ybnice
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN Speeds Pitiful - Telstra Conjestion - Unacceptable

On Thursday 17 December 2015 the Technician advised me there is nothing wrong with my gear and it is an NBN issue to which he contacted Level 3 Support. Level 3 Support rang me early evening to tell me to take 3 - 5 Speed Tests, 2 hours apart and he will ring me the next day. I did not hear from Level 3 Support. I rang NBN Support, they noted down my Speed Test Results. I complained bitterly why have I not heard from Level 3 Support, I want to lay a Complaint. I was told that Complaints will be in touch with me the next day.

On Friday night I contacted NBN Support and got through to Townsville - YAY. I told him I have not heard from Level 3 Support or Complaints Department. The Gentleman on phone told me more info. A note has been put on my file to further investigate as the NBN is Conjested - CVC is Conjested (Connectivity Virtual Circuit - a virtual charge imposed by NBN to Service Providers). Telstra pay NBN Monthly Bandwith for User Slots. Currently in my area there are 600 Users which is causing Conjestion. Was told that orders have not been filled for Telstra by NBN (Government Department) due to Christmas etc for more User Slots to cope. GRRRRR, SO HERE IS THE ROOT TO THE PROBLEM.

On Saturday 19 December 2015 I had heard nothing and my Internet Speeds were so erractic and unacceptable. Highest Speed was @1.45am in the morning of 95.04Mbps and lowest was @9.21pm 5.76Mbps - Upload Speeds fluctuated from High 30.00's to a Low of 21.00Mbps. I rang NBN Support and demanded Complaints ring me on Monday as I demand to be put back on my reliable Telstra Cable until your Conjestion problem is ironed out and not Sell/Promote a Service that is not working to Standard and give misinformed/misleading information to Customers.

Finally to all you Customers who have Speed issues read above it is probably Conjestion due to Providers not having Orders filled or not placed enough Orders to cope with Users, hence causing Conjestion and turning the NBN equivalent to ADSL 1/2 Copper. Ask the below Questions to your Provider before taking the switch to NBN, especially if you have awesome Cable like myself:-

(CVC) Connectivity Virtual Circuit is a virtual charge imposed by NBN to service providers to offload your traffic from the NBN network into the service provider’s network. - Ask the question that they have enough Slots to Cope with Customers in your area - not enough then the NBN is shared and overloaded. causing shocking Speeds.

CVC is in addition to the cost of physical point of interconnection (POI), connection between the provider and NBN (called the Network-Network Interface, NNI) plus the cost that NBN charges for the link between your Home and NBN’s point of interconnect (known as the Access Virtual Circuit and User-Network Interface, AVC/UNI).

Rather sad how a Government Department like NBN cannot fill (so Telstra say) orders when they too are Government. Interesting it would be to see how the opposition do with lack of Orders - not enough or not filled...

download.jpg

“DO OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY.” “MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.”

- Yoda -

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
KleskReaver
Level 3: Gumshoe

Re: NBN Speeds Pitiful - Telstra Conjestion - Unacceptable

I have this exact problem, and the exact maximum speed you get (95mbit) doing tests at 5am and other uncommon times and anywhere from 5mbit-40mbit during peak times. Even right now at 10:55pm getting 13mbit speed test

modem syncs at 109/40, getting a lot of FEC errors in the DSL section of the router, could be normal? this vectoring business? not related to conjestion but wondering if you have the same (assuming you're FTTN connected)

Roughly where do you live? I'm having this issue in Belmont NSW. (Hamilton NBN POI)

ybnice

So sorry to hear you have same problem KleskReaver like many of us have.  No, I am FTTP and I have now resourced all avenues and being fobbed around by Manilla - Technical Support, Billing, Case Manager and Complaints with no end in sight and no answer as to when it will be fixed.  Just the meaningless answer to me of "sorry, cannot give you a scheduled time as to when it will be fixed but has been escalated with Technical Support and they are currently working on it."

Simple, solution is as I mentioned above in the original post re all RSP's with this Speed Slowness problem.  Bottom line, RSP's, stop shortfalling/scrimping in bandwidth purchasing from the NBN Company and provide Customers with the correct Speeds as stipulated within your Package Plan (CVC and other charging).  I know we have currently 600 Users in our area on NBN.  NBN went live in our area nearly 3 weeks ago.  I am in Runcorn, Queensland. 

I have now written to the Telecommunications Ombundsman demanding they try and fix this HUGE National problem.  Also mentioned to them that they are refusing to let me go back to my reliable fast Cable Internet due to Terms and Conditions with NBN.  My argument is they have breached my Terms and Conditions as a Customer upon signing up when I did not have to and the CVC Conjestion problem was already there (disgusting Sales tactics).  I had 12 to 18 months to which I could of still stayed on my fast reliable Telstra Cable with always awesome Internet Speeds as I posted above.

Below is a photo of my current Speed and I too on the 100/40 - disgusting...
Capture 18.PNG

- Yoda -
whomp
Level 1: Cadet

Hi,

Thanks for the above information, I was enticed by the bright lights and made the switch from a very stable and consistantly great ADSL2+ connection to this "superfast" NBN service which would struggle to compete vs my old dial up connection I had many years ago. I have a complaint in process and was promised someone from complaints would call me first thing this morning about my NBN connection (I knew they would not call) so now I know I will be spending another 3-4hours on the phone this afternoon with the souls sucking monster that is known as Telstra Tech Support.

Regards.

ybnice

Got confirmation 2 days ago that Telecommunications Ombudsman are looking into it and asked Telstra to fix the problem no later than 5pm on 15 January 2016.  I am pleased to report - touchwood thus far, since late yesterday my speeds are now TOTALLY acceptable as should be on 100/40 Plan NBN FTTP and have tested it every few hours since last night and has stayed above 94.00Mbps.  TY for the purchasing  of CVC to cope Telstra - happy now.  Smiley Happy
Capture 20.PNG

- Yoda -
KleskReaver

very nice! glad you have your CVC issue sorted, I wonder if I could also complain to the Ombudsman, does this CVC issue affect everyone connected at the NBN POI (city area) or at your local Exchange in your suburb? surely others in my area have complained already

ybnice

CVC to your Exchange it is.  Yes KleskReaver I would complain to the Ombudsman as it is a huge problem throughout Australia.  Not enough purchasing by RSP to cope, hence conjestion, which leads to unacceptable speeds.

- Yoda -
ben_crean

this is some great information. will be making a complaint tomorrow morning to fix the congestion in the bundaberg kalkie area as im getting speeds under 5mbs in peak times.

jaygee1

And so it starts. Connected before Christmas (fibre to the node) in Bundaberg. Today download speed 17.15Mbps Upload 1.53Mbps !!!! on the phone now. Wish me luck

jaygee1

25 over 5 is acceptable (?!) and the problem is at my end not Telstra's.... 

ybnice

Just keep on to them re CVC problem.  Over the weekend the issue seems to be returning for me re CVC conjestion during peak times - getting REALLY OVER IT.  As more and more are gettting connected to the NBN since it was live in our area in November; Telstra need to keep up with the purchasing so we dont have this continual conjestion problem and get what we pay for - "Super Fast Speed Boost".

- Yoda -
KleskReaver

they just finished a CVC upgrade on monday for me, 2nd time they've needed to do it since I got connected in early December, you would hope that they learn to purchase a lot more if this keeps up

ybnice

I rang tonight to inform them to fix the CVC problem as it is back again.  They said it got fixed back on 24 December, I said yes it did but since the holidays have finished and NBN new in our area, more and more are getting connected, hence CVC problem of conjestion back again, because Telstra are failing in purchasing enough to cope.  She admitted a CVC problem has occured and was being investigated from yesterday.  She said to ring back tomorrow to find out further.  I said it better be fixed fast as I dont want to contact the Telecommunications Ombudsman to have the issue fixed again.  If Telstra are falling behind with CVC I would hate to think what the opposition RSPs' are like - worst one would imagine - OMG.

- Yoda -
ybnice

AGAIN ringing Telstra to inform them to fix the CVC problem as it is back again since last Saturday.  More and more Customers have been connected as noticed activity in our Street.  Makes me furious how they get so ultimately slack in the purchasing of CVC to cover new connections.  TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and will be asking for credit again until they fix their CVC problem GRRRRRRRRRRR.

- Yoda -
ybnice

Still CVC problem.  I can see a cheap reduced Bill again coming my way.  They told me they have halted all new connections until the CVC upgrade is done with no fixed date or time when that will be done grr.  This is such a headache of a problem - I was lucky to even get here to post... Telstra Speed 4.PNG

- Yoda -

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit