Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

New connection to NBN HFC speed slow downs and speed resumes each day

Answered

I recently changed from Telstra/Foxtel cable to Telstra NBN HFC. I am meant to get 100 Mbps download speed. The works sometimes very late at night until early morning. I then am left with about 2 Mbps download and 34 Mbps upload all day until the next day. It should be an unlimited plan. It seems to return around 2am each day and is gone again by 7am. Any thoughts.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: New connection to NBN HFC speed slow downs and speed resumes each day

Happy Days. Telstra Complaints department escalated to the Platinum Special Team in Telstra that originally had push back from NBN. Finally, NBN had to make config changes at their end and had seen several issues in the area similar to mine. At 1:30pm yesterday my service resumed and has been good so far.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Level 23: Superhero

Are you running the tests over wifi?

For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It looks like there could be heavy congestion in the local cable network. Congestion effects download speed and usually has little effect on upload speed. There might be a lack of CVC  (Connectivity Virtual Circuit ) or a fault on the NBN network. Have you lodged a fault with Telstra?

Highlighted

Yes several. With Telstra home visit once and two nbn visits.

Highlighted

no - directly connected to GEN2 with network cable

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Are you connected to 4G backup blue light? Try restarting your modem/router

“Have you tried turning it off and on again?”
Highlighted

No - green light and slow connection. I can force it to run on 4g by pulling the cable from the GEN2 to the NBN box. 

My current speeds

Highlighted

Do you have 4 green lights on the NBN box? Have you reset the NBN box? Have you disconnected and reconnected to coax from the wall and the NBN box? Leave the NBN box turned off for 10 minutes so you force a new IP address.

Highlighted

Yes - multiple times

Highlighted

Have you used the Telstra app to run the diagnostics on your NBN?

Highlighted

Yes.

I have had two NBN techs and one Telstra tech attend on site. The NBN tech with his testing equipment directly plugged in could only get a 2 mbps download speed. His attempts to escalate the fault within NBN was shutdown twice. They said it looks fine from their end and close the job, to the frustration of the onsite NBN guy.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Happy Days. Telstra Complaints department escalated to the Platinum Special Team in Telstra that originally had push back from NBN. Finally, NBN had to make config changes at their end and had seen several issues in the area similar to mine. At 1:30pm yesterday my service resumed and has been good so far.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I have got the same problem . i have complained to Telstra numerous times they check their end say every thing is fine . I have had NBN tech come out and test everything and his speeds are ok . But i am getting single figures download speeds and mid 30's upload . Am on 100mbps plan . And that is all hours of the day off peak . And peak times i get disconnected on and off . have to use ethernet cable . Telstra sent new Modem still the same Was told was my computer . I have tried 2 laptops same results . I got the speed tested at computer repair shop the speeds there were what they were supposed to be  . 98mbps download and about 37mbps upload . And that was evening time .

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit