Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

NBN modem dropout/reboot issues

Answered

Our apartment building has FTTB and then a fibre optic backbone inside the building with an NBN box inside each apartment. I have the top-of-the-range Telstra modem with 4G back-up, 4 Ethernet gigabyte ports etc

I'm now on my second modem; both the first modem and this one have dropout/reboot problems. Most days the modem reboots,always around 4pm plus or minus a couple of hours. Occasionally it will reboot during the night as well. Dealing with the Philippines call centre means all I get is "We'll replace the modem". My assumption is that this isn't a modem problem but an NBN problem, with something triggering the modem to reboot. However the NBN representative on the Strata Committee who liaises with the NBN asserts that if Telstra say it's a modem problem, that's what it must be (and I'm the only person in the entire building (300+ apartments) reporting this problem. How do I get someone in Telstra to trigger an NBN inspection??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN modem dropout/reboot issues

At the end of the week (Friday morning) I can report that the TP-Link modem has not dropped out at all. Basically this means that EITHER both of the Telstra modems had exactly the same fault (which suggests a manufacturing problem) OR there is some sort of pulse being sent via the NBN to which the Telstra modem is more sensitive than the TP-Link modem

I have now turned the Telstra modem back on, but it is connected to the Internet via the Netgear switch and not direct to the NBN box. All the lights are on and the phone service is working

One "interesting" observation is that Telstra assumes that I have an Internet connection only if I'm using the Telstra modem connected. I received a daily message from Telstra telling me that my modem was not connected (true) and that I was on 4G back-up (not true; the modem was switched off)

I guess if Andy Penn's mantra announced this week of simplifying Telstra's product range is applied to the NBN and Telstra offers "naked" NBN (my preference; we have no need for a home phone service) then the need for Telstra modems goes away for those users. Clearly you only need a Telstra modem if you want a Telstra phone

And that's where I think I'll leave it

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

If you power off the Telstra Smart Modem before disconnecting it do you still get the messages?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
36 REPLIES 36
Highlighted

I should add that the devices plugged into the modem are a Fetch box, a Roku device and a TP-Link router (it's also on its second version since going on the NBN)
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Do any lights on the modem change when this happens? Are both Ethernet and Wifi devices affected?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

All of the lights on the modem go off - it's a total reboot. The TP-Link modem lights are unaffected. If I'm watching Fetch it reports there is no connectivity and eventually reconnects after the modem reboots. If I'm not watching Fetch it shows there's been some interruption to service by turning one of its lights to blue while the other stays red. Since it's a total reboot all devices are affected eg. my iPad and iPhone both cannot connect to the Internet via WiFi. The phone line drops out

Highlighted

1: Is the power supply for the modem connected securely.
2: Have you use the new power supply that came with the modem.
3: Have you tried plugging it into a different power socket or disconnecting it from a power board if its connected to one.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

• Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

Yes to 1 & 2, no to 3
Highlighted

Try an new power point if possible and see how it goes

Highlighted

I'll try that out for a few days and report back
Highlighted
Level 22: Superhuman

@343GuiltySpark wrote:
Try an new power point if possible and see how it goes

One of the reasons why I have my modem plugged into a pure sinewave UPS. Their can be so many things on the same circuit causing issues.

@TommyTheTankEng I'm with you, its not a modem issue. Once you have tried another modem and its still happening, the odds that it is the new modem, well I think you have better odds winning tatts.

I know some people who get a replacement modem do just that, and forget that it could actually be a faulty power adapter but still use the same one. Which was good to see you didn't :-) So once you have changed that and all the cabling it does look like an NBN fault.

At least now you have a spare modem for testing in the future :-)

Its interesting that its happening at around the same time. That used to be a problem with ADSL and alarm systems. Although I'm not sure how that works with the NBN these days?

Damn strata's are a pain in the butt. I'd never going anywhere where they are involved. It's hard enough getting a tech out, let alone dealing with another third party... good luck with that :-)

Someone keeps putting vegetables in my beer crisper
Highlighted

Our strata body has been a nightmare. None of them had any idea about IT but the chairman heard the phrases "NBN" and "fibre optic" and had a full-on wet dream. The building was already backboned for Bigpond/Foxtel and they could/should have simply bought Telstra out and linked up the FTTB node to that. Any upgrade to the backbone could be done on an "as required" basis. But no, they levied everyone $1500 and put in a parallel backbone. They hadn't even considered that as a heritage building the local council would (and did) hold up planning permission for months and months

So far I haven't had a dropout putting the power supply into its own wall socket rather than a power board, so we shall see
Highlighted

Good to hear that it hasn't rebooted yet.

Highlighted

I spoke too soon. The weekend was clear of reboots (usually that is so) but the modem rebooted at 8:05 this morning!
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

One other thing you can do to rule out a modem specific issue is try a direct Ethernet connection to the NBN NTD instead of using the modem to see if there are still internet dropouts happening. 

If not then it would seem like there is an issue with the current modem type connected but if still dropping then it would be something on the NBN network connection itself. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

What device would I use with the direct Ethernet connection to monitor the line 24/7?
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

A computer is always the best bet especially as your drops are fairly consistent so you can check if the drops are happening when they have previously taken place with the modem. 

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

You could connect the TP Link Router directly to NBN box and connect the WAN port of the Telstra Gateway to LAN port on TP-Link router

Highlighted

The problem is that the dropouts are often but not always mid-afternoon. This morning's was at 8:05. There was one last week while I was asleep and the only thing that alerted me was the lights on the Fetch box - and that's not the only time there was an overnight dropout. Hence my question about 24/7 monitoring
Highlighted

Ah, that's a thought. I'll try that because there are times when the only clue there's been a dropout is the Fetch box. By the way, what will that do to the phone service (not that we ever use it, we're really a "naked" NBN household)?
Highlighted

With the WAN port of Telstra Gateway connected to the TP-Link router the phone should still work.
Highlighted

I must check my cables between the TP-Link router and the Telstra router. I think we're currently operating on the emergency 4G service for Telstra and the NBN via TP-Link. I got a service SMS from Telstra and watching Fetch (someone else is using the Roku) I get "streaming issues" messages. I'm still not sure unless there's a dropout while I'm actually looking at the computer that I'll know that the Telstra modem or the NBN box is the issue. Still, the good news is that when we go to a different ISP I've already got a working NBN modem in the TP-Link C7 Smiley Wink

Highlighted

If you connect all your other devices directly to the TP-Link router and you have a drop out you will know its not due to the Telstra modem but is due to a problem with NBN link.
Highlighted

That's my next move but it also means no access to the NAS while that's being resolved
Highlighted

For Smart Modem to work connected to the TP-Link C7 the LAN address of smart modem will need to be changed so that it doesn't use same address subset as TP-Link C7. (Example 192.168.1.xx) This is probably the reason the smart modem is working in back up mode.

Highlighted

@cf4 wrote:
If you connect all your other devices directly to the TP-Link router and you have a drop out you will know its not due to the Telstra modem but is due to a problem with NBN link.

@TommyTheTankEng wrote:

I'm now on my second modem; both the first modem and this one have dropout/reboot problems. Most days the modem reboots,always around 4pm plus or minus a couple of hours. Occasionally it will reboot during the night as well. 

@cf4 He is already on a second modem. Good idea though when you don't have a spare Telstra modem.

@TommyTheTankEng Keep us to-to-date if things progress. I'm very interested to find out what it was/is.

Highlighted

Yes, TP-Link is smart enough to change its IP default address when it detects another device using the same address, so presumably Telstra's "smart" modem isn't that smart after all. Not sure how I change the Telstra modem's address, so may just turn it off and rely on the TP-Link with a Fetch box connection to work out if it too has dropouts

Call me old-fashioned but this is the sort of thing I'd expect the service provider to be doing
Highlighted

Here's the current state of play:
* No dropout overnight using the TP-Link modem (but overnight dropouts don't always occur)
* I resurrected a Netgear 8-port switch and I've connected the streaming devices to that, and the switch to the TP-Link router
* The Telstra modem is on but merely supports the phone (which we basically don't use anyway) on its 4G emergency connection

So far the assumption has been that if the TP-Link modem doesn't drop out then it's a Telstra modem problem; if it does drop out it's an NBN problem. The third alternative could be that the TP-Link modem is more robust than the Telstra modem and handles whatever is causing the Telstra modem to re-boot without re-booting

The thing that interests me is that most dropout occur during business hours and never on weekends (as far as I can recall), and we have a number of commercial premises connected to the same building backbone.  That could be a red herring of course

Highlighted

Just to clarify, you've said you have NBN FTTB which would mean that the modem is connecting to the existing phone port and FTTB is essentially FTTN. But then you mention you have an NBN box in each appartment which makes me think you have either NBN HFC or NBN Fibre (FTTP) to the premise. Would you be able to send a picture of the NBN box you have? As I can understand power usage upsetting the modem, but the NBN NTD I haven't seen causing a modem to reboot. Has the telstra modem rebooted at all while disconnected? You may get a text saying the 4g backup is active if it reboots and the 4g backup re-activates after a reboot

Highlighted

If Telstra modem is running in back up mode phone will not work and if you leave it in backup for a prolonged period of time the 4G backup will be throttled.
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

For troubleshooting purposes, I would eliminate the Telstra modem, particularly as you mentioned that you don't use the phone service. 

Highlighted

It's as I described - FTTB and a fibre optic backbone that turns it into Fibre to each apartment.  Before the fibre optic backbone it was FTTB and VDSL to each apartment.  There's a standard NBN box in each apartment with 4 Ethernet ports and two phone ports,  One of the NBN Ethernet ports is connected to the Telstra modem via Ethernet plus its own two phone ports.  I've turned the Telstra modem off.  There's been no interruption to service this afternoon

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

At the end of the week (Friday morning) I can report that the TP-Link modem has not dropped out at all. Basically this means that EITHER both of the Telstra modems had exactly the same fault (which suggests a manufacturing problem) OR there is some sort of pulse being sent via the NBN to which the Telstra modem is more sensitive than the TP-Link modem

I have now turned the Telstra modem back on, but it is connected to the Internet via the Netgear switch and not direct to the NBN box. All the lights are on and the phone service is working

One "interesting" observation is that Telstra assumes that I have an Internet connection only if I'm using the Telstra modem connected. I received a daily message from Telstra telling me that my modem was not connected (true) and that I was on 4G back-up (not true; the modem was switched off)

I guess if Andy Penn's mantra announced this week of simplifying Telstra's product range is applied to the NBN and Telstra offers "naked" NBN (my preference; we have no need for a home phone service) then the need for Telstra modems goes away for those users. Clearly you only need a Telstra modem if you want a Telstra phone

Highlighted

@TommyTheTankEng wrote:

And of course if you want 3G/4G backup :-)

It's going to be interesting to see how they slimline the NBN offerings. They are not getting the customers they need clearly due to pricing. And now they no longer have the monopoly from the ADSL days they are going to have to change their attitude.

Personally, I think they just need to drop Belong, bring that over as their main plan offerings. The "Premium" speal no longer cuts it. Plus, get rid of Andy Penn as CEO, my Telstra shares have dropped 50% with him in charge. Plus, I don't like seeing so many Aussie jobs going.... disgrace!

Highlighted

Agreed, having a 3G/4G backup is a nice to have, but it's not a have to have. I've already got plenty of data in my data pool (from Vodafone) to survive a few days of no wired NBN. You'd only assume that your Telstra shares have dropped 50% because of Andy Penn if you believe that all these highly paid, bonus-heavy CEOs make a difference. I don't
Highlighted

I'm wondering if there's any way of disabling the messages I get if I disconnect the Telstra-supplied modem. If I do disconnect it I get constant reminders that I'm disconnected from the Internet (I'm not - I'm using my TP-Link modem successfully) so for the moment I've got the Telstra modem plugged into the Netgear switch which is in turn plugged into the TP-Link modem. Pointless but that seems to be the only way to stop being nagged

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

If you power off the Telstra Smart Modem before disconnecting it do you still get the messages?

Highlighted

I'm trying that now. I'll let you know in 24 hours' time
Highlighted

No messages yet and it's been 24+ hours so I guess that's the solution. Now all I need is for Telstra to abandon their forlorn notion of always being a telco and start offering "naked" NBN. That has to be worth $10/month off my bill

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit