AdamHuddleston
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Speed Boost

Hi,

We have signed up with Telstra with NBN FTTN (Best Bundle Ever), and added a Speed Boost 100/40 to the line, but the data speed didn't increase or decrease (25Mbps). Is this normal?! As we would have expected some sort of increase even minimal. Telstra are using the excuse that we are on a Coexistence, which is a bit of a let down as we were getting faster speeds on Cable.

We have called Telstra NBN Team 3X times regarding this matter, and one customer service rep found an issue straight away, which she said that our line was capped at 25Mbps but it was on NBN end. Unfortunately, we have not been able to get in contact with the rep again, and Telstra have gone back to the Coexistence excuse which seems to be the norm.

Just wondering whether Speed Boost is working on other peoples accounts or is there something else that could be wrong?!

thanks! Smiley Happy

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
The-OG-Reece
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Re: NBN Speed Boost

Speed boost cannot be applied until the service is active and the order has gone to completion.
In my experience, you will have to contact Telstra NBN team immediately after your NBN service is activate to advise them everything is work and to complete the order.  Then you will have to wait up to 48hrs before contacting them again to have the speed boost applied.

Note that the speed boost may be removed or changed by Telstra automatically if your service is unable to achieve a speed the same or faster than the speed tier below the one you have requested.  They're now doing this as a "courtesy" to save you money (which doesn't help if you've negotiated the speed boost for free).

I need IDDQD and IDKFA in real life.
The-OG-Reece

also - the term "completion" isn't just meaning "everything is working".  It is an internal term used by Telstra accounts to determine that all pre and post activation steps have been completed and marked as completed by the technician if one was required.   I've had a completion status take three weeks on one NBN transition.

AdamHuddleston

Thanks for the reply. We waited about a week before we got the Speed Boost activated, we had a few drop out early on which they did something to help that. I'm wondering whether the 2 are connected.
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It could be that your line isn't capable of the higher speeds.

If you log in to your modem 10.0.0.138 and go to the broadband statistics, you will see one that says Maximum Line Rate. This is the highest speed that your line can support at this time (nothing to do with the plan/boost that you are on). The further away from the node you are, the lower the speeds you will be able to attain (just like ADSL).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
The-OG-Reece

They could be connected.
Telstra have access to a "speed profile" which has up to 10 levels of adjustment for speed OR stability.  It might be slightly different for the VDSL2 NBN FTTN services though.

In regards to Telstra saying things about the service being capped at 25 by NBNco - this is technically true, but only in the fact that all services are capped by NBNco until the RSP (Telstra) requests a faster speed tier on behalf of the customer in the form of a speed boost.  In other words, they hadn't actioned your request.

Regarding coexistense - this is a *BS* term now being used by RSPs to try say that "things will get better when everyone in your area is on NBN" so that PSTN/ADSL coexistence can be turned off.  Usually this won't happen until after the copper cut-off date which in most cases is 18mnths to 2yrs after NBN go live in an area.  

Coexistence isn't an issue really - prime example is my node lotto service - I have the 100/40 speed boost active and get those speeds most of the time, yet I know for a fact that there is only 20% of ports on my node switched over to NBN.  The rest are still ADSL services.

But it's all political posturing and buck passing by both RSPs and NBNco to try to shift attention from the fact that FTTN is a really, really BAD NBN rollout technology.  

AdamHuddleston

Ok! So I logged into my modem and this is weird. It says that my Maximum Rate [Kbps] is 27741 / 10638 and my Actual Rate [Kbps] is 29029 / 10638 

Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 12.22.54 pm.png

The-OG-Reece

meh - those numbers will probably change after a power cycle on the modem.

Your line rates aren't great though - there's absolutely no way I'd be paying for a 100/40 speed boost when there's no chance you will get even near that.  Maybe a 50/20 speed boost, but not the top tier.

Where in the house have you got your modem connected?  I ask this because many people have been able to improve their sync speeds by limiting the distance from where the copper enters the house to where the modem is connected.  I worked on one site where we connected the modem directly where the lead-in finished as a temporary test and it saved about 30m of internal wiring of various quality (don't ask!) - the speed improved by almost 5Mbps!!!

AdamHuddleston

I'll get on the phone again and ask them about the Speed Profile, and see if it could be interrupting the service. Thanks for your help everyone! Smiley Happy
andrewanrosalie

My new telstra modem doesnt allow me to check max possiblle bandwith anyone know why also under connection settings there is nothing at all
cf4

The gateways only display maximum link speed if you have a FTTN or FTTB connection. The link speed of Fixed Radio, FTTP and HFC cable is not measured by the gateways.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit