3LERGY
Level 2: Rookie

New NBN not working yet - connect Smart modem to Mobile Wifi

Answered

I have just had NBN connected and the smart modem activated. Overnight I lost my ADSL connection and now do not have any internet. NBN which had full lights yesterday now does not. 

I have been on the phone and online for 5 hours now and still no solution even though Ive spoken with 3 people...they just me back on hold.

I have a Telstra 5g Wifi Pro device that has an ethernet connection. I have plugged the Smart modem into that and it says I have full broadband connection. However in reality I don't. 

Ive restarted everything..mobile 5 g is working (and I am connected via its wifi now) so it's working. Seems the Smart modem whilst recognising the device is not transferring data. 

Any ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: New NBN not working yet - connect Smart modem to Mobile Wifi

@3LERGY wrote:

I have just had NBN connected and the smart modem activated. Overnight I lost my ADSL connection and now do not have any internet. NBN which had full lights yesterday now does not. 

I have been on the phone and online for 5 hours now and still no solution even though Ive spoken with 3 people...they just me back on hold.

I have a Telstra 5g Wifi Pro device that has an ethernet connection. I have plugged the Smart modem into that and it says I have full broadband connection. However in reality I don't. 

Ive restarted everything..mobile 5 g is working (and I am connected via its wifi now) so it's working. Seems the Smart modem whilst recognising the device is not transferring data. 

Any ideas??

The reason there is no internet when the Smart modem is connected to the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro is because both use the same subnet for the LAN. For internet to work you have to either change the LAN subnet in the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro  or the Smart modem. There are instructions for changing the LAN IP subnet in section  27 of the document linked in these posts.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

The Smart Modem has 4G Backup..  when that is active, there is a blue light on the front, if NBN internet is active the light is green..  what colour is showing?

To make sure that the 4G backup works, disconnect the cable from the grey DSL or red WAN port and wait 4 or 5 minutes for 4G to kick in..  then see how you go..

With the 5G modem solution, did you connect the 5G modem port to the Smart Modem WAN port or some other connection?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
3LERGY

The 4g backup starts but then disconnects. Very unstable it seems. 

The 5g is connected via the ethernet port using the cable previously connected to the NBN unit that goes into the WAN port on the Smart modem.

I have a full green light with that connection. 

I also removed the SIM in case it had a conflict. 

3LERGY

Also on the Smart Modem page the only thing red is the DSL disconnected

SteveW_52

The Smart Modem could be doing updates over 4G..  leave it connected for an hour or more and see if the 4G mode becomes stable - and make sure the DSL/WAN cable is disconnected..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
3LERGY

Thanks. It was on for a full 12 hours before I started doing anything 

SteveW_52

If the Smart Modem is not switched to 4G mode, then the SIM shouldn't affect it.

So when the 5G modem is not connected, the SM2 indicator is blue for a while and then changes? What does it do when it goes off..  does a sequence of lights occur, or does it go off and then go back to blue? How long is the modem connected for before that happens..

How many devices do you have connected to the smart modem and are they connected by Wi-Fi of ethernet cable..  safest way if to disconnect everything except one device that is connected by cable..  if the whole setup works OK like that, then start adding other devices until a problem occurs..

Stevo 52
cf4
Accepted Solution

@3LERGY wrote:

Any ideas??

The reason there is no internet when the Smart modem is connected to the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro is because both use the same subnet for the LAN. For internet to work you have to either change the LAN subnet in the Telstra 5g Wifi Pro  or the Smart modem. There are instructions for changing the LAN IP subnet in section  27 of the document linked in these posts.

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smartmodem-Gen-2-Technicolor-version-...

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 LH1000
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Telstra-Smart-Modem-Gen-2-Arcadyan-version-LH...

View solution in original post

3LERGY

Thanks that makes sense. I'll give it a go.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit