Bronwyn3
Level 2: Rookie

NBN setup and Filters

Answered

Hi I am confused as so far I have seen the same modem a TG800 modem but all of them have totally different setups with them.  I do know that before you have switched over to the NBN you need to put the filter/splitter on but after you are connected to the NBN you then remove that filter/splitter and just plug in the phone line cable into the wall socket and the DSL line is this right?  I have been told you no longer need splitters on your new NBN service.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
W201
Level 14: Field Agent
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN setup and Filters

@Bronwyn3

That is right.

ADSL requires splitter. Why? because the line carries DSL signal and voice.

NBN FTTN (VDSL2) does not require splitter. Why? There is no voice signal in NBN line.

View solution in original post

ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

@Jupiter wrote:

Correct, once your NBN service is active, you can remove any splitter/filters as your phone will plug into the back of the modem, not the phone socket in the wall.

Not only you can, but you should. Splitters and filters left on the line can cause issues.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
W201
Level 14: Field Agent
Accepted Solution

@Bronwyn3

That is right.

ADSL requires splitter. Why? because the line carries DSL signal and voice.

NBN FTTN (VDSL2) does not require splitter. Why? There is no voice signal in NBN line.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Correct, once your NBN service is active, you can remove any splitter/filters as your phone will plug into the back of the modem, not the phone socket in the wall.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ForensicsGuru
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

@Jupiter wrote:

Not only you can, but you should. Splitters and filters left on the line can cause issues.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Bronwyn3
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks for that am currently doing an online chat and guess what they can't tell me the answer so guessing no one knows anything at Telstra grrr.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit