Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN + Home phone + ATA

Answered

Hey guys. I just got NBN to my unit by FTTP tech. I want to keep using my netgear d7000 router. However I just realized that I wont be able to use my home phone, as that service is now being delivered through the NBN connection over VOIP. Than essentially restricts me to the router provided by Telstra. 

I was wondering if I could use an ATA to connect my own router to my home phone to make use of the line? Does anyone have any experience with that particular configuration? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN + Home phone + ATA

You can't use an ATA as Telstra do not provide the SIP password required for it to work.

What you could do it connect the WAN port of the Gateway Max to the LAN port of the D7000, but disable NAT, DCHP and wireless on the Gateway Max before doing this. Your phone will still work with the Gateway Max in this configuration.

So the network would look like this:

NTD==>D7000==>Gateway Max==>Home phone

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN + Home phone + ATA

You can't use an ATA as Telstra do not provide the SIP password required for it to work.

What you could do it connect the WAN port of the Gateway Max to the LAN port of the D7000, but disable NAT, DCHP and wireless on the Gateway Max before doing this. Your phone will still work with the Gateway Max in this configuration.

So the network would look like this:

NTD==>D7000==>Gateway Max==>Home phone

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit