Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN FTTC Dropping out

Answered

Hi,

I have recently converted to FTTC from ADSL2. 

My ADSL2 service was solid, no issues with it.

Since converting, I am having problems with the NBN service dropping out intermittently.

I have confirmed the only device plugged into a phone socket is the NBN modem.

When the connection is down, I can still connect to the Telstra Modem (192.168.0.1) and when I check the modem log, there are a series of errors associated with each crash.

ACS connection failed

WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails (multiple counts)

TR069: Inform Fail!!(Invalid URL or ACS unreachable)

WAN: Notify LTE/VOIP to do Data Disconnect/VoLTE off.

PPPoE - stop client on eth0

Ethernet WAN port link is DOWN

All of this makes me think the problem is with the NBN connection?

All of the normal lights remain on the NBN box during the error.

After 3-5 minutes the link comes back up.

The Telstra help desk goes through the same routine of asking me the colour of the lights and to check nothing is plugged in but this has been going on now for over a week on an intermittent basis. 

Has anyone got any clues on where to look or how to get some assistance?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTC Dropping out

Unfortunately the online support is the only way to get the modem replaced. If they are unwilling to replace modem lodge a complaint.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

It could be a NBN or Telstra Network fault or a faulty modem. To rule out the modem and you have a another router or modem try replacing the Telstra modem to see if the fault still occurs. Also check the modem's firmware version. Current firmware version is 0.12.09r. Firmware version no is displayed on LHS of modem's login screen.

Highlighted

Thanks cf4.

The modem software version is showing as 0.12.09r.

Can you use an old TG800 modem by connecting it using the WAN port?

Highlighted

A TG800 can be used with the WAN port connected to NBN NTD

Highlighted

Hi cf4,

Over the past few weeks still having intermittent issues.

• I have had NBN send in their technician - checked all of the cabling and all is good.  I have noted that the link on the NTD remains connected (solid blue) when the WAN / Ethernet link between the modem and the NTD drops. Seem to rule out the NBN cabling to me?
  • I have replaced the ethernet cable between the WAN port on the modem and NTD in case it was faulty.
  • Recently I exchanged the modem as suggested to replace it with my old TG800. This seems to work quite well and has resolved the problem.

Is there an easy way to get the suspect modem exchanged? Going through the online support portal is torture.

Thanks

Damien 

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Unfortunately the online support is the only way to get the modem replaced. If they are unwilling to replace modem lodge a complaint.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

With the xable disconnected from the modem WAN port, does the light on the front go Blue after a few (3 ~ 5) minutes - go into 4G backup mode? Does it stay stable and can you browser the internet in that mode?  Do the dropouts occur with NO devices connected (wi-fi or cable) to the modem?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

Hi, Steve,

When the modem is disconnected from the NTD WAN port, the light on the modem does go blue after a few minutes and into 4G backup mode.

My problem is the modem seems to drop the WAN connection briefly, goes red, and then usually resumes green after a few minutes. It seems that whatever causes the connection to drop, it isn't present long enough to kick over to 4G backup. The problem is the internet is down for 2 or 3 minutes each time this occurs. Sometimes this occurs multiple times but 4G doesn't kick in. If I unplug the cable it does fall back to 4G. 

When this occurs the service lights on the NBN NTD remain solid blue, and the WAN light stops blinking.

I should also say I am connected via ethernet to the modem and not using WiFi, so the problem isn't with the Wifi as far as I can see. I can browse to the modem web interface and see the device status when the fault is occurring and the logs report  WAN  connection aborted.

Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

So with devices connected, and the modem in 4G backup mode you have NO problems, even over a long period of time? This is just to ascertain if the modem/router is OK with the NBN disconnected at the WAN port over a long period of time.

The WAN light will stop working because nothing is connected..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Highlighted

I haven't tried this over a long time because it is way too slow so I don't know if it is stable over time.

I could try this out, its just that swapping out the modem seems to have fixed the problem for now.

I will see if it is stable over time, otherwise as suggested try to see if it will run on 4G and be stable,

Thanks,

Highlighted

Even if modem is stable on 4G the modem could still be faulty. The fault could be with the physical WAN port on the modem. The log print out indicates a problem with NBN connection, the Telstra network or the modem.

"ACS connection failed

WAN: eth0 BFDv4 Supervision fails (multiple counts)

TR069: Inform Fail!!(Invalid URL or ACS unreachable)

WAN: Notify LTE/VOIP to do Data Disconnect/VoLTE off.

PPPoE - stop client on eth0

Ethernet WAN port link is DOWN"

There are no drops when the modem is replaced by the TG800 so it tends to indicate a fault with the modem's WAN port.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit