Level 2: Rookie

Network Settings for Mac

Answered

Hi. recently something has changed with my network settings on my mac and now dropbox won't work neither will google chrome. Can someone point me in the right direction to check the network settings on my mac?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Network Settings for Mac

Thanks for the update..

Always a good practice to reboot after making changes to a network service - just to clear any oddball settings

Glad it is working and hope it stays that way..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15

What sort of Telstra modem and nbn service do you have?

What indicators are showing on the equipment (front/back/top)?

Are you connected to the modem by Wi-Fi? Try using a cable instead to see if you can get internet..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

Hi Stevo,

Attached is a photo of my modem showing indicators.

I can connect via wifi, but am currently connected via ethernet. Both work - in fact I am wondering if something changed when I changed my connection to ethernet only.

I don't think going to an ethernet connection would have caused anything odd like that. Cable would remove some of the variables.

Have you logged into the modem GUI and checked logs, settings etc.?

Are you able to do some ping and traceroute tests from you device/s?

Maybe just start with 192.168.0.1 (local network) and then try 8.8.8.8

this should help find where the problem is occurring as far as internet access goes..

Can you clarify what is happening with Google Chrome and Dropbox exactly? Are they the only things giving problems, can you browse the internet OK, get email and the like otherwise?

Stevo 52

Have not tried logging into the GUI of the modem as I'm not sure how to. Also not sure how to do a ping test.

I can live without Google Chrome, but what it is doing is on some sites (like google.com) it just hangs there and never reaches the site.

The most frustrating thing is my dropbox. It just won't connect. I've tried signing out, reinstalling, fiddling around with proxies and still nothing.

In my desperation I have downloaded Microsoft OneDrive which seems to be working fine.

Some of  the Telstra modems look the same, but are different models..  can you look for a label on the bottom of the modem? Different modems have different settings and GUI's...  I am not overly familiar with Apples, but if you can find your network connection and look at the properties, look for the IPv4 Gateway address (something like 192.168.178.1 or 10.0.0.138 but it depends on the modem of course)..  you can then type that into the address bar of your browser to open the GUI. You will need credentials to access the interface (default is most likely 'admin' ) and be very careful, do not change anything that you don't fully understand..  if you need to, because you have messed up things, you can reset the modem to defaults by doing a factory reset - there is a reset button just below the power button - use a paper clip or similar to press that (with the power on) for at least 10 seconds to do a reset.

So the internet is generally working OK, but some sites aren't loading? If you have downloaded and used OneDrive there can't be too much wrong..  With Google Chrome, can you get to any sites or is it just google.com or google.com.au etc.  that is a problem..  or you can't use Chrome at all? Is Safari OK? or giving the same problems? Have you tried any other browsers - Brave for example?

Where are you setting the proxies? What other changes have you made? I get the feeling that your problem is more to do with program settings than with a modem issue.

Stevo 52

The sticker on the bottom reads: "MODEL NUMBER: F@st 5355"

I was able to access the GUI from 10.0.0.138 - thank you.

I certainly don't know what I'm doing but there appears to be a lot of "DNS name resolution failure" mentioned in the log.

Yes - the internet is generally working and using Safari all pages are loading, but on Google Chrome only some are. For example, https://www.abc.net.au/news/ works fine, but google.com or google.com.au are not working are not loading at all.

After a little while I get this message:

I think you are right regarding the settings and not the modem.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Could you post some of the dns errors? The dns errors occur if a site was requested that does not exist.

Is this happening with all devices or just one? And do you have an antivirus installed on that device?

With Chrome, if you click on the 3 dots, select Help | About Google Chrome and see if it is up to date, mine is 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (64 Bit).

While on that page, go to Privacy and Security (left side menu), try clearing Cookies and other site data and under Advanced | System check if your computer Proxy Settings..

In the GUI of the modem, what DNS settings do you have showing (the Internet ones will possibly be the default Telstra ones 61.9.211.33 & 61.9.211.1 ). You could try changing the Local Network ones to:

Primary:       8.8.8.8 (Google) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare)

Secondary:  8.8.4.4 (Google) or 1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare)

Stevo 52

Hi cf4 - thank you for your help.

Hi Stevo,

This issue seems to be just with the one device. My wife's laptop is working fine as is dropbox on her machine.

My Chrome is same as yours (Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64))

This screenshot to showing what I believe is my DNS settings:

Hmmm..  that DNS setting is your Modem IP..

I don't have that type of modem to check, but you should be able to change it..  @cf4  ???

I'd try changing those settings to the google ones:

Primary:       8.8.8.8

Secondary:  8.8.4.4

Stevo 52

Actually - the fields are grey and I cannot seem to change them.

I flicked back to basic mode and it gave me this information . . . I'm confused

If I remember correctly, after one of the firmware updates the ability to change the DNS was taken away..

The modem/gateway IP redirects DNS queries to the settings in the modem.

You could check what the settings are on your wifes device? this is just to do a comparison - if her device is working OK but yours isn't, then the logical result is that your settings are wrong..  but how to fix it..

This might help.. https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-change-dns-settings-on-a-mac-10189

You should be able to put other DNS IP's in this way, if they don't already exist..

Stevo 52

Hi Stevo,

Firstly - I really appreciate the help you have given me today. Talking through this issue really helped.

Secondly - I seem to have fixed it.

I unplugged the ethernet connection which left me connected to the wifi only. Then I restarted my computer. Dropbox connected immediately and Chrome became usable again.

Finally I plugged in my ethernet back in and now everything is working perfectly.

Many thanks again.

Accepted Solution

Thanks for the update..

Always a good practice to reboot after making changes to a network service - just to clear any oddball settings

Glad it is working and hope it stays that way..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit