CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN FTTN Poor service

Hi there

I am resulting to this as i am not getting anywhere over the phone.

Back in November last year i received the telstra NBN package with the Sagemcom Fast 5355, i asked for a premium package which consisted of 100/40 mbps speeds and unlimited data for $130 p/m.

It worked fine for the first 3/4 months and i was very happy with the speeds and the service. I was getting around 95mbps down and around 44mbps up using a speed test on ookla threw the Telstra Sydney server , ping was verry good also at 19ms.

However the last 2/3 months i have been plagued with up to 30/40 drop outs on a bad day so i have been in contact over that time to get this fixed. Telstra sent out the new Telstra smart modem, this did not change anything, i have also tried a third party tp-link td-w9977 with the same problems.

From what i can figure out i am around 100/150 to the node with what i think is the pit 100m away from the node. I am using a 1m 26awg rj12 to the modem and i also expand the network with a 24 port hp procurve switch so i can run my 2012 server and the rest of my Ethernet and Wifi devices. My whole network uses 1Gb connection speeds and congestion on my LAN is not an issue ,, not that this should mater.

Two days ago Telstra thought that a stabilizer profile would help things out, and it did, it was connected the whole two days since the profile was applied , however, my speed is crap and i understand the profile does reduce speed but i am now getting around 75mbps down and around 30mbps up and this gets a lot worse over peak times.

I am at my whits end, i just want what i originally was getting and what i am paying for. I understand  congestion blah blah blah, i was event told to get a 10Gb NIC,, why?? the net is only good for 100mbps isn't 1000mbps lan good enough so i havto go upgrade my whole network to 10,000mbps, what a joke.

So far iv'e been on the phone around 20 times just chasing my tail around, i still haven't had a technician inspect the node connection or my home line. I am not very impressed with this all, why offer something you cant ever provide, giving the over all length of the connection to the node and pit i cant see whay i cant have a fast and reliable service.

If anyone here could be of any help please let me know.

Cheerz Stephen

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN FTTN Poor service

Please post your modem stats so we can have a look and see whats going on:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway or Smart Modem
(DJN2130 & DJA0230 ):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband

Default password is generally 'admin'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Modem
Product Vendor
Technicolor
Product Name
Technicolor DJA0230TLS
Software Version
Firmware Version
17.2.0320-820-RA
Hardware Version
VBNT-V
DSL Version
A2pvfbH043g.d26q

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
1 hour 20 minutes 41 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
16 Mbps 85.59 Mbps
Line Rate
15.66 Mbps 81.11 Mbps
Data Transferred
87.24 MBytes 635.58 MBytes
Output Power
3.9 dBm 14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
4.1, 18.6, 28.8 dB 10.1, 21.7, 34.2 dB
Noise Margin
13.6 dB 13.1 dB

All speed test were done over Ethernet at various times currently 6.30pm a the time of the DSL stats with the stabilizer applied.

Cheerz
Highlighted

@Yastiandrie your thoughts?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The reduced speed is due to the stabilizer profile but the original drops outs could be due to a fault on the line. Could you post the DSL Diagnostics.

Advanced > Broadband > Diagnostics.

Highlighted

Howdy cf4
Modem was rebooted about 2 hours ago

Parameters Last 15 min Current Day Prior Day Showtime
Link Retrain Count 0 0 0 0
Sync Bandwitdh(Down/Up) - - - 83.08M/15.66M
Loss of Sync,LOS(Local/Remote) 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Loss of Framming,LOF(Local/Remote) 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Loss of Margin,LOM(Local/Remote) 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Forward Error Correction,FEC 0/0 1/7 0/0 15/127
Cyclic Redundancy Correction,CRC 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Errored Seconds,ES 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Severely Errored Seconds,SES 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0
Unavailable Seconds,UAS 0/0 137/137 0/0 0/0

These did look a lot worse without the stabilizer with more FEC SES errors
Cheerz
Highlighted

The stabilizer profile is probably masking any fault and as the link has only been up for two hour can't really see anything wrong with those figures.
You usually see FEC errors on a DSL link and few ES, SES and CRC errors but should not see any Link Retrain errors which would indicate the link has had to disconnect and retrain.
Two days is to short a period to see if the stabilizer has fixed the drop out problem. If you have any more drop outs and they don't send a Tech you could raise a complaint but unfortunately NBN CO only guarantee a speed of 12/1 in the coexistence period and 25/5 after coexistence. if you are getting a link speed of 83/16 without any drop outs it will be hard to get them NBN Co to fix the line.
Highlighted

Thanks for your reply

Derp Derpa, one thing probably worth mentioning is that the house has two rj12 sockets and come to think of it i relocated the modem to the second socket around the time this has all been happening. It only dawned on me then hahaha (silly me).

So it would be worth going back to the standard profile and then trying the other socket to see how that then goes??

Also i just checked the socket that it is currently connected to and it has four wires connected to it and the one down stairs that it used to be on befor only has two wires. far as i know these are the only two sockets in the house that work as there are a few old ones.
Highlighted

Not a bad idea, ideally you should only have one socket in the house. The other should be disconnected.

Highlighted

Ok so i called telstra and asked them to revert the stabilizer to the standard configuration. Moved the modem to the kitchen and wired it up with a pretty much brand new 15m rj12 and a 25m cat5E from the modem to my 24port switch in my office/server room.

Straight up i noticed an improvement on speed, here are the stats.

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
22 minutes 59 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
41.63 Mbps 99.12 Mbps
Line Rate
40 Mbps 94.81 Mbps
Data Transferred
7.89 MBytes 2.6 MBytes
Output Power
4.8 dBm 14.2 dBm
Line Attenuation
4.0, 17.2, 26.4 dB 9.3, 22.5, 35.6 dB
Noise Margin
13.1 dB 12.6 dB

I think this is still with the stabilizer on as the noise margin i noticed is still 13.1db up and 12.6 down where as be for the stabilizer it used to sit at around 9.0db up and 6.0db down. I did notice though the DNS was very very slow so i did a factory reset be for those stats and now works fine.

I will monitor the modem over the next week and report back when i have some DSL diagnostics worth reporting.

Thank you all for helping (Even if it was just to re jog my mind) with this problem.
Hopefully its just a dodgy socket and life go's back to normal.

Cheerz Stephen

Highlighted

Just a quick update Smiley Happy
So after a couple of calls to telstra since Saturday nigh i have finally got the stabilizer set back to the standard profile and after a factory reset it all seems fine.

DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
17 minutes 17 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
44.73 Mbps 117.3 Mbps
Line Rate
40 Mbps 107.88 Mbps
Data Transferred
6.67 MBytes 5.77 MBytes
Output Power
5.4 dBm 14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
4.4, 17.7, 26.8 dB 9.7, 22.8, 35.8 dB
Noise Margin
10.3 dB 8.1 dB

The speeds are back to what they used to be and so is the noise margin. While it was still using the stabilizer profile i did encounter some "Link Retrain Counts", about 4 over a 28 hour period. I don't think means much at the time.

I will keep the router active over the next week and see how it goes now with the standard profile again. The modem is still connected to the port that i swapped it back to Saturday night, the one where it originally worked well for 3/4 months so fingers crossed.

One more thing , how does one make a post without having to reply all the time??

Highlighted

Just a quick question, i was browsing threw the DSL DHCP stats and notice that the DHCP lease times are less than 2 hours apart

Lease obtained
2018-06-12 18:45:17
Lease expires
2018-06-12 20:05:06

Would this be causing it to drop out and renew it lease?

Highlighted

Could potentially be a drop

Highlighted

Would you know how long their leases are supposed to be?? I thought they would be within a week or two, will have a look after it renews the lease.

Cheerz
Highlighted

24 hours comes to mind, but I'm not 100% on that.

Highlighted

thanks for your reply

Well what a melt down that just was, modem had only been up 2 hours and 14 mins since a factory reset when boom

Parameters Last 15 min - Current Day - Prior Day - Showtime
Link Retrain Count 0 8 0 1
Sync Bandwitdh(Down/Up) - - - 0M/0M
Loss of Sync,LOS(Local/Remote) 0/12 0/24 0/0 0/3
Loss of Framming,LOF(Local/Remote) 0/12 0/24 0/0 0/3
Loss of Margin,LOM(Local/Remote) 0/38 0/47 0/0 0/0
Forward Error Correction,FEC 0/0 1137/3687 0/0 1622/6660
Cyclic Redundancy Correction,CRC 408/264 1365/1188 0/0 16/19
Errored Seconds,ES 91/117 310/413 0/0 1/13
Severely Errored Seconds,SES 44/76 83/187 0/0 0/12
Unavailable Seconds,UAS 485/511 1284/1356 0/0 0/42

Lost complete connectivity to the point where i hadto do another factory reset to regain a link at all. I pulled those stats just bfor the reset. even since then it has still dropped a couple of times Smiley Sad
Highlighted

Were you able to get that secondary socket disconnected?

Highlighted

i would try it myself but what would i do, just unplug the four wires and tape them up?
Highlighted

The disconnection/isolation needs to be done by a lisenced cabler/electrician.

Highlighted

dang, noticed to once it regained a link that the lease obtain and expiary is still 1hour and 10 mins apart.

So i would have to pay someone to do this?
Highlighted

Yes, the cost would be your responsibility as any secondary sockets sockets are considered customer property, while the primary socket is considered NBNs property. I can't guarantee that having the second socket removed will fix the issue, its its something that should be done regardless.

Highlighted

Ok thanks for that, i will have to get in touch with the landlord for that. Would it be possible to get the NBN co to test the line and how would i go about doing so?

Cheerz
Highlighted

Youd need to speak with Telstras NBN team on 1800 834 273 for line tests to be run and for drops to be investigated. However if its identified that the secondary socket is the cause when a tech comes out, being your property/landlords there may be a fee for service charged to fix it as its not NBNs property.

Highlighted

You might find that if you disconnect the other socket you will lose the signal from the socket you are using. The other socket is probably connected directly to the lead in cable and the socket you are using is connected to the other socket. That would explain why the other socket has four wires.

It would be best a qualified person disconnect the other socket and connect the socket you are using directly to lead in cable.

Looking at the DSL diagnostics it looks like there is a fault with the wiring causing the drop outs. Could be either in the street or in the house wiring. The DHCP lease time should not have any effect. There should be no loss of traffic while the WAN port renews the lease.

Highlighted

Ok thanks, i appreciate you taking the time to help me out, i have gotten further in the last 4 days then i have the last 2/3months.
i think a chat with the landord is in order to make him aware of the situation, the house was plauged with multiple connections and when the last lot of work was done (how ever many years ago), who ever did it had these to sockets wired up so it would be good to get some background on the story an which one is actually the main socket.

Once again, thanks Smiley Happy
Highlighted

ahh i see, i was thinking that would be the case.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit