Level 4: Private Eye

NBN migration

Answered

I am currently on Telstra HFC internet (non-NBN). I have a new Telstra Cable Modem and Telstra Smart Modem - Arcadyan LH1000. I am not currently using the Arcadyan LH1000, I have ASUS routers mesh working to cover my property.
Do I need to be using the Arcadyan LH1000 to migrate to Telstra NBN or do I just replace the Telstra Cable Modem with the NBN NTD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN migration

The changeover to NBN HFC shouldn't cause too many problems, the output of the NBN NTD  will plug into the WAN port (Ethernet) of your existing ASUS network WAN and away you go.. Whichever way you go, you should connect the SM2 first up and let it register and update before considering your next step for the local network.

Couple of things:

1. if you are on 100Mbps speed at present, the standard changeover to NBN will cut that in half. To get 100 Mbps back you will need to opt for the Speedboost add on at extra cost.

2. Do you have a phone service connected at the moment? And is that VoIP or other?

3. By default, the NBN HFC service will include SIP connectivity, but you will possible need the SM2 to use it

4. The SM2 has built in backup failover to 4G, again you need the SM2 to use that.

5. You could run the SM2 and then connect from the SM2 ethernet, to the ASUS WAn port, but you will need some configuration of IP Ranges, Subnets and WiFi (turn off on the SM2) to get it working and keep your ASUS network as is. Be aware that if you bridge the SM2 you loose phone and 4G which defeats the benefit of having it there, so wouldn't recommend that approach.

You would appear to know what you are doing, so I am sure you will have no trouble.  I retired my ASUS network when I moved onto NBN HFC, the SM2 works pretty well (very good wi-fi) and now I just have one Telstra Wi-Fi booster and two un-managed switches to connect all my cabled devices (I am old school and have shares in copper Smiley Happy  ).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The suggested method would be to connect the Arcadyan to the system first to let it register on the network. Once it has established the connection, you will be able to swap it out and use the ASUS Routers.

However, if you wish to be able to use your home phone, you will need to have the Arcadyan connected as it is the interface to the phone service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

The changeover to NBN HFC shouldn't cause too many problems, the output of the NBN NTD  will plug into the WAN port (Ethernet) of your existing ASUS network WAN and away you go.. Whichever way you go, you should connect the SM2 first up and let it register and update before considering your next step for the local network.

Couple of things:

1. if you are on 100Mbps speed at present, the standard changeover to NBN will cut that in half. To get 100 Mbps back you will need to opt for the Speedboost add on at extra cost.

2. Do you have a phone service connected at the moment? And is that VoIP or other?

3. By default, the NBN HFC service will include SIP connectivity, but you will possible need the SM2 to use it

4. The SM2 has built in backup failover to 4G, again you need the SM2 to use that.

5. You could run the SM2 and then connect from the SM2 ethernet, to the ASUS WAn port, but you will need some configuration of IP Ranges, Subnets and WiFi (turn off on the SM2) to get it working and keep your ASUS network as is. Be aware that if you bridge the SM2 you loose phone and 4G which defeats the benefit of having it there, so wouldn't recommend that approach.

You would appear to know what you are doing, so I am sure you will have no trouble.  I retired my ASUS network when I moved onto NBN HFC, the SM2 works pretty well (very good wi-fi) and now I just have one Telstra Wi-Fi booster and two un-managed switches to connect all my cabled devices (I am old school and have shares in copper Smiley Happy  ).

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit