Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN SMART MODEM

Answered
So I connected to the new NBN network that has just been connected in our area. I received the smart modem and conducted a speed test on it for the 4g only as the NBN is not connected until end of the week. Speeds reached 2.8 to 3.8mbps and then I tested my mobile 4g and got 40mbps plus. I contacted support and was told that the backup 4g network is capped at 6mbps. I am extremely annoyed as no where was it mentioned or was I informed that this was the case. I was lead to believe I would get the 4g speed I get on my phone if it goes to backup.

Can telstra have it uncapped?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN SMART MODEM

The backup speed can not be uncapped. The speed gets capped further to 256 Kbps if the backup up is used for a extended period of time and it takes two business days to remove the 256 Kbps cap. The speed limit is mentioned on this site under "Things you need to know"

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/modem

."Your mobile backup connection is limited to speeds of up to 6Mbps for downloads and 1Mbps for uploads. Actual speeds will vary due to local conditions and content accessed."

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN SMART MODEM

The backup speed can not be uncapped. The speed gets capped further to 256 Kbps if the backup up is used for a extended period of time and it takes two business days to remove the 256 Kbps cap. The speed limit is mentioned on this site under "Things you need to know"

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/modem

."Your mobile backup connection is limited to speeds of up to 6Mbps for downloads and 1Mbps for uploads. Actual speeds will vary due to local conditions and content accessed."

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit