matjw1986
Level 2: Rookie

NBN smart modem gen 2 constant disconnects

Answered

Why after 11 months of no problems would an NBN connection become unstable to the point where the internet is unusable due to constant disconnections? I’ve been told that in an attempt to rectify this Telstra will apply some sort of patch which should help reduce disconnections but will also slow the connection speed And I could not get a straight answer as to why this happened in the first place. Said patch and slower speed is apparently a permanent solution... does Telstra no longer have technicians to troubleshoot and identify actual root causes..? Because I feel like slower speed and hopefully reducing disconnections is a bit of an average solution. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN smart modem gen 2 constant disconnects

Those stats indicate a cable fault and in this case I don't think a stability profile is going to fix the dropouts so eventually a NBN Technician will have to be sent out. to investigate and fix the fault. With NBN, NBN Technicians are the only ones who can work on NBN infrastructure including street cabling.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
cf4

What sort of connection do you have. If it ADSL then sometimes with very old cable it is necessary to apply a stability profile which increases the the noise margin. Increasing the noise margin should eliminate the dropouts or at least reduce the number of dropouts at the expense of speed.

matjw1986

Ah interesting, I have NBN as stated above FTTN I believe, not adsl. Still.. seems awfully strange that it can go from a strong connection with zero dropouts that I can recall for months to literally more than 20 dropouts a day for the last 4 days. Perhaps the cable to my house has decided to call it quits in regards to stability lol. 

cf4

Could you post your link stats. These will indicate if it is the cable or something else causing the problem. You can view the link stats by logging into modem (http://192.168.0.1, password is Telstra) and going to Advanced > Diagnostics. Image below is an example of link stats.

matjw1986

cf4
Accepted Solution

Those stats indicate a cable fault and in this case I don't think a stability profile is going to fix the dropouts so eventually a NBN Technician will have to be sent out. to investigate and fix the fault. With NBN, NBN Technicians are the only ones who can work on NBN infrastructure including street cabling.

View solution in original post

matjw1986

ah cool good to know! thanks heaps for the insight, hopefully they wont take too long getting to the same conclusion as you haha

TCUST1
Level 1: Cadet

What was the end result @matjw1986? My issue is similar although rather than dropping out it has disconnected completely. Telstra are telling me there is no fault on the line and in addition a technician has been on site to swap out my NBN modem. 2 weeks later, still no internet Smiley Sad

matjw1986

Hey, an NBN technician found a fault 400 meters down the line. I think he said it was some form of short circuit. The tools he used at my house and elsewhere determined this information. That’s all I know. Since working perfectly.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit