Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTN installation

Answered

What is actually done for FTTN to conect to the house.  I believe I just need a modem as it uses the existing phone line?  The Telstra rep is telling me I need a tech to come to my house to fit a NBN box on the wall

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTN installation

If it is FTTN or a FTTC connection the Technician does not need to install any equipment in your premises, but a technician needs to do work in the street, disconnecting your Telephone line from the exchange and connecting it to the Node. You don't need to be home when this occurs.

For all other types of connections (FTTP. FTTB, Fixed Radio or Hybrid Coax) a NBN Technician needs to install equipment in your building.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

And for an FTTN install, it is a self install most of the time (unless it is a new connection, or the resident does not believe that they are capable of setting it up themselves). Most people going to an FTTN connection opt for self install.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

You are correct. The NBN Box is for an FTTP connection.

In an FTTN connection, you just plug in your new modem and plug the phone handset into the green port on the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Howdy

FTTN install, they use either phone lines or a HFC connection to get NBN to your premise.

It depends on what is available in your area, and what you have in your home already, as to what will need to be done by the NBN technician.

Pretend that you already had Bigpond Cable internet previous to the NBN, and NBN in your area is being delivered via HFC (cable).

In the above scenario, all the NBN technician will do, is install the NBN Cable modem that they bring with them, along side your Bigpond Cable modem, test the signal quality and thats it.

Why you have to be there, for something that will take perhaps 5 minutes, is because the NBN technician has to sign off on the install.

Its annoying that you have to take time off work to be there, but thats just the way it is.

The NBN techs are quite overworked, so are typcially late to their appointments, so keep that in mind.

If the NBN is being delivered via HFC and you dont already have cable internet, then the NBN tech will need to run a coxial cable from the pits outside your home, install an isolator box on the outside wall of your home, then run a coaxial cable into your home and attach a wall plate, then install the modem.

If its via telephone (vDSL), then I believe they will install a device inside your home, and then your router connects to that device, it really all depends on the factors previously mentioned.

Again, theres no self install option, because the NBN technician has to sign off on the work I believe.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If it is FTTN or a FTTC connection the Technician does not need to install any equipment in your premises, but a technician needs to do work in the street, disconnecting your Telephone line from the exchange and connecting it to the Node. You don't need to be home when this occurs.

For all other types of connections (FTTP. FTTB, Fixed Radio or Hybrid Coax) a NBN Technician needs to install equipment in your building.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

And for an FTTN install, it is a self install most of the time (unless it is a new connection, or the resident does not believe that they are capable of setting it up themselves). Most people going to an FTTN connection opt for self install.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit