Dieselrose
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Technician never arrived, failed to cancel appointment, lied about trying to access property.

Evening,

My NBN technician appointment was today. It was booked 2 weeks ago by Telstra. The technician never turned up. Telstra told me to wait to 6pm, so I did. 

Upon contacting Telstra they tried to tell me the technician came at 1pm. But couldn’t access the property. I explained to them that wasn’t possible, as my security system detect movement within 50m of my yard, on all sides, leaving no part of my fenced yard blind, and it only detected the delivery men dropping off my TV and the tradesmen who parked their truck near my driveway. The tv delivery happened at 12:47pm and they were here for 34 minutes as they installed the tv. During that time the front door was completely open. The technician never once came by at all over the past 24 hours. All of this I have video recordings of from different angles.

Telstra then went on to tell me the technician’s report stated the house was still under construction and was unsafe to access, furthermore stating a “skip bin” was in the way, and that there was no side access...

I clearly pointed out my house is fully constructed, fully turfed and has been occupied now for a week. Also pointed out there is no skip bin on my property, hasn’t been for weeks, and that there is clear side access on the left hand side of my house, with the exact spot for the termination device clearly visible by the road.

Telstra then tried to tell me the technician claims my property is unserviceable. I pointed out every other house on the street is connected fibre to the premise, the Telstra database says we are ready to connect with fibre to the premise, and t NBN Co database and map Cleary highlights my address as ready to connect with FTTP. I also pointed out the Telstra salesman ran our address through their system and it confirmed this address is serviceable, and if you run it on the Telstra website it states the same.

I pointed out what I do for work and why I require what I have ordered and will be seeking compensation and damages through loss of wages if it isn’t rectified immediately, and since then they have ducked and dodged my calls and messages on the 24/7 app.

I have been told a connection manager will be contacting me tomorrow.

I do not understand why it is so hard for them to complete their contracted work.

This service and behaviour is unacceptable.

Don’t ask me to power cycle devices. I’m above and beyond that...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN Technician never arrived, failed to cancel appointment, lied about trying to access property

You seem to be complaining to the wrong forum.

It sounds like the NBN Co technician went to the wrong address. You should be directing a complaint to NBN Co through the NBN Co Contact Us page. Telstra has no control over them as they don't work for Telstra.

The consultant would have just been reading the notes that NBN co sent back to Telstra (getting notes from NBN Co is a small miracle in itself as it rarely happens).

Also, there is no mechanism (under the regulations) for you to seek compensation for loss of wages. You can only be compensated for lack of service (which is just the pro-rata rate of your plan cost - which you shouldn't be getting charged for yet as you haven't been connected). But if you wanted to pursue that path, you would need to lodge a complaint with the ombudsman about NBN Co via tio.com.au

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dieselrose

Re: NBN Technician never arrived, failed to cancel appointment, lied about trying to access property

Telstra made booked the appointment with us 2 weeks ago. Telstra confirmed our address on their database has NBN availability, it does. Every house on our street does as well.

I have personally checked our address on the NBN Co database and it too clearly states we are ready to connect and have FTTP.

Telstra made the appointment. You can delegate a task but you cannot delegate responsibility. The technician did not arrive, at all. Security footage confirms this. 

If you know the right people/have the right connections information becomes easily available. The technician’s report clearly states they could not access the site as there was ongoing construction, making it unsafe, and that the presence of a skip bin made it difficult to access what was required. None of this is true. There is no ongoing construction, and there is no skip bin present at our address.

the report clearly states that there was no side access for work to be conducted. This is also untrue. There is clear side access on the side required, as we have no neighbour on the left hand side. We are the last house on the street, and the spot for the NBN termination box on the sid did the House is clearly visible from street.

the report said the address is not serviceable. Yet on the Telstra database, and the NBN Co database it clearly states the address is ready to connect and has FTTP.

A complaint has been lodged with NBN Co already, but as mentioned Telstra made the appointment. Telstra continued to tell me over the phone and on the 24/7 app that the technician may be running late and may arrive closer to 6pm.

Telstra was meant to contact me about the supposed issue. They have made no effort to contact me.

Telstra were meant to organise another appointment ASAP. They have done nothing.

according to Telstra my order is still to be completed by 5pm 27 April, despite 3 hours of phone calls to them, messaging them via 24/7 app, messaging them via Facebook messenger, and now this.

Telstra cannot pass on responsibility to someone else for this.

Jupiter

You seem to be missing the point. Telstra have no control over NBN Co other than requesting the booking.

They don't even have the ability to make direct contact with the technician (as they are under NBN Co's direct control).

All Telstra can tell you is the information that they have been provided by NBN Co.

It also makes no difference if your address appears in the NBN Co database if the technician went to the wrong address (not sure what point you were trying to make there).

Also, you're not going to get contacted after 8pm AEST as the call centre staff would have knocked off. They wouldn't be able to get a new appointment time from NBN Co either after 6pm. Hopefully you get an update within the next few hours (after 8am AEST).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dieselrose

You seem to be missing the point. 

Not my monkey, not my circus.

Telstra booked the appointment. NBN Co failed to turn up. None of that has anything to do with me and everything to do with them.

Telstra should be following up the issue, not myself. NBN Co should be following up the issue, not myself.

This is a failure on grand scale on both their behalf’s and I should not have to use my contacts within both organisations in order to fix a problem that both are failing to address.

Telstra hasn’t even followed it up, emailed, called, or made any effort of contacting myself over the issue, nor has NBN Co.

Trying to shift the blame away from those directly responsible is pointless.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit