Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN dropping out constantly

Finally got NBN at our home and for the first maybe 3 weeks it was fine. Constant speeds up around 30-40 and no real drop outs. All of a sudden I am getting drop outs almost every day, several times a day. When it is working, speed is all over the place. No set times of the day, just whenever it feels like having a snooze we lose NBN. 
Have done the troubleshooting stuff with Telstra, who keep saying it is NBN Co issue and arrange for a tech to visit the next day. Nobody ever turns up. The last time I did it and they arranged for a tech, I got a message saying the fault is resolved and I need to contact Telstra when I am home to perform additional checks. Problem is, there is no way to contact them. The phone number hangs up whenever I mention internet because of the whole Covid-19 thing, I cannot use the app on my phone, and all the bots for chat just keep going in circles saying to use the troubleshooting service.
Anyone else had this problem? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN dropping out constantly

What type of NBN connection is it (FTTN, FTTC, FTTB, FTTP, HFC)?

If you are getting behaviour like you are describing, it sounds like you are on an FTTN connection and there is a loose termination at the Node (or one of the other cable joints between your house and the node).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

HFC connection. NBN was only installed to our neighbourhood in April this year.

Highlighted

If you have a computer that you can plug directly into the NBN NTD (Arris Modem) when the problems occur and see what happens, that would be helpful in figuring our where the problem lies. If the problems keep occurring, then it sounds like a network side issue. If the problems disappear, then it sounds like a faulty modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit