sirjohnnyhuman
Level 2: Rookie

New Broadband Cable Service can't connect to internet

Answered

Hi Telstra aficionados,

...hoping someone can help ...frustrated to the Max:

We have had  a 1000 GB Telstra Cable service for several years, and have just set up the same service at our new residence.  although the house is newish and is fully wired for phone and cable, Telstra claimed they don't have any record of a phone line connection and so have booked in an onsite technician for sometime next century to install the line ...which clearly doesn't need installing. 

Meanwhile the Gateway Max modem has arrived and plugged in and connected to Telstra Gateway page as per instructions ...however ...despite three phone calls to Telstra service direct to the Philippines spending several hours on the phone and being handed to no less than three polite and seemingly competent ...but ultimately ineffectual assistants/  technicians -I don't know what to do.

They have also been exasperated that after trying every trick in their book, I can still access no other web page (apart from the Gateway that informs me the conection is working perfectly) including the Telstra / Bigpond service pages they have instructed me to try.

On my last call they said they would organise for the necessary action to be taken to fix the problem -but I'm not confident they actually know what it is.

Does anyone have any ideas?  Would be greatly appreciated ...this has been going on for a week and I just can't face another two hours on the phone to my mates over there for no result.

Thanks heaps,

SJH    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sirjohnnyhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: New Broadband Cable Service can't connect to internet

Well I thought I would update events.

So the technician came and went ...took about 5 minutes.

So the problem that multiple calls to technical assistance was that the co-axial wall socket I was plugged into was an Optus wall socket.  On the face of it a little amusing, but there are some communication lessons that could be learned by Telstra I think.

Firstly, I followed the instructions in the Telstra Gateway Max leaflet to the letter, and it instructions actually led me to the Optus (unbranded) wall socket.  The next peice of deception was that all the connection lights behaved normally. 

As mentioned previously, several hours of conversations with Telstra support and testing didn't resolve the issue either.

HOVEWER, the techie suspected what the problem was before he even saw the modem.  I was always under the impression that Telstra had a monopoly on cable ...but apparantly not.

Just shor tof time for now ...but I will continue this discussion in the next few days.

Cheers,

SJH

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
sirjohnnyhuman

Just an update ...went in to a Telstra store (Mt Gravatt 4122) -and of course they told me they can't help and that it will take three weeks for a tech to visit.  ...but they did give me a printed list of phone numbers to use for complaints etc.  ...they had a big pile on the front counter -gets lots of use I guess.

Anyway, I also received text messages asking me how the performance was and a call back service confirming that my cable service was activated ...all to no avail unfortunately.

Still can access the Telstra gateway page that optimistically informs me that my cable is working fine ...but of course there is no Internet connection.

So today I called 137663 and eventually got through to a human who asked me the multitude of things like have I restarted the modem (button is half worn out) and a half other useless repetition of previous testing techniques (not her fault -she was doing what she was trained to do).

...Eventually she has scheduled a tech to attend tomorrow afternoon.

Telstra need to understand that they need someone with enough training to understand what the problem is ...with out me resetting and restarting my modem literally 9 times with at least six phone operators over several weeks.   

This wasting time with those who clearly cannot fix the problem is costing both parties.

There needs to be an efficient triage system that can get to the bottom of the issue if it can't be resolved. 

The situation would not have been frustrating if today was the first call.

Trying to offer constructive criticism here.

There are also variations in the instructions that come with modem compared to those on the serial number card. 

Are there too many groups with-in Telstra fighting against each other?  Seems like it.

Need to get on the same page somehow.  Will let all those concerned crowdsupporters know how this eventuates tomorrow.  I'm confident it will now be resolved.

Cheers,

SJB

sirjohnnyhuman
Accepted Solution

Well I thought I would update events.

So the technician came and went ...took about 5 minutes.

So the problem that multiple calls to technical assistance was that the co-axial wall socket I was plugged into was an Optus wall socket.  On the face of it a little amusing, but there are some communication lessons that could be learned by Telstra I think.

Firstly, I followed the instructions in the Telstra Gateway Max leaflet to the letter, and it instructions actually led me to the Optus (unbranded) wall socket.  The next peice of deception was that all the connection lights behaved normally. 

As mentioned previously, several hours of conversations with Telstra support and testing didn't resolve the issue either.

HOVEWER, the techie suspected what the problem was before he even saw the modem.  I was always under the impression that Telstra had a monopoly on cable ...but apparantly not.

Just shor tof time for now ...but I will continue this discussion in the next few days.

Cheers,

SJH

View solution in original post

sirjohnnyhuman

So the essence of the situation is telstra have now charged $130 for a callout that I don't believe I should have to pay fo trhe following reasons:

-  I followed the instructions on the Telstra Gateway Max accurately.
     -  These instructions directed me to use the cable wall socket that was in the best location for Wii access.
     -  Unbeknownst to me, this socket was an Optus outlet, with no brand name present.
     -  The instructions do not ask customers to be aware that Telstra is not the only cable provider.
     -  The service gave all the correct indications (as confirmed during multiple lengthy phone calls to customer service).
     -  None of the online technicians asked me to confirm this as a possible problem (several calls)
     -  The technician who attended was there for less than 5 minutes.
     -  He guessed what the problem was before he even saw the modem (so clearly this is a common problem that should be addressed on the installation guide).

I have contacted Telstra regarding this and will update you regarding their response.

Essentially this issue is solved (except for thecharge) ...perhaps it may save someone else the frustation and cost.

Cheers,

SJH

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit