Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Fixed Wireless Slow upload speed for past 6-8months? HAVE TRIED IT ALL.

If anyone can answer me this ill almost kiss them, 
About 6-8 months ago i was getting 30-40mbps download 10-15 upload. think it was 50/20 plan. this was good.

for the past 6 months ive had 1-2 mbps upload with 40-50 download. think the plan is 75/10?

ive had a complaint with telstra for the whole time, and nothing has been done, they sent a tech out who took a number off the nbn box. (like i couldn't tell him that on the phone?) and then said he would monitor it, heard nothing back from them. anyway waited abit was told there was maintenance being done on the line (must be their get out of jail free card because ive been told that 5 times now) anyway it has fixed nothing. 
im a A Grade sparky so i've taken re-wireing the house into my own hands, and sure enough the cable the tech installed was kinked, jammed in-between tiles and zip-tied as hard as he could, go abit more of a stable connection but no speed increase, dont want to touch the dish because i dont have anything to test the singal strength, but i have gotten a new moderm, they wont send me a new nbn box, and yes ive taken everything off the network and tested, i use my pc through ethernet, theres nothing interrupting the signal e.g. printer (ethernet anyways) what i dont understand is how i use to get a good upload speed and nothing has changed? im told that fixed wireless uses 4g the same as my phone, so i did a speed test on my phone, and what do you know 30-40 download, 10.5 upload, same as what it use to be? could i be connected to a different tower somehow? or can the nbn box effect only upload?

ive really tried everything i can. any help is greatly appreciated. ive also been sent a new moderm and used an old one, same speeds. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: NBN Fixed Wireless Slow upload speed for past 6-8months? HAVE TRIED IT ALL.

Hi - some background information as I understand it.

Late last year NBN changed their Wireless offerings by removing their 25/2 and 50/20 plans to replace them with Fixed Wireless Plus 60/20 with the intention of moving that to 75/10 In March 2020. There were also mandatory changes to frequency conditions stipulated by ACMA to mitigate potential interreference issues arising from future 5G deployments. Both these plans were released by NBN on a 'best-effort' speed basis, meaning it was nominal and not guaranteed. Telstra made a decision to offer 60/10, instead of 60/20, to make it easier for customers to move to the 75/10 when that became available.

In the transition to the new structures, maybe your service has been programmed incorrectly in the network as the upload speed appears to be limited to the previous 25/2 service. Hopefully that will be resolved by Telstra and NBN with your continuance of interaction.

The NBN Fixed Wireless Network is independent of existing 4G LTE Mobile Networks, uses a TDD variant of the 4G technology on their allocated frequencies ( e.g. in the RFNSA Map you may see NBN 4G 3550 Mhz on your tower) and unlike mobile 4G devices require your antenna to have line of sight to the cell tower (similar to 5G). So you would be connected to a different Fixed Wireless network maybe co-sharing the same cell tower structure. 

On recall visits, did the NBN or Telstra technician run a speed test by turning off your modem, remove your Telstra modem's WAN cable from it and then connect the red labelled end to their PC to test actual connectivity speed direct to the Fixed Wireless Network on that day? 

This agency's web site will show you where your cell tower is and the carriers that are using it.   https://www.rfnsa.com.au/?first=1

Highlighted

Hello, tech didnt test a thing when he was here only took down a number, and they tried to charge me $220, kinda reluctant to get another one out here when im %90 its a fault on their end. 

i have plugged computer via ethernet straight into the nbn box and it gives me maybe 1mbps more or not even really. 

in regards to getting something actually done who would be best to speak to? nbn themselfs? because i cannot get anything done from telstra, they have that many excuses and the people i speak to on the phone just say "we cant guarentee your upload speed"..
i bet they can do better then 1mbps. 

that cell tower site is what ive been looking for, it seems my antenna is almost at a different tower. about 30 degrees off. 

Highlighted

You shouldn't be charged for an incorrect callout fee to address a transmission problem with the NBN Wireless. The antenna would have been positioned by the NBN Installer using a Signal Strength reading for optimal positioning and you are getting reasonable download speeds, so it doesn't suggest an issue with positioning. The apparent 30 degrees may be so that the radio waves hit the front panel.  

The low upload speeds may indicate an issue with the Radio Transmission (Tx) controller in the Connection Box , but for it to suddenly reduce Upload speeds, it more so points to a Network setting and perhaps why its MAC address or Serial Number was verified by the Telstra Technician. I am not aware of Telstra placing  a ceiling cap on uploads and one would expect that if the cell tower was inundated with traffic demand and did not have enough capacity, both your download and upload speeds would be impacted. Download and Upload Data is sent on different channels in NBN Fixed Wireless rather than the same channel as in 4G LTE.

Have you tried doing a power reset on the NBN Connection Box in case it freshens up the software - Turn OFF the Telstra Modem first so it doesn't link to the 4G LTE BackUp SIM, then power down the NBN Connection Box  - wait 60 seconds to turn ON, then do the PC speeds test direct to the NBN Connection Box again. 

In regards to taking the matter further, NBN generally don't take complaints direct, no harm trying - their web site has provision for same and they may send you back to Telstra. Suggest you contact Telstra for unresolved problem and insist on a Case Number reference. If there is no rectification from  Telstra/NBN within a reasonable time, you can lodge a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, TIO web site using the Case Number Reference. Once it is acknowledged, they pass it on to Telstra who has two weeks to provide a response. 

Highlighted

In trying to establish if it is possible to interrogate the NBN FW Connection Box for transmission statistics, suspect locked like the NBN HFC modem, I am across this whirlpool article which I thought you may be interested in reading as it is informative in many sections.

The wireless modem is actually in the Outdoor Antenna Unit (ODU) and not the internal NBN Connection Box as I had originally imagined, is PoE powered and a reference to NBN doing a 'Desktop Test' on request in Section 16, but I got the impression it would be limited to customers who may fall on outer boundaries of cell coverage and are unsure if they should apply for Fixed Wireless or not. 

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/highlights_from_the__fixed_wireless_discussion__nbn___thread

Are you close to the cell tower - with your transmission speeds being reasonable previously, I expect you would have Green on the ODU and Green on Signal Strength.

Highlighted

hello in response to both questions and thank you. 

have powered down both modem and indoor unit in that order for 30 minutes multiple times, unplugging fully from the wall, doesn't help. 
i was charged $220 for a tech to come and read the box, i argued it and the waved the price, but said that it will cost me money for them to be sent out. 

the indoor unit lights are all green, the odu flashes i think when its connected to the internet or being used? and our signal goes back and forth from 2 orange bars to full green soild bars. 
we have abit of foliage around the house, but this has always been the case. 

im being told "we cant guarantee your upload speeds because you have fixed wireless"
  "we cant do anything because your on fixed wireless"

Im going to have to go to the TIO because its been like 8 months and i really feel like its on their end and they are refusing to do anything because obviously im on fixed wireless and cant get amazing speeds, but ive had 15mbps upload before so they cant tell me its impossible. 

thank you for your time and knowledge, it has given me abit more or an idea of how the unit works also. 

Highlighted

Hope the TIO involvement provides an acceptable outcome.It was a good learning exercise for me as well. A Chinese saying I picked up in a book I am currently reading resonated with me  - "The more you learn, the sooner you know how little you know". 

Generally with radio communications, when download speed is not compromised, it means the cell transmission signal (Tx) to the receiving (Rx) point is strong. In reverse, given historical higher upload speeds, the current low uploads speeds imply the Tx modem in the ODU is either suspect or being manipulated to be capped at lower speeds either at the cell or in the network. The fact that NBN has re-arranged bandwidth allocations by lowering previous upload capacity in order to use that bandwidth to increase its download capacity to comply to new regulations may complicate matters, but hopefully this will be eventually known.

Might be interesting to find out from neighbours or people you know locally to see if they have also been similarly effected.  All the best.

Highlighted

Hi there,

I'm suffering from the *exact* same problem. Fixed wifi, used to get speeds of 40/20, but now I'm lucky to get 30/1. In fact, if I can break 1.5 I'm stoked. 

I've done the power cycling tips, speed tested on multiple devices, etc. etc. What's the best action to try and troubleshoot this?

Highlighted

ive still had no luck, with Telstra being even less helpful then before, and TIO being flooded with complaints so its taking forever. 

ive come to the conclusion that im just stuck with worse then 3rd world internet. 

Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Hi Wemo,

There is not a lot i can add to the conversation that Mkrtich hasn't already covered.

Everything he covered was good advice.

The only other thing I can think of, is there are too many people connected to your nbn tower.

Think of every nbn tower (same goes for mobile phone towers) being a pizza and every customer connected to the tower takes a piece of the pizza, eventually the pizza is going to run out.

of course there is only suppose to be a limited number of people that can connect to each nbn tower to avoid this happening, I doubt in the real world that happens.

It would explain however, how once you had a good nbn speed and now you don't.

I suspect you have already tried this, but have you run a speed test at 2am to see if the speed is any better? as theoretically there would be less people connected at that time of day.

Rohan

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted

Add me to the list also. 3 months ago I was getting 50/20 on  NBN Fixed Wireless averaging out to about 40/15 , now I'm still getting the same download speed between 40 - 50 but my upload struggles to break 3mps?...I run a small recording studio that also offers live streaming events but over the last few months i can't stream out because of the very very slow upload speeds. Been back and forth with Telstra and done all the testing and resetting as the above posters but still no joy...Tell me again why I'm paying for a premium plan than just doesn't work??? . Something has to be done, I can no longer operate my business under these conditions. The really frustrating thing is it was fine 3 months ago was getting 13- 15mps upload consistently?????, so what's changed??????.  

Highlighted
Level 18: Intelligence Chief

Hi @JessB2 

I don't actually work for Telstra, I am just a Telstra customer like you.

So the advice I give is my own, in my own time, and guided by my experience/knowledge.

If you would like to place a fault with Telstra. 

https://service.telstra.com.au/general/home-phone-fault/form;jsessionid=4B9094E50BB0975AE25686A7A62A...

If you would like to tell the Telstra boss,

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/contact-ceo-form

If that doesn't help you contact the TIO,

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint#:~:text=by%20phone%20%E2%80%93%20call%20us%20on%201800%200...

Rohan

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Highlighted

Thanks Rohan...Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi - In my April post, I made an error in following paragraph that I will put down to a senior typo moment as it was the exact reverse of what I thought I typed. 

"The low upload speeds may indicate an issue with the Radio Transmission (Tx) controller in the Connection Box , but for it to suddenly reduce Upload speeds, it more so points to a Network setting and perhaps why its MAC address or Serial Number was verified by the Telstra Technician. I am not aware of Telstra placing  a ceiling cap on uploads and one would expect that if the cell tower was inundated with traffic demand and did not have enough capacity, both your download and upload speeds would be impacted. Download and Upload Data is sent on different channels in NBN Fixed Wireless rather than the same channel as in 4G LTE".

The last sentence was meant to say the reverse - Download and Upload Data is sent on same channel in NBN Fixed Wireless rather than different channels as in 4G LTE".

NBN Fixed Wireless uses Time Division Duplexing (TDD), in a half duplex mode where the Uplink and Downlink is shared on the same frequency, making it more efficient use of limited spectrum than the dual frequency mode of 4G LTE Frequency Division Duplexing (F.D.D.). The advantage of TDD is that it can provide an asymmetrical speed mix and dynamically change that to accommodate different downlink and uplink speeds subject to demand at the network level on one frequency channel, rather than two required in 4G LTE, providing Operators a more cost effective use of limited frequency. 

It's hard to understand what has happened with Fixed Wireless speeds. It looks like 10 Mbps may the new theoretical maximum applied by NBN for uplink. Telstra moved to 60/10 Mbps straight away instead to doing a staged migration from 60/20 to a 75/10, so as an RSP, they must be able to place a cap on NBN Fixed Wireless speeds, so it is difficult to know which organisation has caused the current problem . Their web pages are stuck on old plans that conveniently don't mention Uplink speeds. I don't know if "Best Effort" applies to Fixed Wireless Plus 75/10 or all plans. Given these limits are theoretical and would vary according to local conditions, the fact that existing customers who had previously enjoyed higher uplink speeds, now have downgraded uplink speeds points to a policy decision implementation rather than a possible technical fault. 

The Outdoor Units which accommodate the TDD modem also may have an impact on speed outcomes - early Version 1 units [Square] , which may have been replaced by now, were limited to 2300Mhz operation, later Version 2 [Diamond] and Version 3 [Rectangle] do both 2300Mhz and the higher speed 3500Mhz, with V3 having more technical capabilities that can enhance speed outcomes.

You are not alone - with the change in alignment of NBN speeds, many people have found that their upload speeds are severely downgraded. This morning I read a very 25 page thread on Whirlpool regarding NBN Fixed Wireless experiences - very informative. It seems that NBN, in an attempt to cater for increasing down streaming demands have underestimated the resident Uplink demand.

Direct feedback to Telstra, local Federal MP and NBN may assist them get a better perspective of what customers want. The BIRRRAUS group also offers assistance to people who may wish to lodge submissions with NBN and RSPs - section 12 in Troubleshooting. Not sure if still active -  https://birrraus.com/2016/05/10/troubleshooting-your-fixed-wireless-internet-connection/

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit