sceptic
Level 1: Cadet

NBN UPGRADE SCAM?

Answered

I was contacted by an Indian sounding gentleman yesterday who advised me that my internet speeds were bad. He said that NBN were going to upgrade my modem with a fibre optic one & provide me with a 'socket' which would vastly improve my internet speeds & all this was going to be 'free.'

He asked me to check a couple of speeds whilst on my computer then wanted me to install something called 'Team Viewer'  I baulked at this & when I began to question why, he handed me over to a 'supervisor' who insisted that I install it. when I again said that I was reluctant to do this he hung up on me! Today I contacted Telstra who had no knowledge of any up grades in my area. I am always sceptical of unsolicited phone calls but these people had my name, my address & my mobile phone number. They even sent me a text providing me with a reference number. I was advised by Telstra some time ago that NBN were going to be doing work in my area but the apparent rudeness of the 'technician' who was quite aggressive by insisting that I install this remote access software onto my computer has made me question if this is a scam? I researched this Team Viewer thing after the call & discovered that it is a remote access app. I am concerned that this can be used by scammers to access my data.  Has anyone else been contacted or is this a scam?    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN UPGRADE SCAM?

This is definitly a scam. Teamviewer can allow full remote access to your PC. You did the right thing in hanging up. Even if NBN was upgrading the network they would not require access to your PC or any other device to check your current connection. They can remotely monitor the performance of your link remotely without requiring access to your PC.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
cf4
Accepted Solution

This is definitly a scam. Teamviewer can allow full remote access to your PC. You did the right thing in hanging up. Even if NBN was upgrading the network they would not require access to your PC or any other device to check your current connection. They can remotely monitor the performance of your link remotely without requiring access to your PC.

View solution in original post

Jupiter

That is a very old scam and has been going on for years. The only thing that has changed over the past decade is the reason why they are calling.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
sceptic
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you for that explanation. I assumed that it was a scam but they did sound very convincing! 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit