Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN Installed NO Landline

Answered

My elderly mother recently (20FEB) had the NBN connected after her ADSL service stopped working reliably after the NBNCO went through her street.

From this point in time, she has had NO LANDLINE!

Despite me calling both Telstra (as they are supplier) and then NBN daily (two calls a day in some cases) over the past 10 days with promises being made to 'call me back', 'it not Telstra it’s the NBN' (they haven’t finalised their paperwork)' and basically getting the overseas call centre run around both my mum and my family are now at our wits end to get this situation resolved!

Everytime I call Telstra i have to re-explain the problem time and again - dont you keep records of previous calls??

My mother is elderly and not well and relies on her landline to stay in contact with her family, husband (in a nursing home) and her doctor and to feel safe in her house.

So in frustration I have made an official complaint with the TIO this morning.

Telstra and NBN you should be both ashamed of yourselves.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Installed NO Landline

Good afternoon!

Well good news!

After three weeks, and countless call and a official complaint logged with the TIO, Telstra and NBN weve had success - the complaint to the TIO got things moving at a much GREATER PACE...

Telstra sent out a tech' and within 16min (yes that all it took) mum was able to recive calls!

The tech was at a loss at what the problem was ; he had not come across it before - anyway, surfice to say everything is back to normal, just a great shame that it took three weeks and countless hours on the phone and high levels of distress and frustration on the family's part to get where we are today.

Thanks to all on this forum for your valuable assistance, it is greatly appriciated!!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Has the phone been plugged into the back of the modem (or if it is one of the T-Voice 502 handsets, paired to the Modem)? And no phone plugged into the wall socket?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi There - thanks for responding.

The phone has been plugged into the modem - no connection to the wall.

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Is It a FTTP connection (NBN box on wall) or a FTTN connection (no NBN equipment)?

If its a FTTN connect the DSL port on the modem to the phone wall socket using normal phone cord.

It will take up to 10 minutes before phone starts working.

Highlighted

I have checked on the NBN site and she has Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection - so the extra cheap soloution.

Does this make sence??

My wife and i have connected the set up as per the Telstra help card.

The guy who installed the NBN had put a splitter in, which the Telstra card says not to do so we took it out. (the splitter).

Highlighted

If it a Hybrid Fibre Coaxial (HFC) connection the phone line is not used for NBN. The NBN technician should have supplied a cable modem. The WAN port of the Telstra Modem is then connected to NBN cable modem.

Have you noticed any green cabinets in the area about the same size as a PMG letter box. If you have then it should be an FTTN connection.

If she used to have a back to base alarm system try plugging modem in the same socket the back to base alarm system used.

Highlighted

No BTB alam etc has ever been fitted.

Carnt say that ive seen any green cabinets around teh nearby streets - then again i wasnt looking for one Smiley Happy

A cable modem (a NBN black one) was supplied and she was sent the white telstra modem with all the colour coded cables.

All the connections are in place.

The phone line is connected directly into the white telstra modem (and into the correct port).

So where from here...?

Highlighted

Is the WAN port of the telstra modem connected to black NBN modem and is that connected by coax cable to coax wall socket .Is the black NBN modem and telstra modem turned on?

Is Link light on Telstra Modem Green and On line (Internet light) green?

Highlighted
Highlighted
Level 14: Field Agent

@FrustratedNBN

My understanding is that the NBN was connected recently to replace ADSL. You believe that all equipments have been connected corerctly.

Have you been able to use internet at all with NBN connection? e.g. connect mobile or PC and browse internet

If you have been able to use internet then your equipments connection is okay, and the landline problem is purely Voice Over IP issue and we can trouble shoot from there.

Highlighted

@FrustratedNBN

By the way, are you using the NBN now to access Crowdsupport?

Highlighted

Hi All,

Yes, it is our belief that all is connect as it should be as per the Telstra help card that came with the modum.

We have green lights in all the places there should be (apoligies for not mentiong that before)

I can confirm that we have been able to connect her IPad via WIFI get onto the net.

So its sounds like a VoIP problem then??

Highlighted

No  - I'm using my home computer.

Highlighted

If you have been able to conenct her Ipad to her NBN and connect to the internet, then the equpments have been connected correctly. There is no need wasting time re-checking connections.

It is definitely a VOIP issue.

VOIP is an application that runs on internet. Her internet is okay (because you can connect her Ipad and go to net), the VOIP application is the issue.

Please logon to the gateway http://10.0.0.138 and check the Telephony section.

Can you see if the VOIP account has been registered? The phone number should appear in the telephony section.

Highlighted

Thanks!

Can I do this from my home or do I need to be at hers?

Highlighted

If her phone is plugged  directly into correct socket on modem there is nothing you can do as there are no setting on gateway.

Ring Telstra NBN support on 1800 834 273. and .get them to fix the phone

If she was supplied cordless phone it has to be paired with the modem.

If all lights were green including Phone light then phone is registered

Highlighted

If I spend any more time ringing that 1800 number in likley to take up drinking again...and get sent to the nut house.

Hence the reason I came to this forum in case we had missed something.

Mum does have new cordless phones and they are paired...

Sorry I understand your trying to help it is appriciated.

Highlighted

@FrustratedNBN

You have to logon to http://10.0.0.138 from her network, therefore her home.

I dont think you have configured remote management for her network.

Highlighted

If all lights on gateway are green there is nothing you can do except try plugging a phone into the phone port on gateway and checking that PSTN port on modem  not connected to wall socket. . If that doesn't work you have to call support 

Highlighted

@FrustratedNBN

I am assuming you have a white modem Sagem F@st 5335

Please logon to http://10.0.0.138

user: admin

password: admin

Can you see a phone number as illustrated on the screen shot below? This is to ensure that VOIP has been registered.

Do not complicate things by pairing a wirelss DECT phone at this stage. You can do this later.

Just connect a traditional phone to the green port at the back of the modem with a normal phone cable. Can you hear a dial tone?

If you can hear a dial tone, try making phone call and receive call.

can you see a phone number SAGEM.jpg

Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up - i will go over this afternoon and give it a crack and then report back with outcome (good or bad) Smiley Happy

Cheers.

Highlighted

You are welcome. Hope all goes well.

Make sure that internet works (e.g.  browse internet with Ipad) and then continue checking VOIP as per previous message above.

If VOIP still does not work, please power cycle the White Telstra Gateway (i.e. turn the power off and then on) and wait until all lights are green. Check the internet then check the VOIP again (i.e. phone number appears in Gateway, etc) as per previous message above.

If it still does not works check the Gateway log. This would tell where the VOIP fails.

To check the log. logon to http://10.0.0.138 password user: admin password: admin

Click on Advanced -> Gateway Settings -> Maintenance -> Logs

Scroll through the Logs from top to bottom and find all entries tagged with "VOICE".

check logs.jpg

Find entries tagged with "VOICE"

Telstra VOIP log.jpg

Highlighted

Good afteroon

Currently at my mums house. We have gone through all the stages as suggested - I confirm her number is registered, the wifi and pic internet working ok.

But there is something different.

we can now make calls out on the landline to mobiles and fixed lines etc ( not sure if we did anything to make this happen)

we cannot receive calls from landlines or mobiles.

the riddle continues... any suggestions please?

Highlighted

If phone light on gateway doesn't turn blue during and at start of incoming call then it is a network fault and you will have to ring support.

If the phone socket of gateway is plugged into telephone wall socket this could stop incoming calls from ringing but  will not effect outgoing calls.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Good afternoon!

Well good news!

After three weeks, and countless call and a official complaint logged with the TIO, Telstra and NBN weve had success - the complaint to the TIO got things moving at a much GREATER PACE...

Telstra sent out a tech' and within 16min (yes that all it took) mum was able to recive calls!

The tech was at a loss at what the problem was ; he had not come across it before - anyway, surfice to say everything is back to normal, just a great shame that it took three weeks and countless hours on the phone and high levels of distress and frustration on the family's part to get where we are today.

Thanks to all on this forum for your valuable assistance, it is greatly appriciated!!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Good afternoon All,

Well, good news - three weeks later and a official compliant to the TIO (that did the trick) and mum now has all here services again.

A telstra tech was sent out and within 11 minuites (yes that long) all sorted. The tech was at a loss to really explain what the problem was as we had done everything correctly...andway he was very nice to mum and checked everything twice just to make sure.

Just wish it didnt take thrtee weeks of grief!

Thanks to all on the forum for your help as your tips certinally helped out alomg the way - greatly appriciated

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi nbn installed 1 month ago.  This the second outage.

Landline, netflix, internet  none working. Luckily i have a tablet to use now.

Please reply with answer.  Heard fire in telstra contact centre adelaide.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the post frustrated611.

All of our widespread disruptions are listed at http://tel.st/6x6a

In regards to the fire, earlier yesterday there was a small fire at Waymouth exchange which was quickly extinguished.  We shut down power at part of the site while technicians inspected some of the equipment.  As a result a number of fixed line customers in Adelaide were unable to make or receive voice calls and as of 7:30 CST last night the large majority of services were restored. Technicians continue to work on resolving a small amount of services with restoration expected in the coming hours. We’re sorry for the interruption caused.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Who or what is TIO please??
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hey bagman54, welcome to CrowdSupport.

The TIO is the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman. They are an external party to telecommunications companies and exist to resolve disputes between customers and their service providers. You can find more information here: https://www.tio.com.au/.

If you have a matter to bring before the TIO, be sure to have read through precisely what they can and can't do before you get in touch. In most cases, you are also required to have been through a provider's formal complaints process, and have that complaint closed without coming to a mutually agreed upon outcome.

Is there something you need some help with? I'm happy to do what I can to assist.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

All,

My dad's having the same issues. He was migrated to NBN at the end of April (28/04/2017) and hasn't had a phone line since then (Almost 2 months). He's in the Wyong area on the Central Coast in NSW.

He's on a voice plan - Telstra Voice Plus Advanced, so he's not even using it for the Internet. He's made about 5 phones calls to your call centre (40 minute wait time on average). The first 3 calls, they told him there was a fault and that it's being investigated and will be "resolved shortly". It was only the 4th call made about 2 weeks ago, that they diagnosed there was a fault with the modem and they need to send out a replacement modem (interestingly, this was the only time the guy on the phone actually went through the troubleshooting process with my dad - check cables, lights, etc.)

Then just this Monday (19/06/2017), dad called again (another 45 min wait) for a update on when the modem will be delivered. He was told another few more days. All he wants is a working phone line and not having to use his mobile phone to make/receive call. (especailly the 45 minute calls to Telstra on his mobile). He was also told there is no reference number for these calls/complaints that he has made. I only hope these are recorded on your system. I think a TIO complaint will be lodged shortly if we don't get the modem by the end of the week. I would also think that he won't be billed for the service until this is resolved and some compensation is made. He just paid his bill (up to end of April).

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

HI Martin, I can appreciate the concern for your father being without the phone line and trust this modem replacement will be received soon. While we're not able to access accounts or make changes to services via posts on these forums, I can have this followed up by our NBN Support teams if you can provide further information through our secure link at  www.telstra.com/24x7help

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit