itsus96
Level 2: Rookie

NBN drops out every 30 minutes.

Answered

My connection drops out every 30 minutes. I have been in touch with tech support  a few times about a month ago with the usual resets, change cables etc etc. The last conversation was just over 3 hours long with no help in sight. My gateway event log shows the consistent half hour errors. Wondering if anyone can shed light on what these errors mean please? I started logging the drop out times at 3:51 pm and gave up at 10:30pm just to show that it is that regular.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN drops out every 30 minutes.

The logs indicate a modem fault. If you haven't tried it already you could try factory resetting the modem by pressing reset button located below power button for at least 10 seconds. It could also be due to a WiFi device on your network that does not support Protected Management Frames. If reset doesn't fix problem try disabling Protected Management Frames for bot WiFi bands in the modem's Advanced WiFi settings.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Accepted Solution

The logs indicate a modem fault. If you haven't tried it already you could try factory resetting the modem by pressing reset button located below power button for at least 10 seconds. It could also be due to a WiFi device on your network that does not support Protected Management Frames. If reset doesn't fix problem try disabling Protected Management Frames for bot WiFi bands in the modem's Advanced WiFi settings.

View solution in original post

itsus96

I have reset, now I shall just play the waiting game. If the reset doesn't fix the issue is there any adverse problems that may arise from disabling the PMF?

cf4

Protected Management Frames is a new features that enhances the WiFi security. It is a requirement on all new WiFi routers and was added to the the Telstra Smart Modem about a month ago. It prevents Man in the middle attacks by preventing hackers pretending to be your modem or router. 

If you do find that disabling PMF fixes the problem its best to locate the WiFi device that is causing the problem and check if it has a firmware or driver update that fixes the PMF problem.

itsus96

So far so good! No infamous 30 minute drop out. I shall see how the day proceeds. I had rebooted the modem a month ago during tech advice but hadn't again till now. So hopefully that is all I need. I have 24 different wifi devices so I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)

itsus96

After almost 30 hours and no drop outs I assume all is well. Thanks for your help!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit