Level 1: Cadet

NBN HFC connection in premium plan only show 19mb upload speed

just moved NBN from another provider to Telstra, and the download speed is quite nice around 105MB, however the upload is 18-19mb only, which is not 40mbps, 

is it normal? thought it should be 100/40 mbps plan.

secondly, do i have to connect to the Gen 2 smart model for HFC?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN HFC connection in premium plan only show 19mb upload speed

NBN offers two 100 Mbps download speed plans one with 40 Mbps upload and the other with 20 Mbps. Looks like Telstra is using the 100/20 speed plan.

You don't have to use the Telstra modem you can use your own. You do need to use the Telstra modem if you want 4G backup and a phone service. The smart modem can be used as an VOIP ATA connected to a LAN port of a third party router or modem.

Level 1: Cadet

thx mate, it explains now. funny thing, i checked my friend who is using telstra NBN service as well which is not HFC but telephone cable. which gets 100/40 mb speed. so guess this is the plan (100/20) offered to HFC user?

just want to make sure there is no speed issue in my connection.

Level 21: Augmented

I just had Superfast applied to my HFC connection which was previously 100/40.. (actual 108/38)

To get that I first got 'upgraded' to premium which set my NBN at 100/20 (actual 108/25)

Then Superfast was added 215/20 (actual 250 ~ 270/27)..  

NBN play with the D/L and U/L bandwidths to prepare for the higher speed downloads.

So I think for premium, your speeds are probably 'normal'.

You don't have to connect the Smart Modem 2, but if you got one from Telstra, they aren't a bad modem. There are two types Technicolor and Arcadyan - look very similar but different GUI. The SM2's give you a 4G backup capability which is a handy feature but gives reduced speeds of course. If you are getting a home phone service, that is delivered through the SM2.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Telstra switched to the "new" NBN100 speeds (100/20) about 6 months ago. So if you connected or changed plans after that point, your uploads would be 20Mbps. If you connected prior to that (and haven't changed plans since) you should be on the 100/40 tier.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

I am aware of that @Jupiter  but have knowingly changed. Maybe your comment is better directed to the OP?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit