NBN9
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Plan Change

I currently have HFC NBN premium speed 100:40 and included international calls (Australia Ultimate) for a total price of $99.00 per month and have had this for about 3 years. I received email today saying telstra are simplifying plans and will move me to Telstra premium speed which is a downgrade to 100:20, no international calls and will cost me $110 per month. They will give me $10 credit per month for 6 months but if I want international calls it will jump to $120 per month. How can they charge me more for a worse level of service than I have had for 3 years. It was okay when I was paying well over the nbn plan cost in the beginning!!!  Call 132200, got no help and wouldn't let me lodge a complaint. I have tried messaging app for complaints and website but with no response. Should I contact the telecoms ombudsman? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Ive been with telstra for over 10 years and this is terrible.

Ed

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
TuxTux
Level 2: Rookie

Re: NBN Plan Change

Got the same Email. Been a Bigpond customer for 20 years. Yes, back in the day when I had Foxtel with Bigpond o cable (HFC). I do lots of work from home and need the 40M upload that comes with my 100/40 Telstra NBN plan.

They will be charging me $10 more than before (Have a land line phone on NBN FTTH box) so I am off worse than before, paying a higher price by $10.- and getting a reduction in speed for the upload.

Aussie Broadband have the same plan that Telstra is putting me on for $99, and Aussie are by no means the cheapest ISP around (Probably the best ISP, but that is another story). To get the same 100/40 that I have now, will cost me $109.00 with Aussie.

And before anyone asks - I have never used Aussie, just know people who have. I have no affiliation with Aussie. I am merely using Aussie as a reasonable comparison with Telstra as they are one of the few who can compete with, and be better, than Telstra. Even though Aussie are considered a premium ISP with premium pricing to boot, they are now going to look a lot better than Telstra.

Do not think loyalty counts with Telstra, they do not care if you have been a customer for 2 weeks, 2 months or 20 years. I will be calling them tomorrow to see where this is going and if nothing comes of it, I will be changing to Aussie - my work from home is too important to me and Aussie have a good reputation so it is a no brainer.

\

TuxTux

Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

Hi - my understanding is that Telstra has ceased to offer specified 24 month term contracts sometime late last year, so once any 24 month contract term became expired, the original contract could either be cancelled by the customer without an Early Termination Fee, continue as is at the whim of Telstra or be converted to no lock in month-to-month terms; enabling Telstra a convenient out of maintaining the original contract terms. In parallel to this NBN Co released new speed plans which enabled RSP's to offer various versions of possible NBN speed packages.

Unfortunately the only way I can see to have a 40 Mbps upload on a Telstra plan now is with a pre-qualified 700/40 service at $190 a month gross. I think FTTP served areas don't have qualified access.

New Customers Plans below  - I assume this is what is also being offered to Existing Customers as part of the migration to no lock contracts so that everyone is on the same terms. I can't defend the choice of downgrading existing 100/40 plans - it may be based on existing utilisation metrics or just a convenient revenue recovery tactic from a minority group of residential customers. Surprised to see a limit of 22 Mbps on the Superfast plan - I had expected it to be an in between medium of 230/40 Mbps

Premium - 100/17 Mbps - no Metro or CBD HFC qualifications = $120 - promo $10 for 6 months discount

Superfast - 230/22 Mbps - 'most HFC areas'  = +$30 a month Add-On

Ultrafast 700/40 Mbps - 'some HFC areas'  = +$70 a month Add-on

this is the Telstra URL - arrow right to see the last two speed plans and I guess you would need to apply to see if your street address qualifies for the higher upload speeds.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained#fixedline 

NBN9
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Mkrtich

I can get the Superfast, have previously checked.

I just can't see how they can downgrade my service and charge me more after 3 years on the contract.

It baffles me as to why they would want the bad press? I am still waiting for a response to my complaint, maybe they will drag it out until the end of March and then just change me over, or maybe they simply don't care for the $99 and are happy to lose me as a customer. Which will then lead me to cancel my business accounts with them too. Which will then probably go to retentions and they will try and save me as a client, but they won't be able to help on personal accounts.....

Thanks for your insights and help. 

Ed
StaceyL1
Support Team
Support Team

Hey NBN9. 

It's likely that the plan you were on was phased out, so you were moved onto a comparable in market plan. That being said, take that with a grain of salt, as I don't have your account in front of me to tell with any certainty that this is what's happened.

You mentioned that you have a complaint raised - did you have the reference number for this one handy? I can take a look to see how it's tracking.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TuxTux
Level 2: Rookie

Replying to my own post with an update.

After spending a long time on the phone with an on-shore agent, who was very patient, I have found out that the Email stating that the upload would go from 40Mb/s to 20Mb/s (Typically 17Mb/s) during busy times was in fact incorrect.

I had the agent investigate the matter and the agent has stated that my upload speed will not change from what I have now. The reason I was suspicious is the fact that NBN has 2 100Mb/s download products for RSP's to offer.

The original 100/40, which I have been on for 5 years, and a relatively new 100/20 speed that many RSP's are offering at very competitive rates. I am convinced that Telstra is attempting to get people on the 100/20 NBN tier, even if they were on the 100/40 tier.

I got the agent to send me written confirmation that my speed will remain and that my upload speed will not change from what I have now. I am documenting my speeds to make sure they stay the same. If I detect a drop to below 20, then I will know that they changed it to a 100/20 tier.

The agent did send a vague confirmation that was not much of a guarantee so I have asked for a specific confirmation that I will remain on the NBN 100/40 speed tier.

I will keep you posted.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit