Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN FTTN Drop Outs

I have had 5 Technician visits, each have said the issue is not at my end. Only last week was the last Technician visit after being escalated to NBN.co. The connection was stable for about a day after. Now the issue has come back again, with constant drop outs. 

1. Have called several times, and have had several Technician visits.
2. The line becomes stable during these visits to which Telstra says the problem is resolved
3. Once the Technician leaves shortly after the problem resumes
4. Telstra support tested the line while the phone line was unplugged from the wall socket
5. They said the issue was a "Bridge-Tap" fault
6. The Technician came out and said I don't even have a bridge tap at the premise and that this was just an excuse given to me.
7. The drop outs continued and I once again spoke with Telstra, to which they responded with ordering a new Gateway free of charge.

So the fault was diagnosed as a bridge tap to which I dont even have, and while the gateway was unplugged. And after 5 Technician visits all saying that nothing is wrong at my end, Telstra decides to order a new gateway modem? What the hell?

This same issue happened two months ago which lasted 2 weeks and again several technicians were sent out, and again the line went stable while they visited, and again they said nothing was wrong at my end, and again the issue resumed after they left. 

Telstra applied a 50% discount for that month, after complaining and threatening to cancel my service. The connection line became stable again for several weeks - until now. 

Once again the same problem is happening - up to 20 drop outs in 30 minutes, high link retrain count, and after once again several technician visits the issue was not deemed at my end. The connection was stable during their visit and started dropping out again once they left. 

I am **bleep** SICK AND TIRED with this incompetence and going around in circles. Just while writing this the connection has dropped out a further 6 times and counting. I get a message to call telstra (again), for further troubleshooting (again), which then results in being instructed to use the chat app. 

I send a message to the chat app and get a new operator who begins to put me through the same troubleshooting steps of restarting modem, disconnecting it, and then escalating to a technician. THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

Two days before this all started (again), work was done in the area to secure the network. This was done on a friday, the connection was fine the next day, but on Sunday during the rain the same issues i had a couple on months prior came back. Since then both a Telstra Technician and NBN.co Technician have check my line and the node and found nothing wrong. 

Why was I told the issue was a bridge tap when I don't even have a bride-tap?
Why am I being sent a new gateway when the issue was detected countless times while the gateway was unplugged?
Why do you keep sending technicians to my house when all of them keep on reporting that my lines are fine?

WHY THE **bleep** CANT YOU PROVIDE A DECENT SERVICE OR TELL ME WHAT THE REAL ISSUE IS?

There is nothing left to conclude here except that I am being intentionally bumped off and led to believe that this is something wrong at my end when it clearly is not. Either this is sabotage or sheer incompetence. What exactly am I supposed to do here? I have complained in email, I have called up on call waiting dozens of times, I have talked to countless operators via phone, text, and chat app, I have had several technician visits both from Telstra and NBN.co, the Node has been worked local area has been worked on twice now.

One technician suggested I keep the phone line unplugged to force the gateway into 4G backup until this is fixed. 4G backup runs at about 4mbps down and 0.5mbps up speed. What the hell am I paying for if this is the "solution" im supposed to use most of the time? Literally i have counted over 15 drop outs while writing this. 

I AM OVER THIS **bleep**!!! 
I have been beyond patient with this, and you will lose a customer in 48 hours if this is not solved and solved for good. And no I will not be paying any bill this month, and it just may be the last bill you send to me (after 10 years+ mind you of being a customer). It is simple, stop messing with my internet, and stop testing/troubleshooting my end to find a **bleep** problem that does not exist there. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN FTTN Drop Outs

Did the Technician check the street cabling for a bridge tap? An easy way to determining if there is a Bridge tap is to log into the modem and go to advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL > Bit loader and scroll along the graph and check if there are any areas like in the image below.

1. Bit Loading Graph 38 Mbps
Highlighted

Yes, the NBN.co checked the street cabling, this is what my DSL diagnostics is showing. 84 Link Retrain count just today.

Highlighted

Last 45 mins it has kept connected, but i dont know for how long this will last. Since I posted this thread it magically seemed to stop again... for now.

I don't want to keep complaining and escalating an issue just to see the problem temporally stop and resume again. It is why after everything I have wrote above that this seems like something Telstra/NBN is controlling. 

I feel like my service is being tampered with but when I go to raise the issue and complain it suddenly works again for just long enough to tell me that there is no problem and it is now fixed. Then it drops out again and I raise the issue again - around in circles the same experience keeps happening. 

There is a reason I have had 5 technicians here already and none find a fault. It's just too much to be a coincidence that the issue goes away just long enough to give the all clear and log the problem as solved - only for it to resume strait after.  

Highlighted

From your stats it definitly looks like a line fault either probably a faulty connection in one of the pits or pillars. Thes faults are hard to find it some times takes several visits by a NBN tech to find the fault. It might also be a Bridge in the line. To check for this you need to scroll to the right on the graph. Image one below shows line that has a bridge in it. Image 2 shows the line with bridge removed.

Bit Loading Graph 38 MbpsBit Loading Graph 49 Mbps (Bridge Tap removed)

Highlighted

I took several shots of where it had gaps. I'm not sure what im looking at here. But can see some full gaps like in your example, and some large gaps too.I could not find an example similar to your image two with bridge removed. My house only has the Network Boundary Point with a Single Socket. This socket was tested and came back fine, Telstra Technician said he can't touch it as it is NBN.co responsibility, NBN.co Technician looked at it and street cabling and said was fine. 

If this is an issue within the pit or something, how can I get this checked for? Also work was done 2 days before these faults started to happen again. 

Highlighted

The large gap of low bit loading in the second image tends to indicate a bridge tap.

All those small gaps indicate a fault.

If you compare the first image with he image in your previous post there is less bits per tone and also gaps that were not in the i age of the previous post. This to me.indicates a faulty connection that is causing an intermittent fault.

Your drop outs are probably due to the faulty connection rather than the bridge tap.

Highlighted

Ok so the faulty connection can be located anywhere? But I'm guessing not on my network boundary line to the premises and socket as thats been check several times. So does this mean good chance it something underground as the pillar/node has also been checked?

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

It could be anywhere between the Node and your house. Just because it's been checked, doesn't mean that they picked up the fault. They should start by re-terminating at the Node (as a large % of problems occur there), and then eliminate back towards the house from there.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Well Telstra wants to send out yet another Technician. Who will get here and see that the fault is on NBN.co side and leave because they can't touch that. NBN.co tech will come out and say everything is fine and leave. And ill be back here to write another chapter of how **bleep**ing stupid this **bleep** is. 

YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANY MORE MONEY FROM MY UNTIL THIS IS FIXED, AND UNTIL I CONFIRM 1 MONTH IN ADVANCE OF STABLE SERVICE.

Highlighted

Your plan of not paying could end up affecting your credit history, so I'd advise against that. You can request a credit for the period of time that your service isn't working properly.

They should just be booking an NBN Co technician, there is no point in a Telstra technician turning up as they can't do anything.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

@Jupiter Has some good advise, request a credit on your bill until your fault is fixed. At least you can use the 4G backup while the fault is getting fixed. I have found that my 4G backup is no longer limited to 6 Mbps down. I am now geting between 16 a d 20 Mbps when on 4G backup. Upload is still slow at under 3 Mbps.

Highlighted

Yeh ill do this instead. And yeah, I did advice twice that they should just send the NBN.co tech to check the external cables between node and curb. It was only Thursday last week the last Telstra technician said this. He was also confused as to why they sent him out, right before he booked the NBN.co tech that came the day after. 

It has not even been a week and they want to send another Telstra tech to my house - and this is after they remotely tested the line for an internal bridge tap issue of which i said I do not have one. 

They are simply not listening to what I am saying, what I have already been through, and what has already been diagnosed already. Just wasting time and money going around in circles.

The thing is, even if I switch to Optus or some other ISP, it won't make a difference because they are all retailers renting wholesale off of NBN.co infrastructure. Who is paying for these call-out fees for all these technicians I wonder, because so far I'm up to about 7, and if we reach 10-15 then that pretty much makes the income from providing the service for the duration of the contract almost nothing in profit. 

To fix an underground fault, for a customer who is almost costing the company more to have... I just don't like my chances here. I think NBN.co would feasibly prefer that I don't pursue having an internet service at all. 

This stupid FTTN crap is going to cost them more then just doing the job right the first time and rolling out FTTP. 

Highlighted

yeh gotta say the 4G speeds have improved. I remember doing this same test a month ago and was getting 4 mbps down, and 0.5 mbps up.

Now im getting this on 4G backup 
Might aswel stay on 4G.

Problem solved: Unplug the phone line, use 4G backup until NBN.co replace FTTN crap with FTTP.

Highlighted

The problem has been fixed, here is what the issue was-

-The old ADSL line was still connected in the street cabling
-The line I was on was disconnected and NBN changed my service onto a different line in the street.

One thing I noticed, when they sent out a new gateway, I tested the speed with my old one and then strait away with the new one - there was a 50% speed drop just using the new one, so i went back to using the older one. 

If you are experiencing these same issues as I did, ask to be put on a different line and check for any old ADSL lines still connected. Connection has been fine for two weeks now. Hopefully I don't have to deal with this again. 

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

My question, how did you get a technician?  I can't seem to get anywhere ....

Highlighted

Issue has come back again... same **bleep** different month... I am over it. 

Can't seem to have a single month this year without this problem, sick and tired of new operators telling me to power cycle modem and wasting my time. 

It seems that at every turn they try to make it seem like the problem is at your end, and no way what-so-ever could it be a problem with the crappy NBN network. 

Honestly, Australias internet is a fkn meme, too many corrupt assholes that cant seem to do a job properly. 

Highlighted

Telstras Customer service is absolute **bleep**. 

If you troubleshoot with the website, it will direct you to the app to chat. If you call up, it will direct you to the app to chat. 

You use the app to chat and you get a different operator each time from India that just does the standard procedure of getting you to turn your modem off and on. Then they book a telstra technician which you probably dont need. They try to charge you for the technician when the fault is on NBN line. So thats another screw around getting that bill adjusted. 

Then the NBN technician comes out and you will get a stable connection for maybe a few hours - just long enough to tick the job complete and close off your ticket. 

Then the problem comes back....you go the chat app, they tell you to power cycle the modem....

RINSE AND REPEAT 12 **bleep**ing god dam times in a row....

That is beyond incompetence, that is a **bleep**ing procedural policy to stone wall customers because they overload their lines and cant actually service everyone to be online at once. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit