Level 6: Bloodhound

NBN phone line not working for non-Telstra networks after port

So my mother ported from Optus Cable (broadband and phone) to NBN HFC (Broadband and phone).

The broadband is all fine and she can call out on the phone - but only people on the Telstra network can phone her.  As an example, people on Optus get a "that number is unavailable" message.

She's spent a a few attempts trying to explain the problem to Telstra support and spent over an hour trying to get this sorted with no resolution.

It sounds like a porting issue - but has anyone experienced this problem and found a good way to describe/direct the support teams?  (eg. look at xyz as this may not have been set correctly) or could it be something on the Optus side that hasn't been completed?

Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN phone line not working for non-Telstra networks after port

Optus hasn't completed the port properly. It's a fairly common problem. They need to put a redirect in the numbers database directing incoming calls to the Telstra network.

You need to ask Telstra to contact the Optus porting team and ask them to finalise the port correctly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for the info.  We are now having "fun" with Telstra phone support still giving us the run-around - even trying to tell us that we will need to contact Optus to get it resolved !

Moved to chat option as at least I can try to do productive things whilst I go in circles with them.

Frustration levels rising.

@Jupiter wrote:

Optus hasn't completed the port properly. It's a fairly common problem. They need to put a redirect in the numbers database directing incoming calls to the Telstra network.

You need to ask Telstra to contact the Optus porting team and ask them to finalise the port correctly.

Unfortunately for a "fairly common problem" we're still struggling to find someone in Telstra who can help us.  Lot's of empty "it'll be fixed" and "someone will call you" promises from Telstra.

The only people who have called are the scammers claiming to be from Telstra !!  Causing lots of confusion for my mum.

We raised a complaint online on Sunday - still waiting for a SR number or case mgr to be assigned.

Level 23: Superhero

Other customers in your situation have contact the porting team at Optus.  This may be a solution for you.

Thank you

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

Other customers in your situation have contact the porting team at Optus.  This may be a solution for you.

Thank you

Thanks.

Tried/trying that avenue.  The Optus Chat tells me to ring their standard support, which due to delays suggests using the chat, who now can't find my old Optus account details!

Meanwhile my complaint to Telstra is still unanswered or acknowledged.

Any Telstra team members online who may be able to step in to assist my 80 year old mum !

Amazing.  After chatting with Optus support for an hour I was finally told I need to contact their financial team as her number had been suspended - and that was causing the problem.

Leaving that chat in frustration we tested her number again and it now works from both Optus and Telstra networks !

I don't know what was done, and by who, but it has now been resolved 20 days after the port.

Now to help her get better than 9Mbps on her 50Mbps HFC service ... another battle ;-) 

Level 23: Superhero

Yes, as I suggested, you'd always have more success with Optus support

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Especially since that is where the problem was. Optus wouldn't have relayed that information to Telstra.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

You should probably start another post for this..

"Now to help her get better than 9Mbps on her 50Mbps HFC service ... another battle ;-)"

But can you advise what NBN and Telstra devices are there and what the indicators (front and back, on both modems) are showing?

If the Telstra modem has a blue/purple indicator on the front then it is in 4G back up mode, which might explain the low speed..  and that means an issue with the HFC service  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Most likely that the HFC service hasn't been migrated to Telstra due to the financial issue at Optus. That would  likely cause the Telstra service to be running via the 4G backup.

Correct, but I was just trying to check that...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Thanks @Jupiter and @SteveW_52  - I believe Optus saying there was a Financial hold on the account was a furphy, and something else had got the port rectified, as I never spoke to the accounts team.

Either way, the modem is on HFC (not mobile), but just lousy speed.  So, I'll have to go sit out at mum's house one afternoon to go through the diagnosis steps with Telstra support.

Is the 'lousy speed' on all connected devices? Are the devices connected by Wi-Fi or ethernet cable? Have you tried using a cable instead of Wi-Fi? Try connecting just one device at a time - does that have an impact?

If you connect a device by cable direct to the NBN NTD port (take the cable out of the red WAN port on the Telstra modem and plug it into a laptop network port), is the service still slow?

It is useful to use Ookla speedtest  https://www.speedtest.net/  or the Telstra equivalent  https://speedtest.telstra.com  when trying to assess internet performance - use the same test for each thing you try (and try one thing at a time)..  so you can compare between configurations.. and you can post results here..

Stevo 52

Thanks @SteveW_52 , yes I'm aware of the various diagnosis steps.  Her environment is only 1 ethernet connected laptop, so will be pretty easy to diagnose/compare results. Telstra speedtest at this stage has showed 9Mbps down/8Mbps up.  So when I've got time to work with Telstra we'll see where we go.  I'm come back to CrowdSupport on a new thread if we don't get anywhere.  Thanks.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit