Louise01
Level 1: Cadet

Netflix internet error but WiFi working

I have Telstra cable internet still. Modem wifi light is on with green lights on Online and WAN/DSL. WiFi is working fine on mobiles but suddenly both TVs have internet errors for Netflix and You Tube.

Have tried reseting modem and tv.TV not even picking up our internet WiFi name.

Anyone have any ideas? One tv upstairs one tv downstairs and both different brands.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Netflix internet error but WiFi working

Most TVs only have 2.4 GHz WiFi. It is likely the modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty. To check if the modem's WiFi is faulty suggest you install a WiFi analyzer app on a PC or Android device that can connect to modem's WiFi and check if the modem is transmitting on the 2.4 GHz band. The image below is from the Matt Hafner Windows app. The peak in the graph with Private_N3 is the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal from my modem. If you don't see a peak with your modem's WiFi name above it then modem's 2.4 GHz WiFi is faulty.

SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Netflix internet error but WiFi working

That would indicate to me that the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band has stopped working on the modem..  it happens!

Get into the modem GUI (not sure which modem you have) and check on the Wi-Fi page for any reference to Band Steering, if it is enabled then disable it. The end result will be you will have two Wi-Fi serves, the original one at 2.4 GHz if it is working and an additional one with -5G appended to the name (this is the 5 GHz band). If you can't see both bands after saving the setting, the 2.4 GHz is probably dead.

Note that you will probably have to reconnect other device that were on 5GHz to the new -5G service.

Another thing to check with Wi-Fi services is whether there is Protected Mode Frames (PMF) enabled - this setting may not play nicely with older devices that are on 2.4 GHz. So you can also try that ans save those settings. Check if you can connect properly and if it works or not.

If the 2.4GHz band is not showing, the modem is faulty and to get it replaced you will need to contact support either through the My Telstra app or the web based My Account page - go to Get Help and click on the blue chat icon

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit