Minniethemooch
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTN Slow speeds and drop outs

Answered

Hi,

We have had NBN FTTN for around 3 years and it has just gone from bad to worse. Initially we were surprised to find out we could only get 30 Mbps when our contract said 50 Mbps. Over the years the speed has decreased to about 20 Mbps. Over the last 4 months the internet has started dropping out every couple of hours and our 4G was shaped. I have tried raising 2 incidents with no resolution. They say NBN isn’t dropping out and have added a stability profile which means our speed has dropped to 10Mbps and there are slightly less dropouts. The copper telephone lines around here are very poor which I think has something to do with it to. I have checked my modem for link errors and in the last 24 hours there have been 4 line retrain count. Today was a pretty good day for drop outs because I only lost connection 3 times when working. Telstra keep saying they will monitor for 24 hours and nothing comes of this. How can I escalate this to get this taken seriously and fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTN Slow speeds and drop outs

Suggest you lodge a complaint with Telstra. There is information at the link below on how to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

Telstra support at very least should have remove the shaping on your 4G backup. 10 Mbps is lower than the speed  guaranteed by NBN for FTTN connections so NBN should also fix the line fault.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
cf4
Accepted Solution

Suggest you lodge a complaint with Telstra. There is information at the link below on how to lodge a complaint.

https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints/make-a-complaint

Telstra support at very least should have remove the shaping on your 4G backup. 10 Mbps is lower than the speed  guaranteed by NBN for FTTN connections so NBN should also fix the line fault.

View solution in original post

cc83

Hi, Just wondering if you have had any luck? we are in the same situation with our nbn cutting out multiple times per day and telstra saying its not when it clearly is. Same thing with them added to stability thing on but no improvement. I have tried multiple times for help but get the same ring around with going through the same steps and ending up with them monitoring the line with no response afterwards. 

Minniethemooch

Dear cc83,

Since I wrote the post my NBN improved for about a week with minimal loss of connection and was 25 Mbps. Now it’s below 25 Mbps most of the time and my internet dropped out 8 times in last 24 hours. I plan to lodge another fault. If this doesn’t work then a complaint. I’m not sure how I will go as my speed gets as high as 25 Mbps sometimes. I was told by Telstra that there were no NBN drop outs too. It is my understanding that Telstra are talking about the NBN signal not if the modem is actually connected. In my case if I look at the diagnostics in my modem I can see the link retrain count. This is number of times the internet has disconnected which is different from an NBN dropout and might be relevant to you especially if you are on FTTN too. All my neighbours have the same problem to. We are too far from the node and the copper in our area is poor quality. At this stage all NBN will do is apply a bandaid as there no plans to actually improve the FTTN in our area at the moment. 

JM6
Level 8: Inspector

I have the same issue

The Telstra reps say they will monitor the line and contact you with a resolution.

But they never call back or SMS.

I think they just want to get you off the line and tell lies. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Sometimes their idea of "fixing" your internet is to shape it, which they did to you.

If you are not getting close to full speed on your connection, Telstra is obliged to give you a discount each month.

Contacting Telstra is a circus.

Maybe churn to another ISP, as I will do soon. Telstra is hopeless.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit