Mp45
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTB connection in balmain (2041)

Has anyone managed to get any information out of Telstra about when it expects to restore internet connection in Balmain.

A 4 day outage commenced on Saturday morning and was reported as resolved at 7.15pm on Tuesday night (on the outage tracker and via SMS from Telstra). Since that time, the online indicator on the modem has been solid white. Telstra documentation says this is an issue with the Telstra server.

Telstra call centre plays irritating hold music for far too long to survive the wait to speak to someone. The people managing Telstra's twitter account use dismissive responses, like "asap" to respond to questions about status.

Surely, there is a project manager at Telstra that is coordinating efforts to resolve problems with Telstra's infrastructure. Has anyone been able to find someone at Telstra that can convince Andy Penn that communicating this update is a matter of basic human decency. 

Is Telstra offering to provide free Smart Modems to affected homes? At an absolute minimum, Telstra can provide home internet off its own 4G instead of burning up the battery on my mobile (non-Telstra) data plan. 

Every time something requiring a scent of basic decency (let alone leadership) happens, Telstra consistently fails to get the basics right.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
OllieW
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NBN FTTB connection in balmain (2041)

Morning Mp45, happy to help with that.

Looking at the system, I can see out field team are working on a fix as we speak. It'll likely be a bit more time before everything is fully online but they're cracking on with the repairs now.

Keep an eye on the outages page for updates as they come through Smiley Happy

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mp45

Ollie

That is absolutely NOT helpful.

It is also ignores the point that your own outage tracker says (as noted in the original post) that there are no service interruptions at my address.

Your response is the reason that Andy Penn needs to get involved in your team to encourage you to identify your ignorance, deal with it and learn to think before you act. Basic steps.

You have failed to answer the question about:

1. the timing for resolving the issues so as to restore home internet.

2. the smart modem to use Telstra's 4G for the "little bit more time" that you specify in your response.

NOTHING ABOUT YOUR RESPONSE WAS HELPFUL.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

I would have thought that the fact the there was a team out in the field actively working on the fault would have been a little bit helpful.

An answer on when restoration is expected can't be made until the cause of the fault is identified and any required parts sourced (this may not have happened yet).

Have you asked the Telstra customer service consultants (either by messaging - through the My Telstra app on your mobile, or by logging into your account via telstra.com.au - or by calling 132200) about the possibility of getting a Telstra Smart Modem for your service?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mp45

Nope. Not even a little bit helpful.

A team with basic experience in managing such issues, could use its experience to generate an intelligent estimate of the likely time to restore the service. That would require thoughtful, considerate, intelligent minds to actually apply themselves to the question and then communicate the response. 

Yes - obviously questions have been raised. Consistently avoidant responses have been provided.

Andy Penn needs to get involved with the management of this particular team, to urgently address the basic failures to meet minimum standards.

Questions remain unanswered. Please go away, think, ask Andy to help you think if doing so is beyond your capability, then communicate a meaningful response.

You have wasted my time for a week. 

Jupiter

No. They do not provide an estimate to rectification until after the problem is assessed. Even making an educated guess, then making that publicly available and having to change it to a longer duration pisses people off even more. We have seen that happen here quite often "Why are Telstra so useless, they said it was going to be finished by x and now it's been extend out to y"

Your response to my explanation of what happens is a classic "point proven" in this case. I don't think you'd be happy with whatever Telstra's response was. And yes, I do understand that all you really wan tis it to be rectified, but in the real world, nothing happens instantly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit