Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

NBN100 with BYO modem

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how to buy an NBN100 service with BYO modem. If I look on the Telstra web site:

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet

The only options are NBN50 tier plans, and there is no way to exclude the bundled modem. I asked someone on the chat app who didn't really seem to comprehend the problem.

Surely there is some way to buy a pure Internet service?

Thanks,

- John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN100 with BYO modem

If you're a new customer the modem is bundled in. If your technology type isn't guaranteed to provide 100/40 such as FTTN, you can only buy the 50/20 at point of sale then upgrade afterwards to the 100/40 if your service is capable of getting those speeds.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

How do you get the modem bundled in?

No matter what I do the ordering system wants me to pay $216 for something that will go straight in the bin...

My address is FTTC. I don't want to order an NBN50 service if there is no guarantee that I will be able to upgrade later, particularly given all the threads on CrowdSupport about NBN100 being unavailable to them...

Telstra, you are really making it hard for me to give you money. I can order NBN100 with/without a modem using 3 clicks with iiNet or Aussie Broadband.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD????

Highlighted

(Edit.. for some reason my reply wasn't showing up.. even the forum doesn't work properly... sigh)

Highlighted

So during the order process you can select add on's for your service, this is where you can apply the speed boost. I'm not 100% sure if it will appear for FTTC, when I ordered my FTTP service online I had the option. You can add the speed boost after you make the order if its there, this is done to ensure customers aren't paying for a speed that they cant get. In most cases FTTC customers should be able to achieve the 100/40 tier.

As for the modem Its free if you're a new customer from memory but not existing unless you're modem is not NBN compatible.

I work in tech support so not 100% across how all the sales stuff works.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

I couldn't see any option for a speed boost. I assume I will have to pay extra for that?

How will I know what it costs if there is no reference to it anywhere? Just crazy...
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

Speed boost cost $30

To find out information on speeds boost go to link below then click on speed data link located in FAQ under the plans.

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet#speed-data

Highlighted

The new internet only plans are month to month, so you don’t pay for the modem, but if you leave during the first two years you do get charged a portion of the modem cost (essentially one 24th per month).

Telstra don’t officially support third party modems so am not surprised that they haven’t added an option to not include it. But you could try speaking to a local store or the sales team by calling 1800 709 957 they may have an option to not send the modem.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Personally, I'd keep the modem filed away in a cupboard to use as a spare just in case something goes wrong with the one you are using. Never hurts to have a backup.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Thanks - I didn't notice that.

I have to wonder why they don't spell out what you are getting (e.g. NBN100), rather than just a vague sounding "speed boost". I'm sure it makes sense to a marketing person, but when you are trying to compare products from different carriers it seems like weasel words.
Highlighted

Great, that makes sense, I wish Telstra would just save some confusion and state that so everyone understands how it works...

I'm sure all carriers have the same policy regarding BYO modem (e.g. you are on your own if its not working properly), why not give the customer the choice? Will definitely stop some unwanted gear going into landfill and perpetuating the e-waste problem

Highlighted

Probably in order not to give people false hope. Most people are never going to get anywhere near 100Mbps no matter what plan or speed boost they are on due to tech limitations. My connections barely nudges 30Mbps, gotta love FTTN (not).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit