Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN

Our landline and adsl cut out 2 days ago, we had an old modem which I changed over to the telstra smart modem. The landline is still not working, however the new modem connected to the telstra mobile network. There do not seem to be outages in the area however 'connectivity' maybe the issue?

The new modem seems to be setup correctly - I'm wondering if I am automatically connected as a telstra customer to the fibre/node network in our area - or if I need to change my telstra plan to get everything to work correctly.

CONFUSED. please help

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN

You will need to log in to the modem (192.168.0.1 - username admin password Telstra - and put in your ADSL login into the Broadband connection settings (it comes with newDSLuser@bigpond.com as the username under PPoE Connection settings and you need to change that.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

thankyou, I'm on the page - and have clicked on the broadband tab - it has my current username and password - do I need to change this ? still confused, and if so where do I find the newusername and password?

Highlighted

It says Your Broadband service is working in backup mode.

Highlighted

If it has the correct details then it should connect to the ADSL if it's available.

On that same page, what does it say for Current Mode and xDSL connection status?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

all I can see is mode - always on - cant see xdsl underbroadband tab - when i look else where I see that DSL is disconnected

Highlighted

DSL has no signal

That would indicate that there is a fault with the line (if there was an ADSL or VDSL (NBN) signal then it would show as attempting to authenticate, or similar).

You will need to send a message through the My Telstra app on your mobile (blue icon, bottom right of Get Help screen), you can mark it as urgent by tapping on the icon in the top right of the message screen.

Someone should respond within a few hours/couple of days.

Highlighted

Thank you !

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit