est53
Level 1: Cadet

NBN upgrade to ultrafast taking longer than expected

Answered

I was amazed to find out that my property was capable of receiving NBN's ultrafast internet (FTTP) and because all of us in the household are working from home I thought this would benefit us greatly. Unfortunately, it's been 2 days and my upgrade to ultrafast internet has still not arrived. Telstra Support are unhelpful but apologised its taking longer than usual. Anyone here have ultrafast internet via FTTP and had to wait longer than the intended 24 hour order process?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN upgrade to ultrafast taking longer than expected

My experience is that it does take a little while, to get Ultrafast you first need to be on the 'premium' tier, so Telstra ask NBN to do that bit, then Telstra can apply the Ultrafast settings to it. It took 3 days for mine to be completed at the height of The Great 2020 Telstra Covid Slowdown...

Are you aware that the Ultrafast and Premium service drop your upload speed - for my HFC that gives me 270 Mbps D/L but only 25 Mbps U/L..  so if you have several people in the location doing data uploads or videoconference, gaming etc. at the same time, that reduced upload speed might impact your experience negatively..  Smiley Happy

The better download is great for streaming services though and receiving files...  it's all swings and roundabouts and comes down to you actual needs..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

My experience is that it does take a little while, to get Ultrafast you first need to be on the 'premium' tier, so Telstra ask NBN to do that bit, then Telstra can apply the Ultrafast settings to it. It took 3 days for mine to be completed at the height of The Great 2020 Telstra Covid Slowdown...

Are you aware that the Ultrafast and Premium service drop your upload speed - for my HFC that gives me 270 Mbps D/L but only 25 Mbps U/L..  so if you have several people in the location doing data uploads or videoconference, gaming etc. at the same time, that reduced upload speed might impact your experience negatively..  Smiley Happy

The better download is great for streaming services though and receiving files...  it's all swings and roundabouts and comes down to you actual needs..  

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

est53
Level 1: Cadet

Stevo, thanks for the peace of mind. As of this morning, we were connected and are enjoying our speed boost (about 48 hours. Regarding upload speeds, we had 20mbps max before the upgrade. We are now getting up to 50mbps, absolutely brilliant. Now hoping it can consistently perform down the line. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit