Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Speed

Hi,

First time poster, I recently moved houses and thus was able to upgrade my Telstra internet from ADSL2+ to NBN Fibre to the node. At my old house (approximately 1km down the road) with ADSL2+ I was getting speeds of 5mb/s download and 1mb/s upload (allowing me to comfortably study, watch Netflix etc.). My new house has NBN Fibre to the node, I connected approx 2 weeks ago (switching plans via the Telstra change of address service), I was sent a new modem (compatible with NBN) and set it up according to the instructions. In the first week the speeds were ok (roughly 2-3mb/s download and 0.5mb/s upload) but over the last week they have been extremely slow in both peak and off peak times. Ookla speed test showing 0.1mb/s download and 0.3mb/s upload speeds in both peak and off peak with nobody else using the internet. I have tried switching the modem off and on multiple times, connecting directly to the modem via an ethernet cable and adjusting settings with minimal change to speeds. My plan is the $90 unlimited NBN fibre to the node (I live roughly 4-5km from the node), advertises as 44mb/s average speeds according to Telstra.  Unfortunately due to COVID + Easter weekend I am unable to get onto a tech support person with Telstra. Any tips? Most devices are within 15-20m from the modem (but connecting directly via ethernet didn't do much to speeds anyway). 

Thanks for the help!

Ebony

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN Speed

The description off your service indicates that you have never been connected to NBN but the modem has been on 4G backup. The speed of the 4G backup is limited to 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up but the speed gets throttled to 256 Kbps if used for an extended period of time. If the link light is not solid green and front light is blue then NBN link is faulty. Contact support to have throttling on modem's back removed and the NBN fault fixed.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit