DanielHelix
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Smart Modem Wifi Drop Outs

Hi All,

Recently new to Telstra's NBN (only been set up about a month or so in total after many dramas - but thats a different story) anyway in the first period we had maybe two drop outs where the WiFi connection dropped out. The lights on the NBN box indicated data still being transfered between NBN box and Modem, all lights on modem indicate it's working correctly. Only fix for this is resetting the modem/wifi connection on it.

Recently over the last week, it's become more and more frequent (worse was a period of 24hrs, dropping out 7-8 times) I've searched this forum for idea's to fix it. I have tried de-activating band steering, forcing the chanels (1 for 2.4ghz, 149 for 5ghz as these appear to have the least interference when I checked through the modem portal) with no success and the drop outs continue. The one thing i noticed on a post somewhere that i haven't changed it (as i don't know the current details to revert it if needed) is the PPP Credential Settings (also have no idea what this is?) i see is as a default of newdsluser@bigpond.com and noticed some comments of saying this should be changed to my bigpond login to work.

Telstra support have been 0 help with this, they do "tests" and everything shows fine even while it's dropped out. They force reboot the modem and then it works (which i know it does, but this is only a bandaid fix until it drops out again) and apart from that, they do not offer any suggestions or assistance. The line from the pit to the house is almost brand new (only 2 months old, we actually had to get this run to connect to the NBN as we didn't have a line previously, we were using overhead cable connection). No devices are connected via Ethernet, all are via wifi as we are a wifi house (kids, lots of devices, gaming consoles, phones, laptops, chromecasts etc)

I'm really frustrated and no idea what else to try - I also work from home a few hours a day so it's causing head aches. We are about to have wireless CCTV installed so I need this wifi working correctly.

Any suggestions on fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Smart Modem Wifi Drop Outs

Changing PPP credential's will have no as these are not used on a NBN connection. One thing you could try if haven't already is turning off Protected Management Frames (Wi-Fi PMF) in modem's advanced WiFi settings.

There are two versions of the gen 2 modem one made by Technicolor (DJA0231) and the other made by Arcadyan (LH1000). Which version do you have?

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Level 21: Augmented

What are the symptoms when the WiFi drops out?. Is it that devices cannot connect?.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

OK, firstly, you should only need to change your PPP Credentials is very specific circumstances..  if it was an issue you would have trouble connecting in the first place.

As to helping diagnose your problem..  have you gone through the Telstra troubleshooting steps at https://fix.telstra.com/ ?  they may not help much, if the dropouts are random and intermittent..

The first step is to try and work out if it is the internet service or the Wi-Fi that is dropping out. Looking at the logs in the modem might assist in seeing what is going on. You are able to copy the information from that log if you need to provide it on request here.

The other way to check where the fault might be, is to force the Telstra Smart Modem 2 into 4G backup mode for a while - bypassing the internet service. You can do this by disconnecting the cable from the red WAN port or the grey DSL port and wait a few minutes for the modem to switch into 4G backup (Steady blue indicator on the front). Leave it in that mode for as long as you can to see if you get the dropouts. If you do, then the problem is likely related to local Wi-Fi and if not, then it is an internet service issue...

Note that in 4G mode you will have less performance and possible some congestion. You may also need to make some changes to modem settings for best connectivity - in the LTE area to allow a PDP of ipv4v6..  (this is handled differently depending on which model of the Smart Modem 2 you have so please advise which it is).

Once you know where the problem is, you can look more closely at that, with help from here..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
DanielHelix

Hi CF4,

Yeah i'm not that tech knowledgable so didn't know what affect the PPP credentials had, so relying on what information i could find as support isn't helping.

I'm not at home currently, so i will try the PMF setting this afternoon and see what help that has. The modem is the Arcadyan one.

DanielHelix

The mesh router/extender just drops full connection to it, mobiles will say "connected, no internet access" or unable to obtain IP and other devices simply cannot find it. 

DanielHelix

Hi SteveW,

Not sure what to look at in the logs or what i should be seeing, but theoritically i could copy and paste these for those more knowledgable to review. I've done the troubleshooting with no additional success. I could potentially force it to 4G and test it, but it's very random. It could work for a few hours, it might not also - so could trial this but no idea how long it would take to identify if this assists or not.

SteveW_52

You are closer to the modem than any of us..  but I work on the principle of halving an issue, to identify where it is. This is especially true with random intermittents. Switch to 4G might requre a day or 2, and there could be some bandwidth pain in that time, but the more you can isolate it the better. If you switch to 4G and it still happens, then you can re-instate the internet service and focus on wi-fi issues.. 

You could also try connecting a device by ethernet cable (long term), and see if that device stays working when the ones on Wi-Fi have problems?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
DanielHelix

Yeah good point, i may connect a device via ethernet to assist in the testing process. Despite previous calls and message service with support - they now can finally see a "drop out" on the service and have organised NBN tech to attend the property tomorrow hopefully.

SteveW_52

So the extended 4G test might have shown that up..  sometimes, with intermittents, you just have to do things you don't really want to (because of the effort/disruption involved).

I would highly recommend that you do some testing on 4G backup, to get  it set up and working properly, before you might need it in anger..  Smiley Happy

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit