Chillies
Level 2: Rookie

Need a Second landline at property

Hi all,

I am trying to get a second line installed at the property for my business as the plate at the property has two connections on it at the wall. I removed the facial plate off the wall and there are two connections coming in from the street to the two ports.

I contacted the support team on 24/7 app and they are saying they cannot help as I am only allowed one phone line at the property. How am I supposed to run my business on a separate line with its own internet?

Please help me out guys as I need this asap.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Chillies

Re: Need a Second landline at property

So little update, the 24/7 operators are telling me there is no requirement to have a separate line for business and that my personal line is adequate enough.....without going into detail on why this is unacceptable, can I please get someone to assist me here, please.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

What you see as cables connected to a wall plate does not mean you have two incoming lines..

If your service is delivered by Telstra, via NBN then chances are you just have a single service into the property..

That may be different if you actually requested, or had, a seperate phone service for business..

Question is, do you really need a seperate landline? would a moble number work - you could redirect that to your home number if you had to answer it call on a fixed handset/answering machine (but a lot of that can be managed on a mobile nimer). These days there are options available, but you have to consider what is right for your circumstances and then request that, it won't happen automatically..

There is no legal requirement to have a seperate number for business, but operationally (and for customers) a seperate number is often most suitable..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Chillies

I have requested a new landline for business. Was told no as per the supervisor's direction, what ever the hell that means.

SteveW_52

You would need to ask for clarification in that case. Otherwise, would a mobile number work?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

The main reason why you might be getting told no (you would need Telstra to confirm), is that there may not be sufficient NBN infrastructure in the area to allow for a second connection to your property. This usually occurs when blocks have been converted to multiple dwellings (dual-occupancy or units). And the lack of infrastructure can either be at the pit nearest your property, or at the Node.

If Telstra can't assist, then there are a couple of options. If you can manage with just using your existing connection for Internet, get a VOIP phone service for your business.

If you can't manage with your existing Internet service, go to another RSP and apply for a new connection to your property (make sure that they understand that it is a second connection and that the existing service needs to remain connected).

If it is NBN Co that is refusing the second connection, you will need to investigate other options for your business internet. Most likely that would be mobile broadband, but if you are lucky, there may be a fixed wireless provider servicing your area (that option may require a bit of investigative work - the register of ACMA radiocommunication licences may assist in that search).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit