Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

New Router: ASUS AX3000, Higher Latency/any extra settings needed?

Hello, I bought an ASUS AX3000 Router to have more stable connection and have higher range and so far, everything works good for the most part. Recently I got into my break and so I am playing more video games and I realised that I'm experiencing higher latency (about 80/90ms) when I used to usually get around 60ms sometimes even lower. I wanted to know if there was any setting I have forgotten to configure that might possibly fix my latency problems. I am on NBN HFC with NBN 100/40. My speeds are fine I'm getting 90mbps download. In addition to the higher latency I think there is a small delay now whenever I request a new website or anything.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: New Router: ASUS AX3000, Higher Latency/any extra settings needed?

Hi George-Aziz,

Nice setup!

I'm only stabbing in the dark, so this may not be the issue, but I am wondering what your DNS settings are set to. Are you using DHCP to get auto-assigned DNS servers from Telstra, or have you assigned a DNS server manually? What makes me think this is your comment about a small delay whenever you request a new web site. DNS is the service which translates an Internet site - e.g. www.google.com - into an IP address. If you are using a DNS server which is in a different country it's possible you are getting IP addresses of overseas versions of content distribution networks instead of Australian ones, and your traffic is taking longer, as well as name server lookups taking longer.

Or, perhaps you are using a VPN which makes you appear to be in a different country (for instance, to get around streaming media geographic restrictions) or you have an overly aggressive endpoint security (anti-virus) program that is screening all your traffic for threats.

Any of these will definitely cause you to experience network delays.

I'll be interested to hear how this goes; working in enterprise IT it's always a frustrating experience when someone says "the network is slow" and you're trying to chase something ethereal to figure it out.

I will find a way or make one.
International IT consultant and author.

If I have helped you, please consider giving a kudos to my posting Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Hi, Thanks for your reply. It could possibly be DNS, but I'm not 100% sure.

Do you know how to check DNS on router?

Is it router specific or on each device?

I saw you are talking about DHCP, my router is currently on aggressive mode for DHCP frequency query

Highlighted
Level 20: Director

Hi - there should be a screen that shows you the DNS Servers in the Router WAN or Internet settings itself - the devices are pointed to the Router Gateway for getting connection to the DNS servers listed there. If you replaced your NBN modem with the ASUS Router, it may be linking to default Telstra DNS Servers (Primary and Secondary) for your State. These servers are also linked to Telstra Broadband Protection screening, so @dataexcellence  is suggesting by changing your DNS server entries to e.g. Google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 you may avoid potential delays encountered with the current settings.

ASUS Game Routers also have a Trend Micro filter on them for user protection and if enabled in default, may be causing the slight delay you are witnessing in connection.  If you have used your PC for many years, it may be that your web browser Data Cache and History files are clogged up, the browser first checks them before connection, so clearing them out from time to time improves web page connectivity response times. 

Highlighted

Okay, so it seems that changing from automatic to Google's DNS has solved the issue of the delay when requesting anything.

I now just the other issue which is latency. I dont know if there is anything that I can do about it or just simply Telstra. I have tested my router and my Telstra provided Router and they both function the same in terms of latency which is leading me to believe that I can't really do anything about that

Highlighted

I assume you only have the ASUS router connected to the Arris HFC modem and the Telstra modem is not involved in your current configuration. Are you using the Asus Gaming LAN port which may place a QoS priority for any wired device connected to it or is your device connecting through Wi-Fi to the ASUS? If both units give you the same latency result, it implies that the path to the destination address is determining the outcome and this will vary from time to time. On a LAN you may have 4ms ping test delay but with a WAN connection that requires connectivity through many external network routers, sometimes up to 20 or more links if overseas, an under 100ms is an incredible engineering feat - that's 1/10th of a second.

If you open up a Command CMD screen on a PC and type  tracert, space, followed by the web site and then enter key, you will see the paths your connection follows which may indicate where potential causes of delay are encountered - "Request time out" may show up in between lines particularly in overseas countries as it seeks alternative paths to the target site. All connections are routed by the Internet at time of connection, so no ability to control direction and latency from your end. 

ASUS cater to the Gaming Industry with their ROG offerings, some have special VPN arrangements to assist with latency improvements. I have no experience with ASUS, but they certainly seem to cater well to the gaming industry with their ROG PCs and Routers.  

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit