Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

New connection technician fee

Hi! I have a question, I am with a different provider, but they used a Telstra technician. I had no work done on my property, or even anywhere I could see. He came in, looked at the modem lights (dsl was connected and steady) drove away, came back 2 minutes later and said the internet was on. They are charging me $330 as the fee from the Telstra technician. I have tried to ring Telstra and the person I spoke to said they don’t have information on what he would’ve charged. Which I thought was odd? Shouldn’t both sides keep records? Or was the person I spoke to just unsure?

I just don’t understand why I am being charged $330 new connection fee, plus a $59 relocation fee (I moved address) plus my monthly bill of $80. I’m a single mum, there’s no way I can afford that!

There was already a line in my house and it was working as it had connected to dsl.

If anyone knows how I can find out what the technician did from Telstras end, that would be great! My phone company did this when I had it put on at my original address, the technician told us he didn’t do anything and that they like to charge the full fee for no work, and to tell them what he said. Low and behold thy tried to charge us the full fee for nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: New connection technician fee

Your provider will have to explain the charges, as they are the ones who have charged you.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

That’s the thing, I want to confirm the fees separately. Surely if a Telstra tech did the work, and has to tell my provider what was charged there would be a record somewhere other than with my provider?
Highlighted

Sorry to make it clear, my provider is saying this is what Telstra charged them and are passing on the charges. I want to verify the charges independently .. does that make sense?
Highlighted

To be honest what Telstra charges other companies may be commercial in confidence and is unlikey to be able to be answered here. From what you have told us it looks like you've had some sort of professional install. Telstra charges $240 for a professional for our customers.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Did your ISP tell you that there will be an Technicians fee fee as well as the relocation fee when you arranged for the relocation? If they did not and they insist on you paying the $330 then you should take it up with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman
https://www.tio.com.au/consumers
1800 062 058

Even thought the technician did no work on your property there would have been work in the exchange and possibly in one of the connecting street pillars but any costs involved  should have been explained to you buy your ISP.

Highlighted

I was told of the $330 If work needed to be done. He came into my house, saw the dsl light was on on my modem, drive off, came back to minutes later and said he had connected me to the node and the internet will be up and running in a moment.

I was not told about the relocation fee and I was even told I would be credited for the 3 weeks I had no internet at my new place by one of their representatives and once the internet was on I rang to finalise that and they laughed at me and told me tough and that I shouldnt of been told that.

Highlighted

Are you connected to NBN? If you are connected to NBN it would have been an NBN technician who did the work and they only charge if there is no existing phone line into the property.
Highlighted

It is NBN and I originally rang NBNco to confirm charges and they had no record of a new developement .. When I rang my provider they said it wasn’t an NBN technician and that it was a Telstra technician and that’s why they had no record.
Highlighted

If its a NBN connection there a Telstra Technician would not have been required. If they sent a Telstra Technician by mistake they should not charge you for his time. You will only get this sorted by going to the TIO. It cost you nothing to go to the TIO. Before contacting TIO let your ISP know that you will be contacting the TIO.
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Who is your ISP?
from a land DOWN UNDER

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit