GeoffWA
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN Smart Troubleshooting - Why can't it detect Modem connection is 4G and not usual FTTN

Answered

Modem switched over to 4G yesterday afternoon, I have powered off / on  a couple of times in last 16 hrs but still on 4G. When I run the Smart Troubleshooting from Telstra web page it results in "No Issues Found".  So they are not clever enough to check if 4G is connected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GeoffWA
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Smart Troubleshooting - Why can't it detect Modem connection is 4G and not usual FTTN

My thread was a rhetorical question, hopefully someone from Telstra will see it and consider this;

My usual connection, FTTN, dropped out and modem switched to backup 4G connection. The internet responsiveness and change in usual colour of LED on modem alerted us to fact. After 24hrs and several powering off/on cycles the normal service was not resumed. 

I used the "Smart Troubleshooter" from Telstra web page as first part of resolution. It resulted in telling me no issues found and gave me an image with a green tick saying I had 20Mb down and 2Mb up and with that I could use internet and stream media etc. So according to Telstra bot I should stop whinging and move on. I went on to use chat support and after 5 hrs it was deemed I needed NBN Tech to attend. NBN Tech attended and determined there was fault 150m from my line end and they investigated. The Tech returned and said the cable further up the street was not serviceable and needed replacement saying they would pass job onto whoever does that work.

So my point is Telstra Smart Trouble shooter does not check to see if customer is on backup 4G connection or if the connection speed is close to customer's usual speed. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Mkrtich
Level 21: Augmented

Re: NBN Smart Troubleshooting - Why can't it detect Modem connection is 4G and not usual FTTN

Hi - sometimes that happens when the SIM is not seated correctly or has popped up. Does the 4G LTE show up as Enabled within the modem's admin screens. You should see some Receive Signal Data showing there even if the SIM is absent as the 4G LTE radio is receiving signals all the time. If it is not enabled, and you haven't done so to date, suggest you turn OFF the modem from power, wait 30 seconds and then check that the SIM is seated correctly in its slot. You should hear it click shut when pushed down - if it doesn't click in , it may be inserted the wrong way.  Turn ON modem again and see if it is enabled. If still no connection, you will have to contact Telstra to see if there is an issue with the SIM's registration. 

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

@Mkrtich The OP reads to me like 4G is working fine, as it should when the NBN service is down, and not yet restored. But when running the troubleshooter, it is not detecting the modem is in 4G mode and that the NBN service is out of order? 

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
GeoffWA

The OP reads to me like 4G is working fine, as it should when the NBN service is down, and not yet restored. But when running the troubleshooter, it is not detecting the modem is in 4G mode and that the NBN service is out of order? 

That is correct.

I am answering now via 4G backup connection. 

Mkrtich

Sincere apology, I misread your post by focusing on the last sentence. If you have a Gen 2 modem, you must have a Blue LED on the front panel - Are there indications in the Broadband screens that your FTTN link has no transmission data on the DSL port - don't know if a Factory Rest may assist. 

GeoffWA

Yes solid blue LED. Modem page just shows connection is LTE, only shows line stats when there is a connection. I am entering the dreaded Telstra support abyss.

Mkrtich

Hope it gets resolved by contact with Telstra. Gen 2 modems now have a 'Mobile Only' mode, but a customer would have to activate that function and I am not sure if the feature is for some future offering as the current arrangement has speed and data download limit restrictions applied for BackUp purposes only. 

The only way to prove the FTNN service is actually operational, per the Troubleshooting Test results and if  something is wrong with the Gen 2 modem, is to connect an old VDSL/2 modem to the wall socket and see if it works. 

GeoffWA

After something like 5hr chat support session it was determined fault needs to be passed to NBN for their action this week.

GeoffWA
Accepted Solution

My thread was a rhetorical question, hopefully someone from Telstra will see it and consider this;

My usual connection, FTTN, dropped out and modem switched to backup 4G connection. The internet responsiveness and change in usual colour of LED on modem alerted us to fact. After 24hrs and several powering off/on cycles the normal service was not resumed. 

I used the "Smart Troubleshooter" from Telstra web page as first part of resolution. It resulted in telling me no issues found and gave me an image with a green tick saying I had 20Mb down and 2Mb up and with that I could use internet and stream media etc. So according to Telstra bot I should stop whinging and move on. I went on to use chat support and after 5 hrs it was deemed I needed NBN Tech to attend. NBN Tech attended and determined there was fault 150m from my line end and they investigated. The Tech returned and said the cable further up the street was not serviceable and needed replacement saying they would pass job onto whoever does that work.

So my point is Telstra Smart Trouble shooter does not check to see if customer is on backup 4G connection or if the connection speed is close to customer's usual speed. 

View solution in original post

Mkrtich

Thanks for posting your feedback on this. Should the rectification process be extended for some time, your mobile 4G WAN may reach it's monthly download capacity limit ( uncertain of current size) - you will notice a severe drop in 4G speeds - maybe 6Mbps DL / 1Mbps UL. If this occurs, you will have to contact Telstra through the Message App to have it lifted due to an unresolved NBN line fault. Hopefully the faulty cable will be replaced sometime in the near future.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit