Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN, Telstra or Modem problem?

I'll try and summarise my problem in point form.
1. Signed up for Telstra NBN about 6 weeks ago. Received Arcadyan gen 2 smart modem firmware 0.07.05r by mail and it works via 4G backup for internet via ethernet and WiFi. Previous internet is Optus cable with landline phone.
2. NBN tech installed NBN box 2 weeks ago and said it should activate within an hour.
3. 2 weeks later still no NBN internet despite several very long phone calls to Telstra talking to many different people.
4. Telstra have advised there is an error at their end that needs fixing (missing code in back end) before activation is enabled and three times have said a case manager will call me to advise progress. No such calls from any case manager have been received.
5. I can make outgoing landline calls via the green socket on the smart modem using my cordless phone system.
5. I can receive SOME incoming landline calls via the green socket on the smart modem but not all calls.
6. Incoming calls from my Optus mobile and at least one other Optus mobile are received via the old Optus cable landline which still has an old handset attached. 
7. I must have the NBN box connected to the smart modem to use the landline via the green socket, but then I have no internet.
8. If I am using the 4G backup for internet, I must disconnect the WAN connection and then I cannot use the landline for calls.
9. With all devices connected as required and expected, all have the correct green lights, but no internet is available via ethernet or WiFi.

Is this possibly a modem fault or is Telstra just very slow in responding.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN, Telstra or Modem problem?

It could be a modem fault or it could be a problem with Telstra's back end.
Do you have internet if you connect a PC or MAC with an Ethernet connector directly to the NBN NTD bypassing the Telstra Modem? If you do it is likely to be a faulty modem. With the Gen2 smart modem you should also be able to make and receive calls on the 4G backup and the fact that phone dosen't work on 4G backup also suggest modem is faulty

The fact that calls originating from optus and probably all non Telstra are still routed to your old landline socket means the porting of the phone number from optus to Telstra has not been completed correctly. 

Highlighted

Thanks cf4, Yes I had already tried plugging my PC directly into the NBN box but there was no internet there either. So my initial thinking was not the modem. I suspect Telstra have not fully activated our service.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

The same thing happens to me. I am getting crazy about it. I have called Telstra for weeks, basically 2-3 times a week. What they can do is repeating simple questions like the lights on the modem or have you ever tried to restart the modem or the NBN box. Helpless and useless.

Highlighted

Absolutely correct Giuseppe1004, they ask the same simple and obvious questions every time when I am way beyond that point. They try everything to point the problem at the user end instead of their own system end. I have now raised a formal complaint vi telstra.com/complaints so I will see what happens now. The most annoying thinh is they say a Case Manager will call me on my mobile to keep me informed, but they have never called me.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @RonR1601

I'm sorry to hear the experience you've had signing up has been less than ideal. 

With complaints, you can expect contact asap however this does usually occur within 5 business days after the complaint is raised.

The case manager will work with you to resolve. 

If this time has passed & contact hasn't been received, please let us know the the complaint reference number & we will follow up with the complaint team to request contact on your behalf.

These will look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit