Elizabeth_L
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTP dropping out

Hello, I have a Telstra gen2 modem and it has been used for 2.5 years. My home internet was keeping dropping out in the past two weeks, 5 times a day on average. Every time it lasted for around 10 minutes with no connection. I tried to reset and restart the modem, but it didn't work. Could you please check what's going on with my internet? Thanks.

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN FTTP dropping out

When you say that the reset and restart of the modem didn't work, do you mean the problem didn't clear? or do you mean the modem didn't reset/restart?

Did the indicators on the the Smart Modem 2 change durimg those brief outages? particularly the front one - normally green, did it go blue?

The Smart Modem 2 has 4G backup builtin which be activated (light changes from green to blue) by an outage on your FTTP service.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Elizabeth_L

After a restart, the network connection will be restored. But every day will be disconnected  2-5 times. And this situation has just occurred in the last two weeks. I have never disconnected so frequently before. I have been running the modem for 12 months without any problems, unlike now I have to manually restart the modem every day. Only 4 devices are connected to the network for daily work. No one is wasting time playing online games, and there is no overuse.

SteveW_52

So the reset/restarts work, but don't fix the problem.

To prove the problem is with your internet service, run the modem on 4G for a while..

- disconnect the cable from the red WAN port 

- after a few minutes the modem will switch to 4G mode (blue light on the fromt of the modem

- leave it that way for a while to see that the connection remains stable

Note, in 4G mode the connection speed will be slower than you are used to. You may also have some problems connecting to sites (4G might only be set for IPv6 but that can be easily changed to IPv4 and IPv6 together, if that is the case).

The idea is to see that it is not a modem fault, leaving the FTTP service as the likely culprit, which you can then report to have Telstra look into it and get the service repaired..

If the outages still occur, it might be a device you have connected to your network..  have you upgraded/replaced a device recently?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
TommyR
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Elizabeth_L

Just checking to see how you went with SteveW_52's advice? Are you still having the dropout issue?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Elizabeth_L

Hi, Tommy,

The situation got better after I turned off the Band Steering. The reason for the disconnection seems to be that I did not distinguish between 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ SSID names before, which resulted in free switching between the two frequency band.

laurenyvonne
Support Team
Support Team

Glad to hear it's improved somewhat Elizabeth, reach out if anything changes and we can assist in any other way.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit