Vick66
Level 3: Gumshoe

nbn intermittent drop outs

How  do I get someone to listen to a problem rather than just following a script?

For the past couple of weeks our internet connection drops out randomly & then comes back up 5-10 minutes later. This can happen several times a day, then not for 2-3 days. I’ve called Telstra when it is down, but by the time I actually get speak to someone, inevitably it has resolved itself.

The first two times, the consultants ran their testing, told me there is no current problem with the service, and closed the issue. So unless I am actually able to get a random drop out to coincide with having an actual person on the phone, they say there isn’t a problem.

The 3rd consultant put 24 hour monitoring which showed no problem so they closed the incident. There were no drop outs in that period, so of course the monitoring would not have detected anything.

The 4th time I was on the phone for an hour while they ran tests, again, and asked the same questions, again, then decided that I need a new modem. They put me on hold to sort the order out and the call cut out. I waited for a call back but didn’t get one.

An hour later, it dropped out again. I called back (call 5) and was advised that there was no current incident for my account. No modem had been ordered.

This 5th consultant, after the same questions and tests, advised me that they had run “extra” tests and could see numerous drop outs over the last 24 hours. I asked why the earlier 4 consultants didn’t see that as well. No response was given, and back to the script we went.

They then advised me that they had detected a fault at their end and a technician would be needed and booked one for me for 3 days time.  I was frustrated that it had taken a week of calls and 5 people to identify an issue, but thanked her.

Ten minutes after this call ended, I received an SMS that the nbn team had run tests and there is no current issue with my service so they have cancelled the appointment.

I am now stuck in limbo. My kids have online exams in just over a week, and I have no idea if the problem is fixed, or if the nbn team has just run the same tests and not found a problem at that exact time. 

I’m ready to give up. Any suggestions? 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: nbn intermittent drop outs

Intermittents are the hardest things to diagnose and repair, and I would suggest are well beyond the the knowledge and skill  level of Telstras 1st level support..

So a bit of troubleshooting on your side..

- what sort of service do you have?

- what equipment do you have, Telstra/NBN, make and models?

- when the fault occurs, what indications show on the equipment?

- how frequently does it happen and how long does it last?

- Does it affect all the connected devices or just some?

- If you have a Smart Modem 2, unplug the red WAN cable or grey DSL cable from the modem, the device should switch into 4G backup mode (blue indicator) after a few minutes..  run it like that for a decent period of time (cover two or three times the period where the internet service has dropouts)..  does the problem still occur?

Note: 4G mode might not be as fast as you normally have and to work properly you may need to change the PDP setting in the modem to ipv4v6 on the LTE page of the modem GUI..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Vick66

Hi, thank you for your response. I’m not at all technical so apologies for any errors.

Every interaction with Telstra has been frustrating to say the least. If the fault doesn’t happen when they are on the line, it doesn’t exist apparently. And every consultant has a different test/explanation/resolution, but nothing is fixed. Very irritating.

We have Telstra nbn hfc

Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000 Arcadyan

Arris CM8200B P2

It started a couple of weeks ago. The drop outs are random - anywhere from several times a day, to three days with no issues.

They last 5-15 minutes and then resolve themselves. Which doesn’t sound too bad, but when it impacts work, online lectures & meetings, it’s not acceptable.

It affects all devices - iPhones, iPads, android phone, laptop, pc.

The equipment lights don’t change.

I would love to be able to run off 4g for a few days to see what happens, but with me working from home, and two teenagers studying and due for online exams, the 4g speed of around 25mbps download and around 1mbps upload wouldn’t be feasible. We usually get around 250mbps/25mbps.

Again, thank you for your response.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Could you post the modem's log file for the time period starting just befor the loss off internet to time when internet reconnects. This could indicate what is causing the dropouts.

The log file can be veiwed by logging into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra). The got to advanced > log

SteveW_52

Thanks for the additional information...  you didn't say if all the devices connect wirelessly? 

If that is the speed you get on 4G it is likely that the 4G service has been capped as a result of running on it for too long? If so, Telstra support can fix that...

If the lights don't change when the interruptions occur, then I wonder if it is actually internet failures you are having..  it is possible that you are actually seeing a Wi-Fi failure (which tend not to cause any visual indications to occur).

If it is a Wi-Fi issue, then  it should still happen when running in 4G mode..  I understand your concern (I also have HFC with Superfast - but find my normal 4G performance (25Mbps down/>5 Mbps up) enough to stream a movie and also do a Teams meeting with video, you might be surprised how much you can actually do) about the speed drop, but it is a way to isolate the cause of the problem..  so if you can find a period where you can run that way, it would be useful to do. Alternatively you could get a secondhand/new Smart Modem 2 from Gumtree or FB Marketplace - for less than $50 and sometimes free for even a new/sealed/unused one. The swap that with the existing one (Wi-Fi network will be different though and some setting changes will probably be needed). Troubleshooting will require some effort on your part unfortunately, and it may not take a few days..

When there is an interruption, do you get any error messages on any of the devices? the network icon for example, showing you are offline?

You could also use a network analyser app on a mobile to see if the Wi-Fi network is actually there when there is an interruption..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Vick66

Vick66

Thanks. Will try 4G after I check times with the kids.

We get error messages on devices. Eg in Safari it comes up with “unable to connect with the internet” and games/apps asking to check the internet connection. 

SteveW_52

From the log, it sure looks to be an internet failure and your modem is actually switching to 4G mode (blue front indicator)..  so perhaps you haven't noticed the indicators (front and back on the modem AND the Arris NTD) changing..

I would suspect that it run continuously on 4G, but at slower speed..

Have you tried rebooting the modem and Arris box? Power off, wait a few minutes and power on again.. this is unlikely to be a permanent fix, but it is worth trying..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Those error messages could be the result of either Wi-Fi or NBN internet failures..  from the log, I suspect the NBN internet as the cause..

Good to try 4G mode on your own choice of time - disconnect the cable from the RED WAN port on the modem and wait a few minutes for it to switch - a steady Blue indicator on the front of the modem will indicate when the switch is done..

Stevo 52
cf4

The Wan Eth0 BFDV6 and BFDV4 supervision fail count 1 -4 indicate the modem has lost its connection to Telstra server. This is likely due to a intermittent cable fault.   There is probably a faulty tap were your cable joins the street cable.

If support want send a technician lodge a complaint. There is information on how to lodge a complaint at link below.

Make a complaint (telstra.com.au)

I found it hard to read those images, had to hook up a 27" monitor to my laptop. The text in the log file can be highlighted and pasted directly into a post.

Vick66

We’ve done a power down as well as factory reset more than once with no change.

Whether it is nbn or wifi, I am completely confused as to why Telstra consultants can’t look at the log and diagnose the issue. 4 out of 5 told me nothing is wrong at all. And the 5th one booked a technician which has now been cancelled by the nbn team. But now that I know where to look, the logs show repeated issues and failures. Beyond belief that they couldn’t find that when I first called a week ago.

I’ll try the 4g test, but SteveW , if you think it is running 4g anyway, then that’s an nbn issue probably?

Should I just call Telstra again and ask to be escalated?

Vick66

Thank you. I will lodge a complaint. Apologies for the picture quality I didn’t see the other option.

SteveW_52

Yes, it is switching into 4G (which prolongs the outage a little bit)..  but purposely running if 4G, and having NO outages, helps prove the fault (and adds weight to you reporting the failure to Telstra)..

I don't find the skill level of the Telstra support team to be of a very high standard (as an experienced telecom tech/engineer I get frustrated by stupid questions and repeated testing that is unrelated to an issue) and I dread having to deal with them at all - its a bit better as a Gold member but still can be very trying!!  Asking to be escalated is difficult in itself, the muppets at the other end must think their KPI's will be affected if they do that..  but don't seem to register that hanging up or not fixing the issue will have an even worse result for them..

When dealing with support I request refence numbers and also take snapshots of the conversation as I go, 9 out of 10 times I end up lodging a complaint so the evidence helps...

Stevo 52
Vick66

We’re Gold members. Hate to think what “lesser” members get from them. So far I have  5 incident numbers in my collection for this issue. I won’t let this go.

My favourite issue was a couple of years ago.  A technician was sent out after many issues with our nbn. The tech found a faulty component in the equipment box out on the footpath. Not on our property, just the common infrastructure. It was wet and muddy so when he finished I asked him in to wash his hands. Then I got an invoice for $400 because “the technician needed” to come into our house.

After a mammoth 4 hour phone call and several escalations, they offered to halve the bill as a goodwill gesture. Needless to say I wasn’t having it. No way I was paying $200 for kindly allowing their tech to wash his hands after fixing their public infrastructure. Outcome: the Ombudsman was invoked and the invoice was waived.

Vick66

Have spent quite some time messaging with a consultant after experiencing yet more drop outs today. They have finally confirmed that nbn connection issues were/are the cause.  So now we wait for 24 hours with our fingers crossed. Thank you everyone for your help and advice with this. Still not sure how fixing something at their end would take 24-48 hours to flow through to the end user. But I’m no expert. Does that sound right?

SteveW_52

If the intermittent drop outs are caused by a cable or tap fault the 24 to 48 hour turnaround for the fix would be remarkable...  it probably can't be fixed remotely so would need someone to attend and fault find/repair..

But hey, the positive is that they have recognised the issue!  Whatever you do, don't let 'your face drop'....  whatever that means..  LOL

Stevo 52
cf4

I agree with @SteveW_52  the fault is most likely a cable fault and that will require a Technicians visit. It can't be fixed by changing settings remotely.

The dropouts could be but are unlikely to be caused by a network fault that can be fixed remotely. If the change in  settings effect a large number of customers they will not be applied immediately but during a period of low traffic which could result in it taking up to 24 hours for changes to take effect.

Vick66

My face has dropped. Repeated issues still. Kids are now hot spotting from their phones Smiley Sad

New consultant in chat said there have been numerous drop outs detected in the last 24 hours, but if I restart the modem it will be miraculously fixed. When I asked how restarting my modem (again) will fix a line dropout I was advised that no dropouts were detected in the last 24 hours. 

It’s Groundhog Day. At this point I am ready to switch providers. 

cf4

Did you lodge a complaint?

SteveW_52

Told you you should not let your face drop..  those Codi people must be very clever to figure out that was the problem all along..  Smiley Very Happy

Yeah, I know what it is like. Before i was moved to the NBN, my HFC cable was with Telstra and arrived at my place from a pit outside the property..  the Foxtel installed cable is via aerial in most of this area, but for the 2 spans between 3 poles out on the street here, they routed the cable down the pole and underground - but just used the ordinary aerial junction boxes and fittings and connectors..  which quickly corroded when placed in pits that frequently filled with water..  many, many complaints to Telstra but it didn't get fixed until I raised the matter with them that the neighbour (with a pacemaker), was getting shocks anytime he touched the foxtel box, the modem or the wall plate cable metal parts. The problem was repaired that afternoon and actually done properly - no problems since (5 years and counting)..  it can be hard to get Telstras attention sometimes...  Smiley Sad

Stevo 52
Vick66

Yes, complaint lodged. No response as yet.

Vick66

Lol. Face is still dropped from disappointment & frustration.

We have Foxtel in two rooms. Both are pixelating when the drop outs happen, so I have repeatedly told them that both our coax outlets are affected. I have also advised them that Ethernet connected devices are affected. They now want me to check for wifi interference. I have the technical knowledge of a not too bright goldfish but even I know that is silly.

I have just been told that they are “working on the issue” (the issue that doesn’t exist?!??!) and that we will be compensated for our service problems (the ones that they can’t detect, except when they detect them?!?!).

Meanwhile my uni student is having panic attacks about doing on line exams in one week off a phone hotspot. 

I will keep you updated.

Vick66

Five drop outs in 30 minutes from 8.30am. Apologised to my employer that my work will be interrupted today. Logged the drop outs via the app. A lovely consultant asked me to do some initial testing. I refused. We agreed to not do more testing. 

Case Manager (cm) from complaints rang at 10.00am. Advised me there is planned maintenance in my area today which is causing the drop outs. I checked the outages page - nothing in my area. Advised him of this, and also pointed out that my issue started a couple of weeks ago, so even if there is planned maintenance, which their own webpage doesn’t know about, it is not the cause of my drop outs. Also pointed out that we always get notified of planned maintenance but nothing this time. Cm advised they would put me on hold to check and hung up on me instead.

I rang them back. Was advised that my cm was busy and would call back in 24-48 hours.

Checked outages page again - mysteriously, there is now planned maintenance in my area,

Cm rang back an hour later. Confirmed the planned maintenance. I asked if it was planned due to my repeated faults. No. Nooooo. Nope. Just a coincidence.

Ok, so is the planned, but not notified, coincidental maintenance going to resolve our faults? Yes. Probably. We hope so. But if it doesn’t, call us back and we will book a technician.

So I just wait? Not quite. After 6.00pm, or whenever you get an sms that the maintenance is finished, you need to reset your modem, then clear the cache on all devices, then hope for the best.

So here we wait, for magical 6.00pm, to reset our modem and clear our caches, in order to fix a WAN issue that affects two coax ports, that the mysterious planned, but not notified, coincidental maintenance may or may not fix. 

I think I’m developing Stockholm Syndrome. This is becoming a game now.

I will keep you updated.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Stockholm Syndrome is a psychological response where you begin to bond with your ‘captors’.

Your assertive assessment of the situation indicates that you have not reached that point.

Vick66

Update: the mysterious, coincidental, planned maintenance seems to have done the trick. No drop outs for 2 days now. (And shh don’t tell anyone but we didn’t even restart the modem or clear any caches.)

Thank you for helping me through this.

cf4

Glad to hear your problem has been fixed.

SteveW_52

Did you notice anyone attending the street pit/cable?

Good news indeed for you..

Stevo 52
Vick66

We don’t have a line of sight to the street due to trees, and our living areas are at the back of the house anyway. We did make several trips out to the street but didn’t see anyone.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit