Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN high ping

I just got NBN today and the speed is really good.. Unfortunately, my ping has increased. 

Adelaide server: im getting http://www.speedtest.net/result/4711449189.png

With Darwin server im getting : http://www.speedtest.net/result/4711453891.png 

I live in Darwin and my ping is somehow higher??? Any ideas why? 

When I was on adsl, my ping on the adelaide server is 60ish and now its 80ish.. 

Is the problem on my end or telstra's?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN high ping

Hello,

You should ring Telstra NBN technical support on 1800FIBRE

Thanks

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Ive had nbn for a few months now and live in Palmerston. Same deal Im getting super fast download speeds but my ping is almost double what it was on adsl (around 90ping). Which is great if I am just downloading and using multiple devices in one house but im a gammer and am disadvantaged enough living in Darwin. I was really hoping for a latency reduction with fibre but I guess not. I have a friend that lives in Casurina and is with Internode he get about 5 ping so Im thinking it might be a telstra problem.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Kiknhrd, 

So that we can get the best information and assistance for you, I'll be flagging your post with our Social Media Tech Team so they can touch base with you to investigate your concerns in more detail. 

Regards

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I have spoken to your nbn tech team yesterday they told me that there is nothing they can do as they are proving me with fast download speed. They also told me not to look at the ping that it means nothing?? Well its great to see they know what they are talking about. It will cost me $300 to break contract. I guess ill have to put up with the lag for a bit longer 😔
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Kiknhrd, 

Have a look through the following article as it may help in minimising your ping.  

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/How-to-optimise-your-gaming-performance/ta-p...

As BigPond doesn't guarantee any set Pings times or Latency, our Technical Support team will be unable to help in this area, 

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks Ben Ill give a try when I get home
Highlighted

Hi Ben I was unable to acces my line profile. See pic below bigpond.PNG

Highlighted

did a speed test to google from modem ping.PNG

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Kiknhrd,

As mentioned in the article line profiles are only available for ADSL2+ services.  In regards to ping testing it is important to remember that ping tests are considered low priority trafficby our systems and as such will reflect increased response times as other traffic is prioritised, or the ping packets dropped from the queuing traffic.

- Ben 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit