mishkeene
Level 1: Cadet

new nbn connection

i would like to connect to the nbn as its available in my area but my pc has no wifi. i am currently using mobile broadband usb stick, is there a way around this or do i need new pc

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
DEANJA
Level 23: Superhero

Re: new nbn connection

Hi Mish, don't see why you would need a new PC. These days any PC or lappy that doesn't have WiFi can become a WiFi PC with a simple USB WiFi dongle./adaptor

I'm not talking about a 3g/4g type dongle, just a stick that plugs into a usb port and allows connection of you PC to any WiFi signal that you have access too. In fact some people who have PC's with WiFi built in are now using these because they offer much higher specs and are more efficient than the WiFi cards that were built into their PC's or Lappys.

Netgear; DP Link and TP Link are just a few of the firms that put these units out selling from about $39.

I use one on a lappy that has WiFi built in but has now stepped up a gear or two with the latest dual 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands and given the lappy a whole new life. See below for the stick I use and can reccomend. Was all of $69.

sig

http://www.tp-link.com.au/products/details/?categoryid=3958&model=Archer+T4U

AC1200 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter
Archer T4U

• Ultra-fast 1200 (867+300)Mbps wireless speed with 802.11ac
  • Dual Band connections for lag-free HD video streaming and gaming
  • SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port—Up to 10x faster than USB 2.0
  • Easy wireless security encryption at a push of the WPS button
  • Equipped with a USB Extension Cable for flexible deployment

TPdong.png

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: new nbn connection

BTW, mishkeene, if you want to connect to the NBN, and it is available in your area,  you need to get the NBN connected to your house.

This means approaching an ISP and signing up for an NBN package, which will include a new router.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn/

As DEANJA says, not need for a new PC.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit