rherber1
Level 6: Bloodhound

NBN FFTN Installation Instructions

Answered

A mate of mine received instructions as to how to connect his new Telstra modem to FTTN broadband. The instruction pamphlet was essentially the same as this page https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/nbn/self-install-kit-instructions-for-nbn-fttn...
However, I am confused by the box connected between the NBN wall socket and the modem. It appears to be a DSL filter or something and has two plugs on the output side.
This instruction differs markedly from the Telstra video which sjhows how to connect the Smartmodem to FTTN broadband https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=XsRP8zez2lQ
This video shows that the wall socket connects directly to the modem DSL port via a single cable with nothing in between.
Can somebody explain please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
343GuiltySpark
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FFTN Installation Instructions

That filter box is only needed for ADSL connections and is not required for FTTN Connections.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras

View solution in original post

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

The filter is provided so that you can connect modem to ADSL while waiting for the FTTN connection. It can still be used with a FTTN connection as only the PSTN port is filtered but it is best to remove once connected to FTTN.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
343GuiltySpark
Accepted Solution

That filter box is only needed for ADSL connections and is not required for FTTN Connections.
I work for Telstra, but my opinions are my own and not that of Telstras

rherber1

That's what I thought... So why is it shown as being necessary when changing over to FTTN? Is ADSL running in parallel with FTTN?

cf4
Accepted Solution

The filter is provided so that you can connect modem to ADSL while waiting for the FTTN connection. It can still be used with a FTTN connection as only the PSTN port is filtered but it is best to remove once connected to FTTN.

rherber1

Thanks for the explanation. It would be helpful if the instruction pamphlet and the link in my op actually said what the filter was for. Neither instruction mentions that following migration to FTTN that the filter can be chucked. Not happy Telstra.... (and I worked for them for 37 years)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit