tko
Level 2: Rookie

NBN dropouts, very sad realisation

Answered

Hi All,

For about 2 weeks I experience frequent NBN dropouts. The lower 2 LEDs on the black NBN start to flash and the connection is gone for 1-2 minutes. This is clearly an NBN issue, because my neighbours, using different providers (Telstra, TPG, Optus) have the same problems.

I have reported this fault to Telstra several times via the app, as it seems to be the only channel I can use.

Each time I had to go through the same series of questions and "troubleshooting" actions, including a reset of my router, even though I started explaining about NBN box lights and that the same thing happens even if I disconnect the Telstra router totally. The incidents I raised were closed subsequently by the agents and when I messaged them again, I had to start from the very start.   

Just to give you a bit of taste what is the scale of the problem:

The top chart is the number if lost pings (I'm pinging 4 servers and if all tries fail I consider it a miss), and the lower chart shows correlated errors from Telstra's Smart Modem (I consider BFD Supervision fails, with count 3 or 4) in the last 36-hour window.

Let's face it: by the introduction of NBN, we have created a monopoly, that doesn't care about the end customer. Signal resellers, like Telstra, have to pretend they can do anything, and introduce those incident management processes that pretend they are resolving the problems, while in fact, they at NBN's mercy. And NBN simply doesn't care. 

As far as I know, there's nothing I can do to get my service back. I can't even change provider, as they will be connected to the same NBN endpoint, with the same underlying quality.

Or am I missing something here?

Cheers!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN dropouts, very sad realisation

There are multiple parts to the problem.

1. Yes, there is a problem with the NBN Infrastructure
  2. Telstra has to run through the Troubleshooter each time otherwise NBN Co will not accept the works request
  3. NBN Co runs automated remote tests, sees nothing wrong at that exact time and cancels the ticket without checking with the customer to make sure that the problem has disappeared
  4. Customer then has to go through the process at least twice more before NBN Co will actually do anything
  5. Customer at that point should lodge a complaint about NBN Co with the ombudsman (tio.com.au)
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4

You could narrow down the location of the problem by downloading ping plotter and running a test. If location of were you start to get packet loss is in the second hop (Modem to Telstra server) then fault is in the NBN network. 

tko

The issue is much more simple and brutal: the black NBN modem is disconnecting, so nothing leaves my apartment when it happens Smiley Happy No need to chase pings outside. I'm only using ping to catch the moment the connection goes down, and to correlate it with the BDF supervisor errors on Telstra Smart Modem.

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

There are multiple parts to the problem.

1. Yes, there is a problem with the NBN Infrastructure
  2. Telstra has to run through the Troubleshooter each time otherwise NBN Co will not accept the works request
  3. NBN Co runs automated remote tests, sees nothing wrong at that exact time and cancels the ticket without checking with the customer to make sure that the problem has disappeared
  4. Customer then has to go through the process at least twice more before NBN Co will actually do anything
  5. Customer at that point should lodge a complaint about NBN Co with the ombudsman (tio.com.au)
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

tko

That makes sense. It's still difficult to grasp, that Ombudsman seems to be the channel for issues that should be resolved just as normal customer service.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit