JeffPhilippi
Level 1: Cadet

NBN not connected after several unsuccessful attempts with customer service and connection teams

I am still waiting for my NBN connetion to be sorted...

I called telstra on Wednesday 3rd August to advise that i would be moving house on Thursday 4th August. The opperator said i cannot move my adsl to an NBN servicable area so my adsl would be disconnected on Friday 5th August and that i would be without an internet connection until my NBN connection appointment the following Friday 12th August. I wasn't happy to go a week without the internet but expressed appreciation to the opperator anyway. I received an email confirming that i would have to be at home for the appointment on Friday the 12th August between 1pm and 5pm.

Sometime between, my new neighbour came to my house with a package that arrived at the wrong address. It was addressed to me which turned out to be my new modem!

On the 12th August I waited at home for my appointment and by 4:30 i was a little eager and called telstra to be told my appointment didn't go through... Obviously unhappy, i concluded my very upset call to telstra and called the NBN directly to make a complaint. The NBN opperator told me that telstra syncs it's system up to the NBN and that telstra had not forwarded the appointment to NBN. I call telstra back and they offer no resolution. After complaining, the opperator told me that i could purchase a 4G Dongle at a telstra shop and call them back to have it credited to my account and have credit added to it at no charge to me. I thought that was a good gesture from telstra, so i went on my merry way to the telstra shop to buy the dongle.

After a lengthy process in the telstra store, i managed to purchase a dongle and the friendly staff even noted my receipt number to make it easier for telstra to credit my account.

I head off home and later call telstra to access the credit to my new 4G dongle. This is when i found out i would not be credited immediately for the purchase of the dongle... So they tell me i will be credited on a later bill... (I have to fork out the $100 for the dongle and then still pay my bill this month and have to play catch up with other expenses until i get credited for the dongle).

Next thing it is Thursday 25th August before another NBN appoinment was made for Friday 2nd September. I think "Sweet, my birthday..." Although it meant sitting at home waiting again!

I get another confirmation email for my new appointment of September 2nd between 1pm and 5pm. Meanwhile, my dongle was running out of credit...

September 2nd arrives and i wait in the house and when it gets to 3:30pm i remember my friend telling me about their tech arriving right on the appointment time... So i call telstra to be told the connection was logged as complete.
At this point i am confused when telstra eventually tell me that i did not need to be home for the appointment although i have an email telling me that i need to be home.
So, anyway... I decide to test my new gateway modem and you bloody guessed it... NO INTERNET CONNECTION!

Still on the phone to the telstra representative, i advise her that it is not working and she checks my account more before telling me that it is active on the line but not on my account. She also says she doesn't now why and she would have to log it as a ticket with connections department. She goes on to tell me that i would have to wait 24 - 48 hours which is inconvenient to me considering i have already waited long enough.

It is now Sunday 4th September (almost 48hrs later) and i call telstra back for answers... The opperator tells me that he can do nothing about it so i get a little frustrated and express that i would use a different service provider before hanging up.

Monday comes and i past experiences have me thinking about how hard it would be to change provders while telstra has the line at this address hung up in a mess. So i call telstra again in the hopes that i would get results. No luck...

Once again on tuesday. No luck so i ask telstra for more dongle credit. They agree and i get the credit within a couple of hours.

So now today is Thursday 8th September, tomorrow being 4 weeks since my initial install appointment and i am still waiting for an NBN connection. Something tells me this NBN is going to come with more headaches!

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Why couldn't my adsl services just be moved over while waiting for Telstra to pull their finger out?

2. Why did Telstra take more than a week to offer me an alternate internet arrangement?

3. Why was my dongle not just set to unlimited so i did not have to ask again?

4. Why was i not advised of problems with my appointment?

5. Why was i told to be home if it wasn't required?

6. Why do i have to wait for my account to be credited for the dongle?

7. Why did my connection not work?

8. Why does my gateway have green lights when there is no connection working?

9. If there is a connection active at the house but not on my account, why can't you just activate my services from your computer?

10. WHY THE BLOODY HELL AM I BEING MESSED ABOUT??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN not connected after several unsuccessful attempts with customer service and connection teams

Some Answers

1. Why couldn't my adsl services just be moved over while waiting for Telstra to pull their finger out?

Because once NBN starts being rolled out in an area, new ADSL services cannot be activated in that area.

2. Why did Telstra take more than a week to offer me an alternate internet arrangement?

They should have tried to make a new appointment first and if it was going to be more than a week to 10 days, they should have told you about the wifi option at that point.

3. Why was my dongle not just set to unlimited so i did not have to ask again?

There is no setting in the system for unlimited as Telstra do no have unlimited plans.

4. Why was i not advised of problems with my appointment?

If the appointment request hadn't gone through, then there would be no indication that there was a problem (yes, this is stupid), as the response would need to come from the NBN system.

5. Why was i told to be home if it wasn't required?

They prefer people to be at home during the connection process just in case they need to access your property.

6. Why do i have to wait for my account to be credited for the dongle?

How else is the credit going to get there? But yes, it usually takes a billing cycle for it to pass through the system due to accounting rules that are in place. The time that it takes depends on where in the billing cycle you are.

7. Why did my connection not work?

No idea. Could be as simple as a misplaced digit either in the Telstra system or the NBN system.

8. Why does my gateway have green lights when there is no connection working?

It will be seeing the VDSL signal but as the line hasn't been bound to your account, the auhtenitcation process can't complete.

9. If there is a connection active at the house but not on my account, why can't you just activate my services from your computer?

Because the coding is applied in the NBN's system. Telstra has to put in a request to the NBN to rectify the problem and then the NBN Tech's will investigate what caused the problem before rectifying it.

10. WHY THE BLOODY HELL AM I BEING MESSED ABOUT??

Just lucky I guess.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit