givenup2
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN FTTN Connection issue

Answered

Hi, I am having issues with my NBN. It started on the 23rd of Oct, technician had come and fixed the line,  My speed was around mid 40s on the day and had a stable connection. But the next day it had gone done to mid 20's.

I was having regular dropout and slow speed, managed to speak to someone from telstra yesterday, he had done something on their side so I am having stable connection, but at reduced speed, the download speed is 20Mbs, I am on NBN50 plan. 

It's useless using the My telstra app, can;t get anywhere. 

Is there any way to make a complain?  They are now trying to say it's an issue on  the bridge/tap and I need to get my own technician to check it. I don;t see any issue from my end as things were working fine till the 23rd, nothing on my end had changed, especially when the technician came fixed the issue outside, I had a fast connection.

I am really fed up with the service at the moment.

cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTN Connection issue

Not sure what sort of NBN service or Telstra modem you have, but if it is a Smart Modem with 4G backup, disconnect the WAN or DSL cable from the modem and let it switch to 4G Backup mode - it takes a few minutes and the light on the front will go blue/purple to show it is in 4G.  That will give you some ability to access the internet. It will probably be slower than you usual internet connection. I wouldn't recommend trying to stream over it if you are doing any other internet activities.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Do you have more than one phone socket. If you don't then it is unlikely that the Bridge tap is in the house wiring but is a Bridge tap in the street cabling which is the responsibility of NBN to fix. Even there is a bridge tap in your wiring it is unlikely to have bee the cause of the issue. The cause is more likely to be a faulty Termination in the street cabling.

Link below shows how to make a complaint.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

givenup2

thank you. I have made a complaint. the help people on th app are requesting I arrange a technician to check my line. I have only one line coming in and it's connected directly to the modem. 

cf4

I suggest you lodge a complaint with the TIO. 

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

givenup2

I managed to get hold of support on the telstra app last night. Support said that they have they have reduced the speed  so that I can have a stable connection. He told that because of my FTTN connection the cable is old and I am not getting the speed I should without dropout.  When I was on ADSL, i had about 13Mbs and when I switched over to NBN little over an year ago, I didn;t have any issues and was connection around Mid 40's and the speed was close to 40Mbs. This issue seems to have started late Oct.  Supposert basicall y suggested to go down to NBN20, which I refused to. He said he is making a complaint and ecalte to his manager. I told him that if this is not addressed by this weeke, I will take this issue to the ombudsman.

I guess I don;t have much hope, signed up with Telstra to get the new Smart modem so that I can have the 4G backup. I feel like I should have moved to Optus and hopefully would have been able to switch to 5G  when it became available.

cf4

I expect that even though Telstra has applied a stability profile to your line the dropouts will return due the fault worsening and NBN will be forced to fix the fault. The whole cable is probably not faulty but just one of the terminations. The trouble is that the actual faulty termination is hard to find and NBN co is not prepared to spend the time searching for the faulty termination.

givenup2

I had the NBN technician come yesterday to check the lines. He said he had fixed the  some of the joints that were not good. But my speed at home has not gone above 23Mbs, he showed using his tool at the  garage point and showed that  I am getting 45Mbs. He said something wrong from the  garage to my first point where my modem is connected as the modem is only connecting at around 27Mbs.  I have a Cat5 cable running from the garage to the point where I am connection the modem, this cable is about 3 years old. Could it affect the speed that much?

He had asked me to get an electrician to check the connection.

At the moment I have a stable connection, but the speed is 23Mbs. I know I used to get around the upper 30s not too long ago.

cf4

Did the Technician test the speed of the connection using his tool at the connection point in the house?

Could you post the modem's line status? The line status will give a better idea of what is causing the problem. There is an example of line status in the image below. In the Telstra modemls line status is located here.

TG587 Telstra T-Gateway (TG797). Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (LH1000)
http://192.168.0.1 > Broadband Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra Only the .Link Rx and Link Tx are available in this modem.

DSL Link 37 Mbps

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

SteveW_52

If the NBN tech thinks there is an issue with the connection between the garage to the modem, he could be right - Yes, a faulty cable (pinched/chewed/corroded/incorrectly or badly terminated) can cause issues.

You can do a bit of troubleshooting to prove the cable is faulty, before calling a ACMA accredited sparky in to fix it: 

- How is your Cat 5 cable terminated in the garage?

- Can you run a temporary Cat5 cable between that point and the modem and see it that improves the speed (buy a premade one of enough length to run over the floor)?

- Temporarily move the modem to the garage and connect there - does that improve the speed (you can use the temporary cable in the step above to connect your PC)?

- With the modem in the garage, can you connect and test over Wi-Fi?

In each case run a Speedtest a few times, to get a good picture of the performance of the service..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
givenup2

thank you

I have a Arcadyn smart modem so don't have the same screen as you have attached.

I had 33Mbs this morning,  but now I have 24Mbs. 

Below is what the Log suggests when the modem was connected this morning automatically.

27.11.2020 04:06:10 VDSL Media down
27.11.2020 04:06:13 DSL is training ...
27.11.2020 04:06:31 DSL training is over
27.11.2020 04:06:35 DSL is training ...
27.11.2020 04:06:38 DSL training is over
27.11.2020 04:06:48 DSL is training ...
27.11.2020 04:06:57 DSL training is over
27.11.2020 04:07:01 DSL is training ...
27.11.2020 04:07:10 DSL training is over
27.11.2020 04:07:14 DSL is training ...
27.11.2020 04:08:50 DSL training is over
27.11.2020 04:08:50 VDSL Media up
27.11.2020 04:08:50 VDSL Max Downstream rate = 36756, Max Upwnstream rate = 18073
27.11.2020 04:08:50 VDSL Bearer Downstream rate = 37586, Max Upwnstream rate = 11959

givenup2

thanks you, I should have done the test when he was here.  From outside the garage to a point in garage, he had now connected the wires directly, there is no outlet for me to test it.

This morning I was getting 33Mbs,  Telstra case officer spoke to me yesterday and  said to hold on as he thinks there is still some issue on the NBN side. 

Let see what happens, but I have my doubts that it's to do with my cables.

Oct 27th when they came to fix it for the first time, I did get 47Mbs, but the line was not stable.

Now the line is stable.  If I can gte anything above 30Mbs, I shold be fine.

cf4

It looks like there is an intermittent line fault. When the modem was first connected it synced at 37 Mbps down and 12 Mbps up (27.11.2020 04:08:50 VDSL Max Downstream rate = 36756, Max Upwnstream rate = 18073) but a short time later when you took the screen shot the speed had dropped to 27 Mbps down. This is common symptom when there is a intermittent line fault..

The fault is more likely to be in the street cabling than the short link between the garage and the house especially if there is only one connection point in the house.

cf4

Next time a tech visits ask them to check if your line is still connected to the old cable going back to the exchange. This would result in a Bridge Tap and has been known to cause problems with speed and dropouts. The cable acts as a giant Arial picking up electromagnetic noise that causes interference with the VDSL signal.

quony1

I am having the same issue since around the same time. Came home yesterday and no internet or home phone at 3.00pm. left it as it usually comes back up. Noooo hot on the support chat. Did all the checks asked of me. Officer was running tests on his end. In the end after a couple of hours was told there is a fault with the NBN and he had sent a ticket to get this fixed. It will take 24 hours minimum. I said no I work from home and working tomorrow Saturday from 7.00am and need it up. Saturday here and no internet. Lost my overtime now.... Thanks Telstra I will send you my wage bill. Called the 1800 number on the gateway card you get only to be told our PREFERRED way to contact is via message..wtf.  the officer I spoke with was in India so he knew time frame to have this fixed.  Not happy. Paying for service not received or able to use. Netflix.... as well looking where to complain also. Telstra site say on my Telstra app but I can't find it.

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Not sure what sort of NBN service or Telstra modem you have, but if it is a Smart Modem with 4G backup, disconnect the WAN or DSL cable from the modem and let it switch to 4G Backup mode - it takes a few minutes and the light on the front will go blue/purple to show it is in 4G.  That will give you some ability to access the internet. It will probably be slower than you usual internet connection. I wouldn't recommend trying to stream over it if you are doing any other internet activities.

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

givenup2

Unfortunately I am  one of those unlucky ones, I am on FTTN service. The say from the node to my curb pit  is about 500M and then from the  curb pit to my house is about 65M. I am on a battle axe block, so the lead in cable runs across the front house and then on the side access pathway to the garage. I was told that the conduit is bent, so going to have problems replacing the lead in cable - supposedly the one pair is damaged, working on the other pair.

I am hoping the 5G will become available in my area soon enough so that I can switch to it.

givenup2

I have spent so much time on the phone as well as the app. The app support is useless. Try and get them on the phone - 132200. Yes some times it will direct you to the app.

below is the link given by cf4 to me to complain to telstra, I have done it, no response from them yet.

I have not gone to ombudsman yet, but you need to establish that you have tried to resole the issue with Telstra first.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit