Serehfas
Level 2: Rookie

Netgear mobile wifi device keeps dropping wireless printer

Answered

We still use a Netgear / Telstra 4G Advanced Pro X (new old stock, WPS enabled unlike some newer models).

We have a wireless printer, Kyocera Ecosys. It persistently loses its IP address and comes up as "offline" at the PC, although the printer thinks it's connected. I screenshot the list of connected WLAN clients from the modem homepage, and it shows "0.0.0.0" for the printer IP.

What should be done to keep it connected?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Netgear mobile wifi device keeps dropping wireless printer

Yes, turn off DHCP and set the Printer as:

IP address:          192.168.1.110  (based on your original image)

Subnet Mask:       255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Not exactly the same as what you had, but that's from your PC/Laptop?

Something else that might work, if the printer has an ethernet/LAN port, try a cable between that port and the modem, rather than using Wi-Fi..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

@SteveW_52 could be, but I've had the same problem in the past with devices that enter sleep mode and then their IP addresses have been reallocated when the lease period expires, but the device that was sleeping still tries to use it when it wakes and can cause the router to hang when the device tries to reconnect.

It used to happen fairly regularly when I had a site office running on a mobile broadband router in the bottom of an open cut coal mine until I worked out what was happening.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
SteveW_52

It might be worth trying to set a staic IP address at the printer itself, rather than relying on picking one up automatically via DHCP. Not sure exactly how to do that on that printer, but it shouldn't be difficult.

Does the 'loss' of the printer on the network happen after it is powered off or gone into standby/power save?

Stevo 52
Serehfas

Hi, thanks for the reply, the printer does spend a bit of time in standby as its only used intermittently, so that is quite likely. I will look up the destructions and see if I can interpret Kyocera-speak to work out how to give it a static address.

Serehfas

Hi, so, I went into the manual for wireless network settings, and see this: I note with DHCP on, Auto IP off, it gives an IP address of 169.254.005.011 - an internal address? 

I can see I iwll have to turn DHCP off. What would I put in for subnet mask and gateway? I ran ipconfig; results below; do I use those values?

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Yes, turn off DHCP and set the Printer as:

IP address:          192.168.1.110  (based on your original image)

Subnet Mask:       255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Not exactly the same as what you had, but that's from your PC/Laptop?

Something else that might work, if the printer has an ethernet/LAN port, try a cable between that port and the modem, rather than using Wi-Fi..

Stevo 52

Serehfas

So, I used the subnet mast and gateway numbers in my screenshots in the previous reply.

The printer has printed some offline documents from the other laptop here, so it worked, but ... it hasn't printed any offline documents from mine. Both are modern win 10 laptops.

The Telstra wireless modem still shows an IP address of 0.0.0.0, but has reordered the devices in the list...I wonder why it is showing all zeroes?

Jupiter

You may need to reboot the modem.

The original settings from your printer indicate that it had been allocated 192.168.1.100 as the IP address, the Laptop on the system had also been allocated that address, so there may still be a conflict occurring in the DHCP table. A restart of the modem should clear it.

You may want to change the printer's address to 192.168.1.200 to keep it clear of the DHCP address range that the modem is likely to assign.

Also, the list is ordered by the time that a device is connected to the modem, hence why it reordered itself when you changed the printer settings.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

@Jupiter I think the original IP information was from a PC/Laptop (green text) and NOT from the printer itself (which would probably not display it that way).

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Did you save the settings in the printer after you changed them?

You might also need to adjust the printer driver settings in devices trying to print to reflect the printer address.

Stevo 52
Jupiter
Accepted Solution

@SteveW_52 could be, but I've had the same problem in the past with devices that enter sleep mode and then their IP addresses have been reallocated when the lease period expires, but the device that was sleeping still tries to use it when it wakes and can cause the router to hang when the device tries to reconnect.

It used to happen fairly regularly when I had a site office running on a mobile broadband router in the bottom of an open cut coal mine until I worked out what was happening.

SteveW_52

Scratch the ethernet cable connection option - you won't be able to do that..

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

@Jupiter sleep mode and Wi-Fi causes all sorts of issues like that..  I usually disable it on the device. I did suggest using 192.168.1.110 for the printer though, just in case..

Stevo 52
Serehfas

Yes, CMD screengrab. 
I used those settings, and allocated an ip not in use elsewhere, and it woke up and printed a bunch of stuff that had been waiting while it was "offline".

The menu asks for username and password, then seems to retain what was entered thereafter, though I will check. Especially as this morning, modem had lost connection to Telstra, rebooted it, laptop says printer is offline. Grr.

SteveW_52

If I remember correctly, the modem user interface has Save or Apply buttons in some places.

In the printer, it might be possible to disable Powersave/Sleep functions..  I had to take that action with my network printer, I now power the printer up when I need it and let it power off in it's own time..  but mine is connected by cable 🙂

Overnight disconnections are a pain with mobile broadband - I have a Netgear AC810S that I now use in a Netgear DC114 Cradle (which I originally go from Telstra a few years ago) - the cradle powers the modem 24/7. provides LAN ports, Wi-Fi antennas and also 4G antenna connections. That lets me run it continously - I just checked, it has been online for 439 days  🙂

Stevo 52
Serehfas

Ah! Sleep mode. Thanks. I will see if I can disable it.

Serehfas

Thanks Steve, the modem we have is a Telstra wi-fi 4g advanced pro x, which despite its name, has very limited functionality. I can log in from a browser, but can only see, not set, the IP addresses in use. 

I set it on the printer instead, but this morning I can't see it on the network at all, so something is wrong. I checked the printer menu, dhcp was off, I had to do that to change the ip/gateway/subnet. Last night I entered the last 2 off the ipconfig info, and entered an IP not in use, but this morning, nothing to see there either so I have reset the network from the printer menu, and will try again. *headdesk*

Serehfas

Thank you.

I gave it 192.168.1.101, (the ipconfig grab was from the cmd screen on the laptop) when nothing else had that address shown. However it seems to have piffed my settings. Printer instructions say to restart it after changing, which I did...(edit) my settings are in fact still there.

I will need to reconnect the printer to the modem again now, I see that. I guess I need to use the printer quick setup tool again as the modem is almost just a case for a sim card with very little functionality (can't add ip addresses manually). This may present a problem...brb.

This is from the "instruction" manual:

Serehfas

Sorry about disjointed replies, finding the forum format a bit of a challenge to spot replies.

I think I noted on another  of your comments that I have done this, but now its not visible on the modem nor of course to the PC. The printer can do a quick setup via the modem WPS service, but I reckon that would want an auto assigned IP again. Apparently there is a wireless setup tool mentioned in the manual, but that requires wifi direct connection. I have seen something on the list of wireless points that I believe is the printer so I will try that! 

Update: the quick connect didn't work with the defined IP address.

Serehfas

Hi Steve, also @Jupiter ,

I can now log into my printer over the network by its IP address (I downloaded device manager software from Kyocera that helped; I hadn't needed it before). 

Now I see this (see pic) and I have looked up how to disable sleep function if needed. 
Thank you both very much. I think I can only accept one answer as the solution, though you both offered important information. 

SteveW_52

A DHCP setting does different things in different devices..

1. For a modem/router, it turns DHCP on - to allocate IP addresses to connecting devices that request it..

2. In a device with a DHCP (PC/Printer etc. - enabling DHCP tells the device to request an IP address from the modem/router, disabling it allows the user to manually set an IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway, for the device. This is useful to ensure consistent IP addressing for a network device accessed by many devices.

When allocating an IP address to a device such as a printer, it is a good idea to seperate from the common IP Address range..  I suggested you use 192.168.1.110 and @Jupiter suggested 192.168.1.200  - either is OK, but have a look in the modem settings for what IP Range is set (probably under LAN). Make sure that whatever IP address you use for printer is within that range. I don't have a manual for that modem, but I will go looking for one.

Wi-Fi direct is good for setting up mobile devices but for laptops and PC's on a network, the printer drivers might need to be setup with the printer IP address that you set.

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

I agree, the way messages are arranged and displayed in this forum can be a bit confusing. If replying to a specific person/post I usually add the @version of the person (just add the @ symbol and a list of persons in the thread will pop up so you can select the one you want. This allows you to address one or more contributors individually in a single post.)

@Serehfas 

A DHCP setting does different things in different devices..

1. For a modem/router, it turns DHCP on - to allocate IP addresses automatically to connecting devices that request it..

2. In a device with a DHCP (PC/Printer etc.) - enabling DHCP tells the device to request an IP address from the modem/router, disabling it allows the user to manually set an IP address, Subnet Mask and Gateway, for that device. The manual IP address is recognised by the DHCP server. This is useful to ensure consistent IP addressing for a network device accessed by many devices.

When allocating an IP address to a device such as a printer, it is a good idea to seperate from the common IP Address range..  I suggested you use 192.168.1.110 and @Jupiter suggested 192.168.1.200  - either is OK, but have a look in the modem settings for what IP Range is set (probably under LAN). Make sure that whatever IP address you use for printer is within that range. I don't have a manual for that modem, but I will go looking for one.

Wi-Fi direct is good for setting up mobile devices but for laptops and PC's on a network, the printer drivers might need to be setup with the printer IP address that you set.

Stevo 52

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit