MillersDale
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTC via cable ?

I currently have Telstra internet connection via cable (HFC).  The NBN is now available and I need to transfer before we are cut off next year.  Telstra advises that NBN is available via FTTC at our address.

I had seen information (videos etc) showing that the FTTC connection was via the existing copper telephone line to the FTTC connection in the street.  As my existing telephone socket is not near a power point, I was in the process of engaging an electrician to move this socket to a more usable location within the house.

While giving me a quote, the electrician also suggested starting the transition with Telstra to get the modem etc supplied.

So I checked with Telstra, and found (via their Getting It Right" document) that apparently NBN will be providing new cabling from the street to the house, via a Utility Box outside the house, and a Connection Box inside the house.  This wasn't what I was expecting, so I queried it via a Telstra chat session - they confirmed that I would be getting "FTTC via Cable" or some such.

Can anyone confirm/explain what this is?  Google cannot find anything like this...

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN FTTC via cable ?

With NBN FTTC connection the existing Telephone twisted pair telephone cable is used. NBN don't install new cabling between the street and the house. The do install a Distribution pillar unit (DPU) in the street pit that is used to provide a FTTC connection for up to four premises. The DPU is connected to the NBN network using optical fiber cable but the existing  Telephone cable is used between the DPU and the premises. NBN also supply a NBN connection box which connects to a existing Telephone socket inside the house. The Telstra modem connects to the NBN connection box. See link below.

nbn™ Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) | nbn (nbnco.com.au)

When the electrician provides the new connection box make sure he disconnects all existing Telephone sockets. These should be disconnected where the street cable enters the house. There should only be one cable connected to the incoming street cable. If there are several cables connected in parallel  a Bridge trap is created which will reduce the performance of the link.

There is no such thing as FTTC via coax cable. The Telstra support person was probably referring to Telephone cable when they said FTTC via cable not coax cable.

MillersDale

Yes, that's exactly what I was expecting (and still am!).  But it is confusing when both the available Telstra documentation and their support staff are saying the opposite.  I didn't want to waste the sparky's time (and cost) if there was some new technology offshoot that I hadn't heard about before!

Thanks...

MillersDale

... I've just found the text from yesterday's support chat with Telstra:

Oh okay, supposedly the NBN Technology that is applicable for your area is HFC because you are in

Cable connection.

NBN run out of HFC connection devices, that is why the technology they will install is FTTC. The FTTC

they install from Cable connection is different from the usual FTTC in other places because yours

will be FTTC to a cable.

"...different from the usual FTTC..." sounded like something special!!!???

Jupiter

The only thing that is special is the consultant who is in need of retraining.

FTTC is FTTC and is delivered over copper wires, not HFC cables.

The HFC network in a lot of areas was decommissioned as it was at end of life and no longer fit for service. They typically rolled out FTTC in those areas.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MillersDale

Thanks, guys - you have confirmed what I thought was the case.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit