Special_N
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Installation and data points

Answered

I'm building a house and I'm required to install NBN by my estate. I need to make sure the NBN box and data points are located correctly as it will be almost impossible for the external electrician to change after the building completes. 

I have no clue about how NBN works, and my builder wasn’t able to explain to me either. If anyone on this forum can give some idea, it will be much appreciated

• What is “data return” on the electrical plan
  • My tender says “ 2 Cat6 internet only points plate to run to same internal location”. Does it mean “data return” and Internet-only point should be at the same location?
  • I am not sure the electrical plan that my builder provided is correct. Anyone can recommend the best locations for the NBN box and data points to get the WIFI signal

[Moderator Edit: Removed images]

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Installation and data points

I am hoping that they are installing a Patch Panel along with the NTD and then running the CAT6 cabling from the Patch Panel to your Data Points. It will make life a lot easier in the long run.

Also, I note that there is no data point being installed in the Office. That would seem like a big oversight.

An Ethernet cable will run from your NTD to your modem/router and then to your cabling throughout the house (hence why a patch panel is recommended). Plus you might need an Ethernet switch if you end up with more than 4 outlets in your house.

Not sure what they mean by "Data Return", not a term that I have heard used before.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

If you are going to want Wifi to cover your house, you are most likely going to need a wifi router on each floor.

The number of data points and their locations are going to depend greatly on the number of devices that you are going to be using in each area and what they are going to be used for.

In my house, I have 2 data points in the Lounge (1 for the TV system and 1 for a Wifi router that has 4x1Gb Ethernet Ports), 2 in the Home theatre, 1 in the Master Bedroom and the patch Panel in the study (I have an FTTN connection, so that is where the phone line comes in).

You definitely need one wherever you set up the office. It is far more reliable with IT equipment if you can plug it in with an ethernet cable. The same goes for Smart TVs and things like Telstra TV. A hardwired connection is going to give fewer problems in the long run.

An ethernet switch it a powered unit that takes one LAN cable as an input and splits it amongst a number of extra ports. I have a 4 port switch in my study so that I can distribute the data conenction throughout my house. I also have a couple of Network Attached Storage Devices (big hard disk arrays) that I use to store the family photos, videos and data files on and I can display them on any TV in the house. These also required LAN ports for connections.

Things like Phones and Tablets use wifi, so you will need to have a look at your setup to see where people are going to be using these devices and place your wifi routers so that you get good coverage in these areas. Wifi is not particularly good with multiple floors, hence why you will need one on each floor. You might find on the ground floor that you need 2. One for the back half and one for the front. Don't panic about that now. Get the data cabling in and then you will be able to map out your coverage and see what you need then.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

I am hoping that they are installing a Patch Panel along with the NTD and then running the CAT6 cabling from the Patch Panel to your Data Points. It will make life a lot easier in the long run.

Also, I note that there is no data point being installed in the Office. That would seem like a big oversight.

An Ethernet cable will run from your NTD to your modem/router and then to your cabling throughout the house (hence why a patch panel is recommended). Plus you might need an Ethernet switch if you end up with more than 4 outlets in your house.

Not sure what they mean by "Data Return", not a term that I have heard used before.

Shashidhar
Level 4: Private Eye

Hi @Special_N,

Good Day!

Please check the instalation guide for NBN by Telstra.

Regards,
Reddy

I am a Telstra Employee but participate in the forum on my own time, my opinions are my own and don't necessarily represent my employer.

Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out
Special_N

Thank you Jupiter.

I will ask my builder to install a patch panel. What does "Ethernet switch" do?

What's the best location to put a modem? Do I need one for each floor?

The office will be changed to a small living. We will change the Rumpus to a big office. Do you think it is better to relocate one data point from Family to Rumpus(Office)?

Thanks

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

If you are going to want Wifi to cover your house, you are most likely going to need a wifi router on each floor.

The number of data points and their locations are going to depend greatly on the number of devices that you are going to be using in each area and what they are going to be used for.

In my house, I have 2 data points in the Lounge (1 for the TV system and 1 for a Wifi router that has 4x1Gb Ethernet Ports), 2 in the Home theatre, 1 in the Master Bedroom and the patch Panel in the study (I have an FTTN connection, so that is where the phone line comes in).

You definitely need one wherever you set up the office. It is far more reliable with IT equipment if you can plug it in with an ethernet cable. The same goes for Smart TVs and things like Telstra TV. A hardwired connection is going to give fewer problems in the long run.

An ethernet switch it a powered unit that takes one LAN cable as an input and splits it amongst a number of extra ports. I have a 4 port switch in my study so that I can distribute the data conenction throughout my house. I also have a couple of Network Attached Storage Devices (big hard disk arrays) that I use to store the family photos, videos and data files on and I can display them on any TV in the house. These also required LAN ports for connections.

Things like Phones and Tablets use wifi, so you will need to have a look at your setup to see where people are going to be using these devices and place your wifi routers so that you get good coverage in these areas. Wifi is not particularly good with multiple floors, hence why you will need one on each floor. You might find on the ground floor that you need 2. One for the back half and one for the front. Don't panic about that now. Get the data cabling in and then you will be able to map out your coverage and see what you need then.

Special_N

My builder finally arranged their electrician consultant to contact me I was told that the locations wil be

NBN connection box - Garage
Telstra modem - Family
1x data point Rumpus
1x data point Casual Living
1x internet only data point in Master

If Guest bedroom doesn't get signal, we will put a wifi extender

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit