Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN in the street but apparently not in the connection area and NBN wont connect!

Hi

I currently have a landline service with ADSL but my ADSL drops out every year and a Telstra Tech must come out and repair the line fault.  This has happened every year for as long as i can remember. This year it happened on the 14th of May and they reprogramed my line or something and has happened again on the 23rd May and now I am told the line has a physical fault on it the tech needs to come out again. Twice in 9 days isnt good enough.

I am 7.5km from my exchange and the lines in our area are old and this is no doubt why I have an issue every year.

NBN has recently rolled out in my area and when i say this it it out the front of my house. NBN say that i cannot be connected  as i am not is a connected area which is complete rubbish as the houses on the next street have NBN on both sides.  I have a pit directly out the front and one 300m north of me and one 700m south of me.  The one south of me has the connections for houses on that street but the pit out the front of my house only has the large ring cable.

I was enitially told that "as i live in a field" i will never get it but considering it runs straight past and the conduit is out the front they only have to drag a cable through. 

I have even offered to supply the trench and conduit and draw wire from the pit to my house as I am an electrician anyway and can get this done.

I have exhasted all options that I know of and I dont know anyone high enough in telstra or NBN to actually come to site and get the ball rolling on this project. 

Any help in this matter will be much appriciated.

Email address removed to protect your privacy as this is a public forum and not a direct customer service channel 

Cheers

Cameron

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN in the street but apparently not in the connection area and NBN wont connect!

Hey Cameron,

Welcome to Crowdsupport,

Crowdsupport is mainly a forum for customers to help each other and discuss different matters, there are staff who monitor and mediate, however it is not like a normal contact channel.

My understanding is that regardless of anything, until NBN co mark your addres as 'Ready For Service' there is nothing that any ISP, including Telstra can do. Based on what I have read of the way NBN Co take control of the pits and inferstructure Telstra are also limited in what they can do, once it has commenced it is essentially a maintain only sort thing... 

I am in a similar situation, we are right near the exchange and our street was wired up with fibre in order to run it to the exchange, so it is going right past our house and yet we cannot connect because NBN co have said we aren't going to be "Ready For Service" for at least another year... and everytime we have a fault it is just resolved when it arises because from what the last tech told me there wasn't much he could do but patch it up... and it isn't distance from the pit or exchange because I have a pit right out front of the house and we are <500m from the exchange...

Often until the entire Brown Field (the existing area they are upgrading) is complete they will not allow anyone to connect, so for example, we won't be able to connect until the fibre is ready for the people at the opposite end of our zone... so the entire zone/field is activated at the same time... 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: NBN in the street but apparently not in the connection area and NBN wont connect!

Hi. Just curious as to what suburbs you are in. I am in Broadford which is about 80k north of Melbourne and the lines here are crap. I have had a technician out 4 times since we moved in in Feb. Last visit a couple of weeks ago he tried to blame the ADSL line filter (which wasn't actually installed, only the phone). The reason I asked is I was led to believe that the NBN was to help out the country folk that had crap connects or no broadband at all. All I seem to here is the inner suburbs getting it. Broadford isn't tagged in their "2 year". Sounds really fair to me.

PS. Being an electrician doesn't mean you can dig trenches to pits at the front of your house.

Highlighted

I am in Gippsland, about 200KM east of Melbourne.

The areas outside of the towns here have now got NBN wireless (or people on the edge of the towns such as our neighbor who has NBN Wireless) but the people in the towns have to wait and wait and wait... Most of Adelaide and a fair chunk of melbourne will be connected before we will... I mean we are building in the suburbs of Adelaide and by the time we move in that will be connected and that was only started end of last year, but the connection out front of here was done over 18 months ago but then the town was moved from a 6 months wait to start, to not starting until next year at earliest (according to someone I spoke to at NBN Co) 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit